Windows failed to start - 0xc0000000E

Nomen

I cloned a 160 gb drive to a 1 tb drive using Ghost 2003, but the clone won't boot. I get a text-screen telling me "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software chance might be the cause. To fix the problem..." Status: 0xc0000000E Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I'm thinking that maybe the 100 mb recovery partition was resized on the clone (I know it was because I couldn't match the original size while resizing the data partition to the full size of the destination drive).

Anyways, I have a bootable USB thumb drive with win-7 installation CD created by RT7 so I booted from it but was not able to get the recovery/repair option to show itself. All it wanted to do was to install win-7 on the target drive, gave me no option to repair the existing install. It knows there is an existing install because if I go one step into the install it tells me that it detects an existing install and it will move it to an alternate folder.

The PC (a net-book) has no optical drive, so what-ever I'm going to have to do will have to be via thumb drive - or take the drive out and slave it to another (desktop) system (?) and perform the repair on it while in slave mode? Or can I make the drive the primary/only drive on the desktop system and boot from actual win-7 CD and will it perform the repair without needing to boot into windows?

And why can't I get recovery/repair options when booting the RT7-prepared thumb drive?

Well, check what you have actually done (the result of your "cloning", which is BTW not at a ll a "cloning"), boot from the installation CD and run (Shift+F10 to get to the command prompt) check the existence and size of the partitions (and the "active" status) using diskpart (if I get it right you have a tiny "boot" - what MS calls "system" - partition that normally has no drive letter assigned and a large "system" - what MS calls "boot" - partition that normally gets drive letter C:\ ) then run BCDBOOT:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744347(v=ws.10).aspx

jaclaz

I connected the cloned drive back into the desktop PC used to perform the original cloning, no other drives were connected except CD-rom drive.  I booted an MS win-7 CD and let it proceed to the GUI install screen so I could get the option to "repair your drive".  That option is not available for some reason when you boot the same CD but press F8 during boot to get the text-screen options.

Pressing the "repair your drive" button and I got the message that it was detecting a problem with the boot partition - or perhaps not knowing what was or where was the boot partition (D?) but it determined or indicated it knew how to fix the problem and my only choice was to perform the fix, which I did and which happened instantly, and I shut down the system and put the clone drive back into the netbook where it booted perfectly, no issues, no messages.  The clone functioned exactly as the original.