Looking for a games collection for 9x system!

Nic9x

Heya, i hope this is a topic that is alright to post about, does anyone know a good site where i can get windows 9x games in a big bundle?

had been looking for collections lately that would work with windows 98.

I find most of my games locally at thrift or flea markets. Online can be a problem because the shipping can really add up. If Ebay is not your thing, there are some alternatives like other classified sites. I do not know one for Denmark. I know there is Priceminister.com for France, where I go to look for things sometimes.

If you are talking about download only games, I'm not sure. I don't deal with those really.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem is that the commercial sites like gog.com have games designed for modern systems. They will take old games and make them playable on your Windows 10! Because of that, I do not know what is entailed with getting those games to work on a Windows 9x system. For some of them, on Steam also, I can't believe that the original game is changed in any way to allow for use on a modern system. I have heard that some have DosBox to run them in, but that will be on a case-by-case basis.

Unfortunately, none of the popular internet distribution services (GOG, steam, Origin etc.) cares about Windows 98 anymore, they're designed for XP and newer systems. Ant thus, there is no actual way to simply buy a bundle and download to an old machine, install and play.

However, you may get a decent collection of games at a reasonable price, with a bit of work.

If you are about digital distribution, you might buy a games, download them to some newer PCs and try to move them to your old machine. DOS games are mostly run using DOSBOX, and thus you can simply copy game's files to your old machine and omit the emulator, they will run just fine. Quickly googling around I've found out that there are some ways to unwrap GOG installers and get these games to run on older systems, but this would require some research and work from you. Alternatively, you might Look for games that were made free, and I don't mean Abandonware (cos this will probably violate board rules in some ways), but Titles published by their devs/distributors on some open licence years after releasing. For example, early Command and Conquer strategy games were released for free, when C&C Red Alert 3 was advertised (promotion site is gone, but mirrors are still available over the internet). Similar happened to Grant theft Auto and Grant theft Auto 2 (played the latter one not some time ago and it still kicks a**!). Liberatedgaems.com was a site that aggregated such games, unfortunately, now I can only find it's Wayback Machine snapshot.

But if you are not afraid about getting real CDs and physical stuff, you might try getting them. Local markets, internet auctions, maybe some local Video Game or computer stores might have some old goodies hidden. As mentioned previously, this might get unreasonably expensive, but with some patience, you might gather a nice collection over a time. Or, you might buy a collection of a CDs/DVDs attached to a gaming magazines. Here in Poland it is still common to add full version of video game (or two, or three) to a 5$ worth gaming magazine, and often these can be cheaply found on internet auctions(polish site):

http://allegro.pl/cd-action-cda-2006-13-numerow-plyty-stan-bdb-i6630654632.html

Just an example, here you have 13 DVDs from 2006 for ~20$. Games are usually few years older than the magazine release, so we might estimate that games are from ~2002, so they might run on Win 98 quite well. They're mostly in English, and if not... hey, isn't it a charm of an old times, when you played a games that you didn't understand a word from them? :> However, I don't know if this this kind of game distribution worked.

That's right, a year or so ago GOG started to "wrap" old games in order to run them on new systems. However, in some cases, I was able to install GOG game to new OS and "unwrap" the game and copy it for the old OS. There was simply a folder with the original old game inside. However, GOG games cannot be installed on Windows 98 directly already.