Has MS started already with their all-in-one updates for Win8?

osRe

There was "October 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2" KB3192404 on October 20th, and "November 2016 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2" KB3197875 on November 16th, both offered in between patch Tuesdays.
They were both very large updates, pretty much the same size as the "non-preview" updates that were offered on the October and November patch Tuesdays.
There's nothing I can see on their Microsoft information pages that says what they are supposed to be for!
:unsure:

Hm, perhaps because of my choice of when to check I didn't see those particular ones show.

Just as a guess, maybe it's an early opportunity for a limited number of people to download the update rollups early, to give Microsoft a chance to get some feedback then fix problems before they're released the update to the masses?

I can't say for sure, but no doubt someone else has noticed them.  There must be some discussion of them around - e.g., on AskWoody.com.

-Noel

Interesting idea, although I'm not too happy that I might be being used as a guinea pig by Microsoft!
I have my Windows Update set to warn me when updates are available, but not to automatically download or install them (a luxury you don't have with Windows 10 of course!) I was told they were available as optional updates.  
I installed them anyway and no (obvious) harm seems to have been done, but I don't see what the point of them is, unless they are some sort of test, as you say.
:)

Just got a broken Sony Vaio today belonging to a DJ who sez the broken PC was catastrophic at the time happened. Anyway what happened is he was doing his thing when this Win8.1 Vaio froze up totally, so he was forced to do a hard reset after which the laptop went into installing updates mode for 30 mins then went into a Sony auto repair loop and would not come back. This was very funny for his audience - for him not so much. So I played with it for a bit - I couldn't find any default restore points or any sign of an OS at all for that matter. No repair options worked, even the recovery partitions were inaccessible so in the end I changed the HDD and am currently installing a clean, non Sony version of Win8 for him - I assume he has his music stuff backed up he sez its fine its in the cloud - hmmmm.........

I have accessed the drive offline and it looks fine files and folders wise but I can't open anything on it just gives me errors (drive blocked) can't access the basic disk functions via cmd either so somehow this drive has got itself totally corrupted in a big way.

Is there by chance some really bad update could have caused such a mess and is it down to the new MSFT update policy, I have seen some dodgy updates but normally I can roll them back somehow - this is a new one on me. I guess its possible the HDD just fried and it has nothing to do with updates but I never did believe in coincidences?