Installing Windows 98 SE on Dell Latitude D630 with Intel GPU

cc333

Hi,

I've looked around here, here, and here, and I've installed these, but I'm still having issues with the thing.

With the "proper" amount of RAM (less than 512 MB), it installs fine. But when I try to boot in normal mode, it hangs at a black display. I got it to boot up once in normal mode and it detected a bunch of hardware (of course, there were no drivers for them), and then another hard freeze at "Finalizing Windows Settings" (or words to that effect), and any reboot into normal results in the black display again.

I've changed a bunch of BIOS settings (turning things on, turning them off), to no avail.

Thanks,

c

I had the exact experience with my Inspiron E1505- 19 times out of 20 system would freeze at "updating system settings".    I recently tried reinstalling from scratch and couldn't get past the system freeze no matter what I did.  I eventually had a successful install and I backed it up.  I think you'll have to do the trial and error method till you figure out what can work--- like installing  DX9 as soon as possible -(in safe mode if necessary)--which will probably be your biggest hurdle--at least it was for me.

I think the intel graphics is giving you the black screen or whatever graphics driver Windows is trying to load.  I got my black screens every time the  Nvidia driver loaded.

Hope this helps

You probably need my SATA Patch.

To verify this, go into Safe Mode and remove the Hard Disk Controller Driver.
Reboot into Normal Mode. It should work once.
The Driver will be reinstalled and it will not boot in normal mode again.

OK. I just tried that, and it didn't seem to change anything.

However, I was able to get it to boot once by removing the graphics drivers. But now it won't boot at all.

I installed the RAM patch, hoping it would change something, but it didn't :/

c

not sure if this would help, but if you can, i would try to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system without acpi enabled. you would do this by running "setup /p i" in the dos command line after formatting drive and copying cd contents to hard drive. there may also be some driver automatically installing that shouldn't like a power management driver, this might be more complicated to find out but try to see if you can the former first. i know i had a similar problem on one laptop to which i installed windows 98SE, i don't remember the exact one but i believe it used some nvidia chip / power management driver that prevented setup from fully installing. it's surprising what sort of things you need to do to get these older operating systems to run on these newer laptops, but they'll run fine afterwards, at least reasonably well.

the dell latitude d830 is a good example. it has this weird bug where the display cuts out very dimly when initiating certain updates in windows 98SE like the unofficial service pack where you have to use your phone's flashlight very close to the screen to see the writing and information and progress from there. i noticed this on two dell latitude d830 laptops so im pretty sure it wasn't a problem with the laptop physically. also you need to install with acpi disabled like i previously mentioned. this laptop would be better to use for 98SE than the d630. the dell latitude d630 is very good for windows 2000 though as it supports the intel gpu driver and all other drivers.

I thought the d830 and d630 were virtually identical from a hardware perspective? Now I have to go get one and find out for myself! :)

Anyway, I've decided not to try getting it on the d630 for now, opting instead to try putting it on my d620, whose somewhat older hardware, I would think, should allow me to run 98 more successfully.

I will try installing without acpi support, but as I'm using a Dell installer disk, it doesn't seem to be giving me the opportunity to run setup with that switch. I may have to reinstall, which isn't so bad, since the installer disk puts everything in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs, which makes rerunning "normal" setup very simple (and the SSD ought to make it really fast, too!)

I'll fill everyone in on how it goes.

c

Well, it looks like the D620 is more compatible!

Installation was flawless, there were very few crashes (which are seemingly related to the graphics acceleration), and I even have full support for the NVIDIA GPU!

Now I need to find/hack drivers for everything else....

At the very least, I'd like to figure out how to get the audio, ethernet and wifi working.

But for now, I can consider this a successful experiment :)

c

On 10/21/2016 at 1:11 AM, cc333 said:

Well, it looks like the D620 is more compatible!

Installation was flawless, there were very few crashes (which are seemingly related to the graphics acceleration), and I even have full support for the NVIDIA GPU!

Now I need to find/hack drivers for everything else....

At the very least, I'd like to figure out how to get the audio, ethernet and wifi working.

But for now, I can consider this a successful experiment :)

c

glad you got the gpu to work at least, im assuming you used the forceware 82.69 driver for the nvs 110m? wifi won't be a biggy to get working, worst comes to worst, you'll have to use a different mini pci card with wpa and aes support but which can still work with wsc gaurd 4.0 to connect to wpa2 routers, i haven't seen any mini pci wifi cards with direct wpa2 support on 98SE, the only wpa2 ones i know are the regular pci based ones for desktops such as the dwl-g520, the specific version was revision b. ethernet driver is supported for 98SE, i don't know about the other drivers. the chipset is ich7-m which isn't officially supported from intel but i think you can still get chipset drivers to install and work fine, i remember there was a unofficial ich7-m chipset driver support for 98SE but don't know where to get it. 

Thanks! I did use the unofficial 82.69 drivers, but I still can't get wifi working. I'll investigate installing a card that 98 supports. WPA2 would be nice, but it isn't mandatory.

I also installed the unofficial chipset drivers, though I'm having a weird problem where there's exclamation marks by two of the five "System board extension for ACPI BIOS" entries in Device Manager. Apparently, there's resource conflicts with one of the other System board..." entries, with the PCI Bus and one of the hard disk controllers.

