5.25" Floppy Drive not being detected in 775i65g motherboard.

Kippykip

4 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Yep, it is possible that it is the cable, but that motor is linked to the heads slide assembly (through a worm screw) so if the motor runs, the head slide should also move.

If the motor runs and the head slide remain in the same position, it may mean:

1) the head slide is stuck and the motor can't move it (and there is some mechanism, think of a slip clutch, that makes the motor turn anyway "idle" whenever a given excessive force is needed)
2) the head slide is at the end of its intended travel, and *something* (wrong cable, a position sensor/switch. something else, whatever) keeps the motor powered on (and there is some mechanism as above)
3) for *whatever reasons* the motor is disjointed from the worm screw (which doesn't turn)
4) ...

jaclaz 

Hmm, might be. I can't tell if the head is moving because it has a shell on it. I might record a video tomorrow and take off the shell to see what's going on.

Actually one thing I noticed about this universal cable I got, it hasn't got any bumps in the middle. I had to look at my old cable to look for these 2 tiny dents from one side.

So what if I switch the floppy drive cable the other way around in the motherboard? Hopefully I don't blow it up, I'll write back and tell you what happens

Alright I get a different error now, instead of getting "Seek Error" (same error I get if the floppy drive ribbon cable is unplugged). I get "Not ready reading drive A".

But I still don't get any lights or any noises on the drive itself

20 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

This is strange.

If you connect the 32 pin cable reversed (it has happened to everyone) what should happen is that the led light on the drive switches on (and remains on), see:
http://www.oldskool.org/guides/oldonnew/floppy

jaclaz

Yeah doing it on the 3.5" the light stays on as soon as the computer is on. However on the 5.25" drive nothing at all happens. Acts exactly the same no light, no spinning. 

I guess my drive is broken... I wonder if I can find a cheap one on ebay.

Just now, Kippykip said:

Yeah the USB floppy drive I have is an older model so it has no mini ribbon cable in there, and my internal one just a typical full sized 3.5" drive so there's no ribbon cable in there.

I did find the same usb/internal drives used in that video on ebay so I may as well just combine them both together.

It would be cool having a superdisk drive however! They're just hard to find.

Naah, there are quite a few on e-bay from time to time, maybe are a bit costly (when compared to the 15 bucks or so you need for a "plain" slim external USB floppy), out of the top of my head I would say you need some 50-60US$ to get one, but usually there are many of the MACINTOSH model.

I believe that internally they are just "normal" LS-120's :unsure:

https://it.ifixit.com/Device/Imation_Superdisk_USB_Drive

If you are into DIY, and wishing to "arrange something" for the (I presume front bezel and) eject button, look at what I just found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Compaq-388772-401-LKM-F933-1-Super-Disk-Drive-gray-door-/272014681636?hash=item3f5556a624:g:FyYAAOSw9mFWLnDC

jaclaz

Yep; I once did the second.

I had an external USB "slim" floppy drive with a bad mechanics but good interface (and quite a few salvaged "normal" internal floppy drives + an unused external USB hard disk case "full height" with a fried power supply) and casually found (while buying some other things) an (obviously el-cheapo ;)) adapter *like* this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Slim-Floppy-Adapter-34-polig-Supermicro-SFBP512-/311292337238?hash=item487a781c56:g:tXkAAOSwhkRWfYX0

(that is intended to be used "reversed") and manged to put together (half-@§§edly as always) an external USB floppy full size.

But really, buying a new "slim" external USB floppy drive would be more convenient.

jaclaz

Just now, jaclaz said:

Yep; I once did the second.

I had an external USB "slim" floppy drive with a bad mechanics but good interface (and quite a few salvaged "normal" internal floppy drives + an unused external USB hard disk case "full height" with a fried power supply) and casually found (while buying some other things) an (obviously el-cheapo ;)) adapter *like* this one:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Slim-Floppy-Adapter-34-polig-Supermicro-SFBP512-/311292337238?hash=item487a781c56:g:tXkAAOSwhkRWfYX0

(that is intended to be used "reversed") and manged to put together (half-@§§edly as always) an external USB floppy full size.

But really, buying a new "slim" external USB floppy drive would be more convenient.

jaclaz

Yeah the USB floppy drive I have is an older model so it has no mini ribbon cable in there, and my internal one just a typical full sized 3.5" drive so there's no ribbon cable in there.

I did find the same usb/internal drives used in that video on ebay so I may as well just combine them both together. 

It would be cool having a superdisk drive however! They're just hard to find.

Edited by Kippykip