RAM issue on server board

zago27

Hi,

I've just got an old Acer Altos G320 server from a computer technician. It is based on Intel SE7320NH1-E motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 HT 631 CPU, integrated ATi ES1000 video controller, DDR2 memory.

During POST, screen wouldn't switch on, system fans spinned at max speed and I heard 3 beeps from internal speaker. I took a look at the board troubleshooting guide: 3 beeps - RAM error. I changed the 2GB DDR2-667 module with another known-working module, a 256MB DDR2-533. It still didn't properly boot up. Tried all 4 slots in single and dual channel. Still no luck.

CPU power is provided via a standard 8 pin 12V connector, but after I saw how was the board layout, I think that 4 pins power the CPU and the others power the 4 memory slots. The original Acer 8 pins power supply unit was changed with a standard 4 pins unit, the technician who gave me the server told me that the last time he used it, it was working. I put on a 8 pins PSU, on-going 3 beeps at startup.

I had a faulty motherboard that beeped when it hadn't RAM sticks plugged in and when it was plugged in, it simply didn't boot up. It worked until 5 minutes before.

May I have to heat up the board and restore some solder points? Or simply throw it away?

Problem solved. In the 4th slot, there was a bent pin that was shorting with the opposite one. Once fixed, the computer boot up successfully. Now, it is working fine. Actually, I am using 2x512MB DDR2-533 non-ECC sticks.