Is it possible to patch WMP's Media Guide to something else?

Nic9x

Since evreyone here proberly know that the closeing of windows media quide made windows media player lose a big feature on its own, i do wonder if that could be patched to another website that had radio streaming with wma support.

Edited by Tommy
Fixed title for more attention

It's possible, but I don't recall anyone attempting it. I would think there should be a way to just change the address pointer in the program itself (by brute force of course). But I would like to say as well that it was a bit of a pain that this happened. I loved listening to KeepFreeMusic, the 60s oldies radio channel through WMP and even though you can still stream on their own site, it's just not the same.

Edit: I fixed your topic title so that it will hopefully attract more attention from users. :yes:

well, thanks for makeig it a more interesting titile atleast.

hopefully somebody would come with a idea since it baiscly kinda are useing internet explore in a way maybe or its own browser.

i was honestly also a bit sad on finding out that way because it was actually my first exspose to internet radio and media streaming in general.

Edited by Nic9x

Windows 10 -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/groove

Need I say more?

As a matter of fact, this link has a link to old site which redirects to Groove.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/44143-windows-media-player-media-guide-not-present.html

Unless it can be hacked to another "Media Guide" somehow you'll have to "work around" directly linking (I assume) a given song from a given website's streamed selections. :unsure:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/3882c42d-47be-42e8-8957-46405764c80c/internet-radio-on-windows-media-player-12?forum=w7itpromedia

Edited by submix8c

Nope, sorry, I don't. And yes, I know "Groove" is a pay service. That's why I said "need I say more" because it's about MS' OS+WMP+$$$. That was the whole point of indicating using (if possible/found) direct links to a given music file that can be "streamed". You did read the links saying as much, didn't you? The given websites will have a server streaming the file directly into WMP. MS tossed the MediaGuide (free) and instituted Groove ($$$). Did you note that Groove is also available for non-Windows OS Media Players as well? Again, it was about the $.

Good luck in your search for an alternative "free" media guide. If you find one, let us know.