Macromedia MX 2004 Silent Installation

dope[x]

Hey ho everybody! I gues this is my first post in this forum so I wanted to say that I'm from Austria, and that my english is very worse, so please be handsom ;-)

I read a few questions about installing Macromedia MX 2004 and that there were problems with the InstalliShild that don't create a setup.iss file.

I got the Problem too, and solved it.

here is what i've found out:

When you download e.g. Macromedia Dreamwaver MX 2004 and you run the setup file with paramter /R then there is no setup.iss in your windows directory.

The Problem is that the Macromedia Installer file , you download, is packed. That mean the installer unpack his files into a temp directory located under "c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<user>\Lokal Settings\Temp\pft24.tmp\Disk1".. or something like this. So these files called

data1.cab, data2.cab, layout.bin, ..... , setup.exe

this setup.exe is the one you can start witch the swich -R to create a setup.iss file :-)

So, but there is a little problem, it's not possible to copy these files until the "real" install shild has starded. I found out a way to copy these files.

Download Kerio personal Firewall, it's freeware thats nice.. and it has the feature that it can figure out when an application launch another application and that is it!

So now when you start the macromedia installer there will be an Alert Window, says something like "Application launched another Application" in our case is the InstallShild launched by the Macromedia Installer. Ok when you clik on Details, the first line will be the Application Path, copy this path (don't copy the setup.exe at the end) and copy this Folder (called Disk1) on your Desktop (or anywhere else, but not in the Temp order where it is loacted, otherwise it will be deleted when you close the installer)

So now you got the InstallShild setup.exe, just launch it with the parameter

setup -s -f1"<path of the setup.iss>" -f2"<path for an log file>"

that could look like:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Dreamweaver\Setup.exe -s -f1\"%CDROM%\Software\Dreamweaver\setup.iss\" -f2\"%windir%\temp\install.log\" /f

I hope I could help.... and I also hope you understand what i wrote ;-)

cYa David

• 3 weeks later...

i have another tip on using dreamweaver MX 2004

u download it (or get it from the studio mx 2004 disc under <cddrive>:\FSCOMMAND\DW_Client_installer.exe

u need to extract that one with winrar for example then u have the installshield wizard..

Have fun!

• 1 month later...