Windows 98SE and ME's behavior or my laptop?

FantasyAcquiesce

I experimented with my Dell Latitude D600 with running Windows 98SE and ME, both have encountered a bunch of issues I haven't seen on Windows 2000 or later versions of Windows. According to a scan (I plan to check it later) my hard drive could have a bad sector.

Windows ME

• A lot of applications tend to act weird (Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 8 crashed upon downloading via disc, I Spy Fantasy installs yet the actual in game clicking to find objects doesn't work despite working the rest of the time)
  • Tends to "lag" a lot (Even XP didn't lag nearly as much)

Windows 98SE

• USB mouse won't work even after installing the universal usb driver, mysteriously it magically works if I plug in my usb hub made for 98 then my mouse
  • Flash drives don't work after installing the usb driver
  • Way fussier than ME when it comes to installing drivers in general
  • 7-Zip gives me errors if I highlight then drag, yet works if I press the extract button then have it go to another
  • When I install new drivers it tells me it needs to find it in a location after boot, using the unofficial service pack for all official updates usually fixes these issues
  • Most DOS games don't even seem to work? Since my laptop lacks a mouse ps/2 port, the game Oregon Trail Deluxe refuses to work because I lack a mouse (Haven't tried DOS much though)
  • Won't shut off unless I press the off button

Both

• Tends to be unstable in general

Should I keep Windows 98SE (or ME) on my laptop or are there any solutions to these issues? Should I ditch 9x for 2000, later NT versions?

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~