Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

> the point is: Wine doesn't run on XP

+1 Agreed.
Wine runs on Linux which can be run in a virtual machine on XP; ReactOS in a VM would be more direct.
Also: Wine plus XP in a VM, both on Linux; or XP in a VM on ReactOS

Linux+Wine or ReactOS (or Vista+) on a separate physical machine can then be remotely accessed from the XP machine.
Linux+Wine or ReactOS (or Vista+) on a separate physical machine can then be accessed with a KVM (keyboard+video+mouse) switch.

And: Dual-booting to run non-XP software when only one physical machine is available is always a popular option.

I have no interest in that game at all but it was interesting how they decided people were using DX9 to get rid of shadows versus people using DX9 because that's all their video card was capable of....unless they are going to provide DX9 feature level support with DX11 so people with DX9 cards can still play the game. They probably aren't though since people with DX9 cards are poor and shouldn't be playing games on old hardware. (Usual Steam forum user answer). heh. Wonder if Linux users care about this since ProtonDB recommends disabling DX11.

Edited by DosFreak

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 4:54 AM, FranceBB said:

The k-lite codec pack makes the decoders like LAV available to the system by letting it handling the decoding. This way, every programme that relies on DirectShowSource can use them. Potplayer  doesn't rely on DSS as it uses its own decoders based on the Open Media Codecs, however it does support DSS if the user specifically selects it. 

By the way, I'm glad that you are using Potplayer. As you can see, it uses less resources than VLC 'cause VLC is based on a very old core engine which was fine many years ago, but not nowadays. Besides, if you dig into the Potplayer settings, you'll notice that you can even choose how you are going to pass the data to the GPU (OpenGl, D3D9 ecc) which is very important for a player for me.

After a more intense use i've found its only Achilles heel: volume up is limited , whilst VLC offer (with + key or mouse wheel)  a higher volume, about twice. 

27 minutes ago, Vistaboy said:

Your repository is the best XP resource out there :cool:

Thank you. Many years ago I began archiving MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95 resources that in my opinion were increasingly becoming endangered but that were of historical significance.

I eventually uploaded these online in 2011 as many of these resources are extremely rare and cannot be replaced. Having this stuff backed up with server redundancies and failover is a safer method of preservation. Some of the original links online for this softwareare dead (even with the wayBack Machine) which is where my site comes into play. I didn't want my physical media to be the only source, particularly since physical media tends to degrade over time. That gradually grew into numerous directories for NT 4.0, 98, 2000, and XP. I generally skipped ME and Vista as I was not fond of either OS.

I think that people should have complete unfettered freedom to use the software they know and love. If it does the job it was intended to do, it's not obsolete. I don't think people should be forced along by "planned obsolescence" or by corporations whose interest is to make money.

Edited by sdfox7

On 2/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, sdfox7 said:

Thank you. Many years ago I began archiving MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows 95 resources that in my opinion were increasingly becoming endangered but that were of historical significance.

I eventually uploaded these online in 2011 as many of these resources are extremely rare and cannot be replaced. Having this stuff backed up with server redundancies and failover is a safer method of preservation. Some of the original links online for this softwareare dead (even with the wayBack Machine) which is where my site comes into play. I didn't want my physical media to be the only source, particularly since physical media tends to degrade over time. That gradually grew into numerous directories for NT 4.0, 98, 2000, and XP. I generally skipped ME and Vista as I was not fond of either OS.

I think that people should have complete unfettered freedom to use the software they know and love. If it does the job it was intended to do, it's not obsolete. I don't think people should be forced along by "planned obsolescence" or by corporations whose interest is to make money.

Now that's a perfect example of common sense, ironically enough - a thing not too common in this world nowadays... :) Nothing to add to that, really.

Let's just hope that React OS will be good enough before it's too late.

• 2 weeks later...

The last version of NextPVR compatible with XP and still available for download is 4.0.4, released in July 2017. (You would need a TV tuner to make use of this software, which is similar to Windows Media Center.) Beginning with 4.1.0 (March 2018), NextPVR required .NET Framework 4.6, and NextPVR 5 requires .NET Core.

Edited by Vistapocalypse
fix links broken due to NextPVR's new forum software

• 2 weeks later...