2k driver installation problems - Lenovo Y570 and Z565

Win98

Alright.. I successfully installed 2000 Pro that has been updated with HFSLIP 2000, but now I'm having other issues. First was on my Lenovo Z565 laptop. I couldn't get any USB devices to work on it, nor could I install a graphics driver. Whenever i would try to manually install the drivers, I would receive a message stating "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware", which is stupid, because it does. I then installed 2000 on my Y570 laptop and had the same issue. No USB or graphics, same error message when trying to install. 

I do not recall having this issue in the past when I had 2k on 2 other new (relative to the age of 2k) computers. I didn't use HFSLIP on them though. Is it possible that HFSLIP changed something to prevent me from installing these? It wouldn't make sense that it would, but it's a theory. I installed UURollup on the Z565 and it didn't help, and I'm holding off on installing it on the Y570 in case I need to install something else first.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Also, is there any way to get a "compatibility tab" like in the newer versions of Windows or like KernelEx gave to windows 9x? That was always a lifesaver when installing things on my 98 laptop.

Thanks!

Edited by Win98

Hi Win98!

I have no experience with your Lenovo Z565, but I did use Hfslip for W2k and no issue with Usb 2.0 nor with graphics drivers, which worked just as well (...to be optimistic) as without using Hfslip.

I did recently have a worry with drivers for a Geforce 8400gs that apparently included that hardware but effectively didn't, because the v3 series of 8400gs is a more recent Gt218 chip that differs a lot from v2 and v1 (other dX model!) and demands a specific driver unavailable for W2k. Just to tell that the message "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware" may be true and needs a thorough investigation based on the complete chip identity.