How long does Win Update take to check for updates?

osRe

On your computer, how long does Windows Update take for the initial "checking for updates" phase? Before even showing the list of available updates.

It seems to me like this phase is getting longer and longer, but I don't do it often so I don't remember clearly. Running it now, I've been waiting 15+ minutes.

Edited by shae

If you install the latest Flash Player update for IE, provided by MS, before checking for updates, it will take less than 5 minutes. However, if you check for updates without the latest Flash Player update, it can take 1 hour (this phenomenon happened to me!).

It's a weird situation indeed. It happened on 8.1 for me. Don't know if 8.0 is affected.

Hope this helps!

I've never installed IE/Flash's update separately. After posting the original message, I've waited more than an hour but it never finished "checking". Apparently something's broken here more than the usual long delay. The behavior was the same after using some fix from Microsoft that resets WU's cache/whatever. I haven't tried yet other measures, or even just restarting Windows.

Since I haven't checked for updates in 1-2 months my current theory is that it could be related to Microsoft's new all-in-one updates system which is in effect since 3 weeks ago.

Edited by shae

On 11/1/2016 at 2:51 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

If you install the latest Flash Player update for IE, provided by MS, before checking for updates, it will take less than 5 minutes. However, if you check for updates without the latest Flash Player update, it can take 1 hour (this phenomenon happened to me!).

It's a weird situation indeed. It happened on 8.1 for me. Don't know if 8.0 is affected.

Hope this helps!

Besides, installing the latest Flash Player ActiveX update for IE, install updates KB3173424 (July 2016 servicing stack) AND KB3172614 (July 2016 update rollup).  The KB3172614 update won't install without having either KB3021910 or KB3173424 update installed first.  KB3172614 updates the Windows Update Agent/Client app on Win8.1. to v7.9.9600.18340, which has the proper "optimizations" mentioned in Microsoft KB article 3163023.  The updated WUA for Win8.1 from the KB3161606 and KB3172614 updates makes svchost.exe use LESS RAM and WU scans should take between 3 to 6 minutes.

By the way, under Win8.0 (build 9200), always takes between 10 to 15 minutes AND gobbles up to 2 GIGs of RAM (I'm not joking) when checking for updates - I measured how svchost.exe eats up between 1.5Gb to 2Gb of RAM with Task Manager on the Details tab during WU scans (enable Columns "CPU Time" and "Peak working set (memory)" for Task Manager).  Latest versions of the Windows Update Agent are v7.8.9200.17172 (GDR) & v7.8.9200.21289 (LDR/QFE) from KB3013767 December 2014 update rollup for Win8.0.  Installing the newest flash player activex update for Win8.0 doesn't do much to speed up WU scans on Win8.0.

Also the latest Flash Player ActiveX update is KB3201860, even for Win8.0 embedded standard - I downloaded this fix myself from MS Update Catalog and it CAN install on the "client" version of Win8.0, even if MS dropped support for the client version of Win8.0 on 1/12/2016.

20 hours ago, erpdude8 said:

By the way, under Win8.0 (build 9200), always takes between 10 to 15 minutes AND gobbles up to 2 GIGs of RAM (I'm not joking) when checking for updates

Yes, it does (and even more than 2 GBs of RAM), who knows why. But checking for updates doesn't take more than 5 minutes for me when it is done automatically, if I (have the time to) check for updates manually it usually takes less than 30 seconds! I don't know why this difference exists, however if I try to check manually for updates and the system has started doing it already the procedure takes longer. I have Windows Update Agent 7.8.9200.16924 from Windows Update's self autoupdate.

For what it's worth, I just updated my Win 8.1 Enterprise Eval VM to start to get to know the latest set of updates, and it took only a minute or two to find the 6 + 3 or so available updates.  I normally keep the Windows Update service disabled, so this was a manually-initiated check.

-Noel

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2019 at 3:39 AM, KAILITY said:

It seems to me like this phase is getting longer and longer, but I don't do it often so I don't remember clearly. Running it now, I've been waiting 15+ minutes.

which Win8.x version are you using, KAILITY?  Win8.0 or Win8.1?

HarryTri is using Win8.0 (NT 6.2.9200) and the WUA (windows update agent) version on his system is 7.8.9200.16924.