Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.4.6

bigmuscle

Hi there, I am new here and I am interested to test this on a windows 8.1 system. But I have some questions after reading the guide. Appreciate if someone could help me.

1) From the guide I understand that debug symbols are not needed anymore since the addresses are now hard-coded. But when I installed, the debug log still mentions missing debug symbols. Are these needed or not?

2) What is exactly the registration/donation procedure. When I make a donation (any donation ?) would I then receive the donation.key file or the information to request one? Will the 'copy to clipboard' of the machine code then disappear? Will the desktop message announcing the use of aeroglass then be removed?

I would like to test on a temporary vm. But if the donation key file is machine dependent it would be lost when the temporary vm disappears. Is there temporary license available just to test (even for a short time)?

Many thanks for helping me out and also many thanks to all who wrote/contributed to AeroGlass!

1. They are needed, but i can't be sure about 8.1 (i'm on 10).
2. You make a donation (any sum you want), then you'll get access to your profile on the site, where you can generate the file. Yes, those will dissapear.
3. No, there's no temporary license (but depending on the sum you donate, you can generate more than one license).

I think the sum donated should be kept undercover. One reason pops up, if there's a minimum/license, people would donate that specific sum. I'd suggest you edit your post ;p

@alexi : just test it as shareware, i did the same. Once it works custom to your liking, donate (between shareware and full, the nagscreen + desktop watermark and downloading of symbols, functionality wise they are identical).

Edited by Klamatiel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help. The program is great and works fine. Have some issues though. I have been testing but not sure what is going on. I have win 8.1. The glow effect works on some windows but not on all. For example, the explorer window does not show the glow effect. Also the inactive color is not switched correctly on all windows. Could that be because I do not (yet) have the debug symbols ?

I'm also running Aero Glass on Win 8.1.

Ribbon-enabled windows, such as Explorer and WordPad, use an entirely different method to paint the title bar, and thus are not handled by the normal DWMGlass.dll.

Big Muscle released some additional components that work with Aero Glass and allow you to resurrect the glow, but there are some downsides.  This is from my all too frail memory, but I believe UxThemeSignatureBypass64.dll and UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll circa March 8, 2015, invoked via the AppInit_DLLs key will color the titles of ribbon-enabled windows.  Here's what I see (note that my text is set to be white and the "glow" backing in my theme atlas is actually dark):

TitleBarBacking.png

As you can see in the Beyond Compare Options dialog at the upper-right, it essentially causes any text that uses the same API calls the ribbon-enabled windows use to be painted with the "glow" backing.  It's a minor inconvenience I can live with to have the more integrated title bars.

It's been a long time since I set this up, but I see I left myself an "InstallSignatureBypass.reg" file...  This is what's in it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\AeroGlass\\UxThemeSignatureBypass64.dll"
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\AeroGlass\\UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll"
"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001
"RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000

Note also that I stayed with Aero Glass 1.4.5, not the latest, as I saw some visual glitches with 1.4.6.

The above is 100% stable for me.  I get long uptimes between Windows updates that mandate reboots.

Uptime47Days.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC
Grammar