Windows 98 Problems

Alanoll

I'm interested in hearing all of your problems with installing Windows 98? not 95, as I haven't gotten to that yet :)

I've been running a few tests with a different way to get the CDROM letter and so far they are running flawless.

I'm curious as to your problems so I can try and emulate it and see if the new way works....try and be specific. Not like, mine doesn't work. it Just freezes. When does it freeze, how have you edited the floppy image, so on and so forth.

i should probally point out, any errors regarding can not access harddrive after Windows is "installed" don't count. You're most likely trying to install Windows ona multiprocess/hyperthreading system. Windows has problems with that.

some people have reported problems on installing Windows 98 and finding the right drive. Others say Windows setup stalls, and a few other things.

So i've been working on another way to get it to work.

@Alanoll My problem is that once I get to the point of formatting the hard drive it keeps asking for me to insert the Windows 98 CD. I'm using 98se OEM on a Multi-boot DVD built using flyakite's guide, including the disk images on his site.

I haven't burned it to DVD yet since I don't want to do that til I have it working right before I do that. Even if I fdisk from a DOS prompt in Virtual PC, 98se won't format the drive in DOS mode. It errors out with " Please insert Windows 98 CD-ROM or floppy and press Enter."

you still haven't told me, when does it say this?

be SPECIFIC!

WHEN DOES IT HAPPEN!

fdisk only creates the partition, you still have to format it before you can use it.

have you tried copying hte install files to the virtual hdd before starting?

For my Windows98SE AIO CD I used a boot floppy image to boot the cdrom. In the floppy image I have scripts that check the volume label of the drive, if it doesn't see READY98 as the volume label it prompts you to format the disk.

I use GDISK (freeware) to partition and format the disk and set the volume label all in one big swoop. Then reboot.

The next boot it checks the label again and see's everything is groovy. It copies all the setup files to the hard disk and runs setup from there. I use a script to create an unattend.txt file.

I've used this process since (believe it or not) Windows95 - yes I even have a Windows95 AutoBuild CD. I wish this web site was around back then!

It partitions, then reboots (tells you first :) ), then in your boot menu or if it's just a normal disk, you let it boot back into the floppy (image or real) and start OEMSetup.exe again, and it will then format it (on its own) and then runs setup.

@Alanoll, that's exactly what mine is not doing... It boot from the DVD image in Virtual PC, goes through the start up, tells me it needs to format the disk, at which point I get the error I posted. :) I thought I was being specific enough...