Latest Version of Software Running on XP

pointertovoid

There might be old corporate websites that still relies on Silverlight, and as long as M$ officially provides support, they need to update... beware corporate lawyers, rarrrr!

Last year I had to open Internet Explorer for once, as I needed to view some boring corporate broadcast and only IE was capable of displaying it - technology relied on Silverlight :)

6 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

There might be old corporate websites that still relies on Silverlight, and as long as M$ officially provides support, they need to update... beware corporate lawyers, rarrrr!

Last year I had to open Internet Explorer for once, as I needed to view some boring corporate broadcast and only IE was capable of displaying it - technology relied on Silverlight :)

This explains why I couldn’t get it to work in Chrome 49 on XP.

I have had Silverlight installed for years but I didn’t realize that Silverlight only works in Internet Explorer!

It worked on older browser version having support for NPAPI plugins,. At work I have Windows 10 workstation, so Firefox 53+, newest chrome, or Edge are the competitors, and when I received my computer, all were too new to support Silverlight :)

13 hours ago, dencorso said:

Interesting. Runs fine in IE8, Advanced Chrome (NPAPI support restored), and NM 28, but not Seamonkey 2.49.5 or Basilisk/UXP (neither official on Win 7 nor Roytam's build on XP). On those I just get prompted to install Silverlight :unsure:

Anyway, it's clearly XP-compatible.

Edited by Mathwiz

13 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Interesting. Runs fine in IE8 and NM 28, but not Basilisk/UXP (neither official on Win 7 nor Roytam's build on XP). On those I just get prompted to install Silverlight :unsure:

Strange! It runs OK on Basilisk/UXP (Roytam1's on XP SP3) for me on three different installations (in different machines). Are you sure you've activated the Silverlight Plugin? Does your Basilisk/UXP installations even list the Plugin?

Yes, it's there and set to Always Activate.

Edit: Turning off e10s didn't help. It runs in Safe Mode though, so it's probably conflicting with some add-on.

Edit 2: Found it! It was Canvas Blocker.

Edited by Mathwiz

IMO This project is more suitable to be a wiki page, and only contains software that has stopped WinXP release, i.e. only "LAST" version, not latest.

Add some :

R,  3.4.4

ThrottleStop, 8.60

sigcheck, 2.30

FoxitReader, 9.01

FileZilla, 3.9.0.1

FileZilla_Server, 0.9.43

Wireshark, 1.12.13

adb, 1.0.32

Sandboxie, 5.22

VirtualBox, 5.2.22

gajim, 0.16.9

3 hours ago, luweitest said:

VirtualBox, 5.2.22

From VBox's download page:

Please also use version 5.2 if you still need support for 32-bit hosts, as this has been discontinued in 6.0. Version 5.2 will remain supported until July 2020.

So it will most likely still get updates for the next 18 months.

1 hour ago, Bersaglio said:

WinRAR 5.70 Beta-1 has been released today (confirmed working on Windows XP SP3)

Link to English version: https://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar57b1.exe

What's new in latest version: https://www.rarlab.com/rarnew.htm

So WinRAR 5.70 Final will still be compatible with XP SP3 :yes:

Atleast WinRAR has a place of love for xp :)

Wine is pretty much based on XP, but it has recently been updated to support some Vista and 7 functions, but it's far from being a fully functional Windows 7 alternative. Anyway, Wine doesn't run on XP, but the project is open source and led me to the integration of part of its call in various ways, like whenever I have to backport a programme. There's also project made by Samuel that it's called One Core API that integrates several Wine implementations and it's a custom kernel, but of course it's far from being perfect and although it provides some useful implementations, it's far from being a fully functional compatibility layer (and I can't even link it here).

Anyway, the point is: Wine doesn't run on XP, but even if it would, it wouldn't be like having Win 7 and complex programmes wouldn't work anyway.

Edited by FranceBB