Windows NT 4 Terminal Edition Updates

verta

For "Normal" NT 4.0 (not Terminal Server) with SP6a there is a "rollup package" (SRP):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299444

The page has also a couple of fixes for posssible issues when you apply the SRP :w00t:.

For Terminal server (which has a SP6, NOT SP6a) a different "rollup pakage (SRP1) exists:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/317636

jaclaz

I am going to try and download the following updates, but I think there a heck of a lot more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixes that are not included in Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition SRP

The Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition SRP does not supersede the patches that are included in the following post-SP6 security bulletins:

300845 MS02-013: Java Applet Can Redirect Browser Traffic

311967 MS02-017: Unchecked Buffer in the Multiple UNC Provider

313829 Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Lead to Code Running

314147 MS02-006: An Unchecked Buffer in the SNMP Service May Allow Code to Run

318202 MS02-008: XMLHTTP Control in MSXML 2.0 Can Allow Access to Local Files

The Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition SRP does not include the patch delivered in the following post-SP6 security bulletin, because it should only be applied if WebDAV has been installed on the server.

296441 MS01-022: WebDAV Service Provider Can Allow Scripts to Levy Requests as a User

The Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition SRP does not include the tools that are provided as part of the following bulletins. These tools should be downloaded and run separately.

265714 MS00-095: Windows NT 4.0 SNMP Registry Entries Are Readable

267861 MS00-095: RAS Registry Modification Allowed Without Administrative Rights

267864 MS00-095: MTS Package Administration Key Includes Information About Users

The Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition SRP does not supersede the following bulletin, because the fix in this case requires an administrative procedure rather than a software change.

241219 MS99-036: Unattended Installation File Is Not Deleted After Setup Finishes

Well, everyone has his/her own approach at the matter, you seem like having a "collector" or "archivist" approach (which may be good) but be warned that a number of these patches are essentially not needed, often useless and possibly even undermining the stability of the operating system.

As an example:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/296441

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that this article describes. Apply it only to systems that you determine are at risk of attack. Evaluate the computer's physical accessibility, network and Internet connectivity, and other factors to determine the degree of risk to the computer. See the associated Microsoft Security Bulletin to help determine the degree of risk. This hotfix may receive additional testing. If the computer is sufficiently at risk, we recommend that you apply this hotfix now.

is a largely UNtested "quick" fix that covers a risk that you won't have if you are not using WebDAV and - even if you will be using WebDAV - it "covers" a possibility of attack so trifling and improbable to succeed that it makes no sense to apply it if not on selected, very specific cases/implementations (that may have existed some 15 years ago but do not exist anymore).

Another one, 311967 or ms01-017, check:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms02-017

jaclaz

I'm a little bit of both "collector, archivist" , but also an old system administrator.

I've always worried about downloading microsoft update patches, thats why I always liked windows update.

Windows update currently gets stuck in Windows NT4 Terminal Edition, It accepts the cert and just sits there.

I could'nt find a windowsupdateagent for nt 4. once I get ms-sql 6.5 installed, I'll give it a go.

Edited by verta

IMHO you are going on a wild goose chase, the whole "model" of the Windows Update that you like (BTW you are the first System Administrator - old or new - that I ever met actually "liking" it :w00t::ph34r:) is based on the idea of a client (the thingy on your machine) and of a server (run by MS).

Unlike manual, self-standing updates (that as we have seen with some difficulties can still be found) the Windows Update model is failed by design, as besides what you have (or may have) locally that you could somehow make working, the "other side" is the problem.

AFAIK/AFAICR the good MS guys discontinued the server/service many years ago, and anyway there never was a real "Windows Update Agent" for NT 4.00:

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35444

jaclaz

sad to hear, really could have been of some use.

nt4 terminal edition, ie4, ie 4.01sp2, option pack, sp6, ie6sp1, ms sql 6.5, sp6, roll out updates, SNA 4.0

vmware doesn't like token ring :/

I'm looking for SNA Server/Client 4.0 service pack 4.

• 4 weeks later...