Mouse works on one USB port but not another port?

Nomen

Got a Dell laptop I use as a test system when I create new win-7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit install images using RT7.  So it doesn't get a lot of use.  There's a couple of corded  USB mice that I use on the system depending where I happen to set it up and turn it on.  I notice that one mouse works on either of 2 USB ports on the right side of the laptop, while the second mouse only works on one of the ports.  The laptop gives the usual tone-chime sound when either mouse is plugged in and removed from either port.    Any idea what's going on here?  I thought that things "Just Worked (tm)" with Windoze 7?

8 hours ago, Nomen said:

Got a Dell laptop I use as a test system when I create new win-7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit install images using RT7.  So it doesn't get a lot of use.  There's a couple of corded  USB mice that I use on the system depending where I happen to set it up and turn it on.  I notice that one mouse works on either of 2 USB ports on the right side of the laptop, while the second mouse only works on one of the ports.  The laptop gives the usual tone-chime sound when either mouse is plugged in and removed from either port.    Any idea what's going on here?  I thought that things "Just Worked (tm)" with Windoze 7?

Is the USB port that isn't working USB3? Windows 7 doesn't have USB3 drivers included with the install, so to get those ports working you'll need to install those drivers from your manufacturers website

This laptop is a core i7 and dates to I think 2011 and I don't think it has USB3 - I think the only way to give it USB3 is through a docking station or slide out the CD drive and slide in a USB3 card.  But none of that should matter because I have one mouse (mouse A) that works in both ports and another mouse (mouse B) that works in only one of them.  Windows gives off that sound (like a guitar being plucked) when either mouse is plugged into or removed from either port.

41 minutes ago, Nomen said:

This laptop is a core i7 and dates to I think 2011 and I don't think it has USB3 - I think the only way to give it USB3 is through a docking station or slide out the CD drive and slide in a USB3 card.  But none of that should matter because I have one mouse (mouse A) that works in both ports and another mouse (mouse B) that works in only one of them.  Windows gives off that sound (like a guitar being plucked) when either mouse is plugged into or removed from either port.

Ah I get it now, I was under the impression that neither of the mice worked in the port. Perhaps mouse B itself is faulty? Could be a loose contact that just about makes a connection in the first port but doesn't in the second port?

> Perhaps mouse B itself is faulty? Could be a loose contact that just about makes a connection in the first port but doesn't in the second port?

But I get the guitar-sound when mouse B is plugged into or out of either port.  So Windows must be able to see it being plugged in and unplugged, so there must be some communication with mouse B in either port.   I define "working" when I move the mouse and the arrow moves on-screen.  The led or laser light is visible/on when mouse B is plugged into either port.