Trouble with Stobject.dll - & maybe - Newdev.dll

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

Stobject.dll is an Explorer.exe process.  It's the USB device "Unloader" with the Safely Remove Hardware icon. Disabling
this DLL is a very popular hack in favor of third party apps like HotSwap!, USB Safely Remove, or USB Disk Ejector.
The reason is obvious.  They all display the complete volume label name, so you can't eject the wrong flash drive if
several are plugged in.

I've tried all four command actions listed below.  The results are not good.  My USB devices are listed as empty
Removable Disks:

One:

Unregister the DLL with this "Run" command:

regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\stobject.dll" /u

Easy to undo.  Run the same command without "u/."

Two:

Use a command supported app like Icon Remover:

IconRemover.exe /hideapp /removeicon /closeapp

Three:

Create or download a batch file.  You can try the link below from the Raymond.cc blog.  This batch file didn't work
for me.  In fact, it added an icon for Sounds and Audio Devices.  Very strange!

https://raymondcc.r.worldssl.net/hide-safely-remove-hardware.bat

Four:

My preferred method is a Startup folder script.  It's the best way because you can control the startup order and add
a logical delay between each app or process.

The USB device "Loader" is launched with the ubiquitous Rundll:

rundll32.exe newdev.dll,ClientSideInstall \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_0.{Registry Key}

Something is also screwed up with Newdev.dll.  If a flash drive loads smoothly, the USB device icon symbol does
not appear in the Notification Area (System Tray).  When this icon is visible and lingers for several seconds I know
the system is having trouble loading the device.

I created scripts to temporarily disable or workaround these two DLLs that load and unload USB devices.  What I
really need is a complete drop-in replacement for the entire process!  I know, it doesn't exist.  I do need help
resolving these problems.

Edited by HoppaLong

15 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

XP Pro_SP3

I created scripts to temporarily disable or workaround these two DLLs that load and unload USB devices.  What I
really need is a complete drop-in replacement for the entire process!  I know, it doesn't exist.  I do need help
resolving these problems.

Well, with all due respect :), it seems to me like you are creating yourself a problem, I mean how much does it cost to pay a little attention when you eject a USB device? :dubbio:

And in any case what is the problem with HotSwap!? (without disabling anything else/without fiddling with DLL's, etc.) :unsure:

The "batch file" is actually a two liner, the first adds/modify a registry key:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\SysTray" /v "Services" /t reg_dword /d 29 /f

and the second (re-)starts Systray.exe

Check your registry for what is now in that key, "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\SysTray\Services", it should be 0x0000001d (29).

BUT it is re-set by system and need a precise timing, see point #3 here:
http://www.v-front.de/2014/02/various-ways-to-address-safely-remove.html

maybe it is the timing your issue? :unsure:

The value is most probably interpreted as a binary number where fourth digit represents the "Safely remove" thingy, compare with:
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip4.htm

(look on the page for "DITCH THAT SOUND ICON")

jaclaz

Like millions of other people, I want to forever eliminate the Safely Remove Hardware icon.  When I disable Stobject.dll
the results are empty flash drives labeled as a "Removable Disk."  Why is this happening?  Am I the only XP user that
has this problem after disabling Stobject.dll?  Maybe I am, because I can't find anything while googling.

After a system startup or reboot the first flash drive plugged into a hub loads smoothly.  The second or third stick
hangs.  You see that USB icon symbol waiting and waiting until the drive finally loads.  It's like a car without gas
trying to drive uphill!  Again, why is this happening?

I'll try to answer my own questions.  Perform a fresh install or slipstream the "Unofficial Windows XP SP4" and then
perform a fresh install.  A drastic solution maybe, but I can't think of anything else.

By the way, you've probably noticed that Google searches about computing almost always list MSFN on the first or
second page.  I've joined and abandoned more forums than I can remember.  You guys are the best.  That's not a
compliment, it's just a fact.

Edited by HoppaLong