Where is the best place to get a ls-120 superdisk drive?

Kippykip

I've been trying to find an internal LS-120 drive (imation?).

Since my motherboard only lets me have 1 drive at a time, I can't use the 5.25" and the 3.5" without unplugging one whenever I want to use it. So I'd get a superdisk one instead since it uses IDE and is backwards compatible.

Problem is, I can't even find one, looking all over ebay.com.au just shows the disks themselves. On ebay.com I can find some but none deliver to Australia.
So what would be the best place to get one?

They show up from time to time, what is extremely difficult to find is an "internal" version "plain" IDE/ATA one, what you will find more likely is the external version (for the Mac) with the USB interface, but inside it there is a "normal" 3.5" IDE/ATA device, the issue might be with the front bezel that will need some adaptations.

Of course if they come from the US or some other place the shipping will be very high.

I can find several ones:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=imation+superdisk&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Ximation+superdisk+drive.TRS0&_nkw=imation+superdisk+drive&_sacat=0

but definitely they are not cheap.

jaclaz

Strangely, there seems to only be 1 seller that has an IDE model on all of Ebay, this one from Germany:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272378917991

Although, finding them on Ebay seems difficult in itself. I found this one by way of Amazon but not from searching ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252384881340

Wikipedia says that SuperDisk was popular in Australia, enough that the LS-240 was released over there, but none of those can be found on Ebay either. If there is a popular classified site for Australia outside of Ebay, that would be a place to look also.

Recycled Goods, in California uses to have them from time to time, though not right now, it seems.
They've provided me my two YE Data YD 8U10 USB External 3.5 FDD units, which still work great, so I know they offer good quality used hardware and ship abroad (I'm in Brazil). Visit them from time to time or send them an e-mail indicating your interest, and they may even source one for you. Good luck!

• 2 years later...

Old machines were good at driving 5 1/4 floppy drives.  With Pentium 111 the KB access times had to be set to 6 stokes per second or less if BIOS had adjustment. This slowed down access to floppy drive so that 5 1/4  had a chance. I installed a 5 1/4 at the end of a long floppy cable and a 3 1/2 in the middle named A and B drives. The drive on the middle connection run at twice the access times as the 5 1/4 one at the end so the 3 1/2 had to be a good one, 2002+ models.

46 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Old machines were good at driving 5 1/4 floppy drives.  With Pentium 111 the KB access times had to be set to 6 stokes per second or less if BIOS had adjustment. This slowed down access to floppy drive so that 5 1/4  had a chance. I installed a 5 1/4 at the end of a long floppy cable and a 3 1/2 in the middle named A and B drives. The drive on the middle connection run at twice the access times as the 5 1/4 one at the end so the 3 1/2 had to be a good one, 2002+ models.

And how is this related to a three years old thread abour LS-120's? :dubbio:

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

And how is this related to a three years old thread abour LS-120's? :dubbio:

jaclaz

Damn... It's been 3 years already?
Not sure if any of you are curious but I did get a LS-120 drive off Ebay.com, I had to private message some people to post to Australia but I got there in the end.

Back from the past. You want proof, I got it. The machine is still assembled, l am glad I checked as I have done it an other way :- in parallel. It must be better or easier to get going in parallel. https://msfn.org/board/topic/180643-how-to-make-5-14-3-12-drives-work-on-a-single-cable/?tab=comments#comment-1172919

Edited by Goodmaneuver

5 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

Back  from the past. You want proof, I got it. 

We don't want proof, we want puff. :buehehe:

15 hours ago, dencorso said:

No idea... then again, I'm positive whatever @Goodmaneuver smoked sure was good!!! :P

Whatever Goodmaneuver was smoking is probably good because it has aged. ;) 

14 hours ago, Kippykip said:

Damn... It's been 3 years already?
Not sure if any of you are curious but I did get a LS-120 drive off Ebay.com, I had to private message some people to post to Australia but I got there in the end.

Yeah, time is very, very good at passing fast :(.

Good to know you managed to solve the issue. :)

jaclaz