Nvidia GTX 960 4GB VRAM on Windows XP?

Windows 2000

I am going to upgrade my secondary Windows XP machine and according to nvidia driver's site, GTX 960 is the latest supported gpu.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105040/en-us

It seems like it's going to work, but after doing some research on Google, some people said that it wouldn't work because Windows XP 32-bit doesn't support more than 3GB.

Even if it's true, would it work on Windows XP 64-bit, since there's also a driver for it and it's not a problem for me to install it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Edited by Windows 2000

The worst case scenario if it works anything like regular system ram, you just wouldn't have access to the entire 4GBs on a 32-bit based system. Of course the highest I've still ever worked with was 256MBs so I've never had that issue to deal with so I can't really be much more help than that.

4 hours ago, Dibya said:

Surely it will work.

You can even use TitanX.

see this guide :: http://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

remeber titan x only not pascal version. I have not tested still yet.

Titan X Pascal is based on the new Nvidia GTX 1000 Series, so until someone gets GTX 1080/70/60, it's impossible to get Titan X Pascal.

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

The worst case scenario if it works anything like regular system ram, you just wouldn't have access to the entire 4GBs on a 32-bit based system. Of course the highest I've still ever worked with was 256MBs so I've never had that issue to deal with so I can't really be much more help than that.

I was expecting that, but since I am going to install Windows XP x64, that's not much of a problem. :D

Thanks... Both of you. :lol:

Edited by Windows 2000

Well, in a 32bit system with the PAE enabled there's the HAL between the kernel and the hardware so that programs run in 32bit but the system can access 64 GB of RAM via 36bit thanks to the hardware abstraction layer, so I would say that it actually works for the 32bit OS.

@Windows 2000... just make sure that you enable the PAE via the patch "fix 128" or the Chinese one. https://mega.nz/#!ndsRFT4L!nOb6r6rq4kN7WcIsnrNOUYqAAclfu2zv3u2hTZS5eXk

Instructions for the Chinese one are in MSFN; feel free to PM me or @Dibya for istructions about fix 128 instead. ;)

Edited by FranceBB

3 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@FranceBB

Is there of the PAE patch (version 5.1.2600.6368 from May 2013) already an updated patch from the kernel of KB3191256 (version 5.1.2600.7146)?
Think about possible vulnerabilities.

Is there a problem with the USB drivers from XP?

:)

I have patched 5.1.2600.7146 also some most needful 2k3 usb files.

13 hours ago, FranceBB said:

@Windows 2000... just make sure that you enable the PAE via the patch "fix 128" or the Chinese one. https://mega.nz/#!ndsRFT4L!nOb6r6rq4kN7WcIsnrNOUYqAAclfu2zv3u2hTZS5eXk

Instructions for the Chinese one are in MSFN; feel free to PM me or @Dibya for istructions about fix 128 instead. ;)

So there's a way for me to use the original x32 bit version and have all of my 32 GB RAM? That's great news!

By the way, would Windows XP x32 recognize 8000 GB (8 TB) hard drives? 

Edited by Windows 2000

1 hour ago, HarryTri said:

It depends if they have 512 byte (limit 2 TB) or 4096 (limit 16 TB) sector size.

I still haven't purchased that 8tb hdd so there's still a chance for me to be able to pick the right one.

What if I get 2 or 3 hard drives that have 512 byte sector size and are 2 TB each?

Is there any limitations with SSDs? I am also planning to get one 1 TB SSD.

Edited by Windows 2000

15 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

I still haven't purchased that 8tb hdd so there's still a chance for me to be able to pick the right one.

What if I get 2 or 3 hard drives that have 512 byte sector size and are 2 TB each?

Is there any limitations with SSDs? I am also planning to get one 1 TB SSD.

I also own 3tb hdd . It is not a problem.

Surely 1tb ssd will work.

in each partition xp can see 2.2tb only under ntfs so what wrong in using exfat

Using internal SATA (or PATA aka IDE) HDD/SDD bigger than 2TiB (not 2TB) is courting failure. Do NOT do it!
Using external, USB, HDD/SDD bigger than 2TiB (not 2TB), because the USB stack works OK with 4KiB sectors.
For more on this, there's an extant sticky thread on this forum, so do read it.