Downgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1

bookie32

Hi guys!

Been a strange day...

I had a customer come with an Asus UX32LN and Windows 10 which was experiencing all sorts of problems...

When I checked with Asus..there was no drivers from Windows 10 and several others had had similar problems and reset their computers to Windows 8.1 to fix them...

This particular model has F9 to envoke recovery...

I backed up my customer's files and restarted the computer....F9 I was surprised to see no choice for resetting to factory settings...being as I have done  this many times without problems since Windows 10 was released...rang Asus support to see what I could do to force the recovery partition to give me the "reset to factory settings" option. The first guy I spoke to said no chance Windows 10 writes over the recovery partition and after 30 days you will need your recovery media... I tried to point out this isn't actually the case and tried to explain to him why...he was not receptive at all...and when I raised my voice because he wasn't listening ...he said he was terminating the call and put the phone down on me... I was fuming!!

I rang them back and got someone else who I tried to explain that it isn't polite to hang up on customers trying to explain things to them...Anyway I tried to get help from this guy and he said the other one was comletely right and I would have to buy recovery media....and when I pointed out he was also wrong the call didn't last very long...

Well, I did a little search for Asus Recovery and came up with this page there you can download the recovery app for your particular OS. I downloaded the app and installed it on my customer's computer...I then ran the program and it makes sure that the computer restarts and F9 is active...

After restart I was prompted for my choice of language and after that I came to a menu where I could choose to reset the computer back to factory settings.....

Of course I rang Asus again and got them to note this basically as a little help for others having similar problems and to try and improve the standard of help one gets...

Of course my customer is well pleased...

what upset me more than anything was being told I was mistaken and couldn't have reset computers back to Windows 7 , 8/8.1 after having Windows 10 for more than 30 days becuse all files are overwritten...how little they know...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bookie32

On Πέμπτη, 18 Αυγούστου 2016 at 8:53 PM, bookie32 said:

The first guy I spoke to said no chance Windows 10 writes over the recovery partition and after 30 days you will need your recovery media...

In fact this was said to be the case with Windows 10 even by Microsoft itself as far as I remember, maybe something has changed from a point of time?

Windows 10 does not remove the pre-existing partitions when an upgrade is done, it just removes the BCD entries to be able to boot it. The 30 days thing, is only relating to the uninstall option that appears in the Recovery page on Windows 10. A user who had upgraded to Windows 10 at the last minute, then got the anniversary update, would have seen that option disappear anyways.

There was a case with Windows 8.1 update from 8.0, on MBR disk, it would over-write the recovery "boot" partition, but it would leave the recovery image partition alone. In EFI scenario, the update would make a second recovery partition instead, leaving both original recovery partitions alone.

>Downgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1

I think the word you were looking for was "Upgrading".

Reality demands that something actually be "better" before considered an "up"grade.  And yes, Win 8.1 is decidedly better than 10, assuming we're talking about efficacy in being an actual OPERATING SYSTEM, not an ad and store delivery tool.

-Noel

On 2016-08-23 at 2:02 AM, Tripredacus said:

Windows 10 does not remove the pre-existing partitions when an upgrade is done, it just removes the BCD entries to be able to boot it. The 30 days thing, is only relating to the uninstall option that appears in the Recovery page on Windows 10. A user who had upgraded to Windows 10 at the last minute, then got the anniversary update, would have seen that option disappear anyways.

There was a case with Windows 8.1 update from 8.0, on MBR disk, it would over-write the recovery "boot" partition, but it would leave the recovery image partition alone. In EFI scenario, the update would make a second recovery partition instead, leaving both original recovery partitions alone.

Yes, regarding Windows 8.1 it has happened where I have had to fix the "boot" partition...Of course some models do come without a recovery partition and then if you haven't your media it could be a problem...not sure what happens when Windows 10 has been installed...if Windows 8/8.1 key disappears from the BIOS which would mean you need to have made a backup copy of your drive or buy the media...

Just never ceases to amaze me how they can call themselves support when they really don't know what they are talking about...

• 2 months later...