Skipping messages in text mode?

i know its a bit wierd :) hehe... i always seem to be sitting at the PC watching that part of setup though, wishing it were quicker somehow (like installing all those drivers you dont need, like Toshiba floppy disk driver and crap like that)... my unattend disk i still have to choose a partition, type in name, organisation, computer name and admin password.... so they're not fully unattended...

Would it be safe to just delete those unnecessary entries from txtsetup.sif, so they don't load on setup - as mentioned, all the drivers for SCSI h/w, etc - though I haven't tried this, but am just wondering if it'd work (it worked when I did similar for my video card to work, by deleting the nv4_ values - assuming I knew which values to delete, as there are likely double-ups somewhere.

if you were to delete stromgs from txtsetup.sif regarding all those scsi cards and whatnot.... they be in the [sCSI.LOAD] section. They other don't matter all that much if they don't load to begin with.

I've never tried to do that, you could maybe hex setupdd.sys and maybe disable those messages there.

You would only save about 5 seconds though. You would save a lot more time by removing stuff you don't need, that loads at the bottom of the screen. To do this just load setupreg.hiv as a hive in regedit, then edit the currentcontrolset and remove stuff you don't need. Remember: text mode does not have plug and play. Therefore any drivers that people would need are all loaded, no matter if you have the harware or not. I sped up setup safely by about 5-10 seconds by just deleting the cpq drivers (compaq). You should be careful though, because if you remove an essential driver the computer won't boot.

-gosh.

• 2 weeks later...