Any ideas? When I try to change them manually, I get a "Not Allowed" message.

c

• 3 weeks later...

did you ever get the sound or other drivers to work on the dell latitude d620? i was thinking an easy and cheap solution would be to just buy one of those usb sound cards that act as a replacement towards existing sound cards, some people use them when the internal sound card goes bad, though im having a hard time finding out if the ones that mention 98SE really in fact support windows 98SE as there is sometimes false advertisement, most of them say they don't need drivers and use chipsets i never seen in older cards such as cmedia 108. i haven't looked at older drivers, the few inf files i looked at indicated many different pci ven devices so it would have taken too long to find out if the majority of them were supported on 98SE or not. one usb card im possibly looking at trying is the one in the below link, there was also a zalman one sold on ebay but was more expensive for the specific one i looked at, it used a different chipset.

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-External-Virtual-Audio-Adapter/dp/B004FE6UCE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1479068643&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+sound+card&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

I don't own a D620, but a D600...Since I spent so much time trying to find drivers for that model, I'm more than willing to help search
What wireless card model do you have? I'm not aware if Dell had the D620 in different configurations besides sometimes including a graphics card.

CNET...Not sure if this wireless card would work
http://download.cnet.com/Network-Dell-Wireless-1370-WLAN-MiniPCI-Card-Wireless-1390-WLAN-MiniCard-Wireless-1395-WLAN-MiniCard/3000-2112_4-177235.html
Another user (PROBLYMCH3LD) taught me that the driver of a wireless card can be modified/hacked to run on Windows 9x if its not missing any dependencies. I'm assuming if the card doesn't work, try contacting him and send him it, he maybe able to make it work.

According to the Dell website, the D620 uses the same ethernet controller (or whatever you call it) as the D600. If you have Broadcom 57XX, then here it is
http://support.advantech.com/support/DownloadSRDetail_New.aspx?SR_ID=1-13YAFU&Doc_Source=Download

Audio is "SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio" rather than 9750 for the D600...I've managed to find an old post from 2006 on the official dell website asking for one, but the link was broken...I'll keep looking for it.
Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/18060623
If anyone manages to find a version of the audio older than 5.10.0.4691, A01 in existence say so!

This source claims to support Windows ME and 98SE, but I'm doubting it
http://download.cnet.com/Audio-SIGMATEL-STAC-92XX-C-Major-HD-Audio-Driver-Version-A01/3000-2110_4-107733.html
I used this driver for the D600, but I'm not sure if it would work on a D620...(Use only as a last resort, as it likely doesn't work)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/5500/Audio-Sigmatel-AC97-Driver

Since we're talking about the D620 and not the D630, you should change the title of the topic.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~
Added some stuff

On 11/18/2016 at 3:05 PM, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

I don't own a D620, but a D600...Since I spent so much time trying to find drivers for that model, I'm more than willing to help search
What wireless card model do you have? I'm not aware if Dell had the D620 in different configurations besides sometimes including a graphics card.

CNET...Not sure if this wireless card would work
http://download.cnet.com/Network-Dell-Wireless-1370-WLAN-MiniPCI-Card-Wireless-1390-WLAN-MiniCard-Wireless-1395-WLAN-MiniCard/3000-2112_4-177235.html
Another user (PROBLYMCH3LD) taught me that the driver of a wireless card can be modified/hacked to run on Windows 9x if its not missing any dependencies. I'm assuming if the card doesn't work, try contacting him and send him it, he maybe able to make it work.

According to the Dell website, the D620 uses the same ethernet controller (or whatever you call it) as the D600. If you have Broadcom 57XX, then here it is
http://support.advantech.com/support/DownloadSRDetail_New.aspx?SR_ID=1-13YAFU&Doc_Source=Download

Audio is "SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio" rather than 9750 for the D600...I've managed to find an old post from 2006 on the official dell website asking for one, but the link was broken...I'll keep looking for it.
Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/18060623
If anyone manages to find a version of the audio older than 5.10.0.4691, A01 in existence say so!

This source claims to support Windows ME and 98SE, but I'm doubting it
http://download.cnet.com/Audio-SIGMATEL-STAC-92XX-C-Major-HD-Audio-Driver-Version-A01/3000-2110_4-107733.html
I used this driver for the D600, but I'm not sure if it would work on a D620...(Use only as a last resort, as it likely doesn't work)
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/5500/Audio-Sigmatel-AC97-Driver

Since we're talking about the D620 and not the D630, you should change the title of the topic.

there were a few different ethernet adapters used in the dell latitude d6xx line, as well as the dell inspiron 600m which are nearly identifical, i know this for a fact because on some of the earlier builds i did with the dell inspiron 600m and i think maybe the latitude d600 with windows 95 osr 2.5 installed, they used a compatible windows 95 driver for the broadcom ethernet controller which i think was the only available driver for windows 95 for that specific broadcom adapter version, anyways, in more relevance to 98SE, the different adapters shouldn't matter because all of them have 98SE drivers so you wouldn't have to worry about that part.

i compared that 5.10.0.4691 driver you listed with the one officially listed from dell's site for the dell latitude d620 obtained from the windows 2000 section and they both mention most of the same major devices in the inf file except that the older driver doesn't list "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0" which is found in the newer dell latitude d620 driver, so it's possible that the d620 specifically uses that or it's possible it can use one of the following and not limited to the one i just mentioned.

honestly, i feel like there is more luck finding a mini pci wifi card or cardbus wifi card that can have direct wpa2 support with the software utility it uses or one that works with wsc gaurd 4.0 ( wpa-aes to connect to wpa2 networks ) than successfully finding an audio driver for the d620 for 98SE, but who knows.

Edited by cov3rt