Uptime - Doggone Hurricane Matthew

NoelC

Hurricane Matthew was basically a non-event here in south Florida, but one thing it DID do was knock the power out with a couple of really dirty power hits (branches in power lines?) that lasted a minute or so.

Unfortunately that was just enough to reset my Windows 7 machine, which performs primarily as a server, and which had run almost 2 months since the last reboot to install software.  Maybe the small UPS battery was weak or maybe it just didn't handle the dirty power transitions well enough.  Unfortunately, this cut short my bid to see how long Win 7 could run on it.  Uptime was 56 days before the reset.  So now I have outfitted it with a new APC BR1000G UPS, pictured below, that promises 3 hours backup power and better sensitivity to power hits.

182MinuteUPSRunTime.png

By contrast, my Win 8.1 workstation survived the power hits, as it already had a bigger, newer, better BR1500G UPS with fresh (and extra) batteries.  I'm still looking to see how long it will run under daily use without any problems.  39 days and AOK at the moment...

Uptime39Days.png

Moral of the story:  You get what you pay for with UPS devices.

-Noel