Experimental builds

Now I removed the ColorizationColorCaption, but can't reproduce crash from before, text is still corrupted and theme atlas setting works. It's indeed a combination of custom theme atlas along with text glow. If you're unlucky, you get a crash instead of just corrupted text in ribbon windows.

And another related bug, having custom theme loaded doesn't try to apply any glow to ribbon windows.

5 hours ago, UCyborg said:

@daveo76

I've managed to reproduce your crash with Explorer, I think it happens when you have CustomThemeAtlas set under DWM settings key in registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM). This setting doesn't seem to be effective with UxThemeSignatureBypass64.dll loaded, just crashes Explorer. But when it's not set, loading custom themes work and Explorer doesn't crash. CustomThemeAtlas setting is meant to be used when you don't want to replace whole theme. So the way it is now, if you want whole custom themes, that setting must be deleted or if you want just custom theme atlases, the DLLs shouldn't be injected. Either way, a slight inconvenience since you can't make a switch without a reboot.

@NoelC

Saw screenshot of that bug before, I'll see if I can try to reproduce it as I haven't seen it on my machine.

Bingo! Thanks for posting this UCyborg, I was having this issue but on Windows startup I would just get a black screen with the occasional flashing. Could not get it to work and was forced use uxstyle instead after doing a system restore. 

After I saw this post I uninstalled uxstyle, used the reg file that you posted rebooted and all was good. Thanks again.

One thing I am noticing though and have done off and on with #669 and only with IE is this as reported in the 1.4.6 thread is the black rectangle vertical and horizontal line like in the screenshot in this post.

Anyone else getting this with #669?

Edited by groomp
Added version number

I think there used to be a warning message back on the Win8 version that said NOT to use the theme atlas if you were going to use custom themes lol. That's the only reason I never combined the two.

I just stick with glass only. I cant find a theme that I like to use. The Win7 themes have the border but you can see inconsistencies in the glass and I cant find a nice Win8-style theme. So, default it is.

30 minutes ago, raiden89 said:

I think there used to be a warning message back on the Win8 version that said NOT to use the theme atlas if you were going to use custom themes lol. That's the only reason I never combined the two.

I just stick with glass only. I cant find a theme that I like to use. The Win7 themes have the border but you can see inconsistencies in the glass and I cant find a nice Win8-style theme. So, default it is.

I must have missed that over the years, oh well at least I know now. I don't normally use themes either until I tried the one linked to the post on the previous page. Looks pretty good.

Note though the black line bug I'm talking about occurs even when theme isn't loaded.

@UCyborgI followed your instructions and even deleted CustomThemeAtlas set under DWM settings key in registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM). But I still get the same problem when using UxThemeSignatureBypass. I've attached screenshots as proof. Also when using "ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll" it causes error message as seen on cmd screenshot.

UxThemeSignatureBypass64_zpsbjygrxhl.jpg
UxThemeSignatureBypass32_zpscgqsvdrp.jpg
ModernFrame-x64-Debug_zpssfndruhk.jpg

Daveo did you rename your "ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll" to "ModernFrame.dll" by any chance? Maybe the filename is the issue. I renamed mine to just "Modernframe.dll" so I had to change UCyborgs entry for that one. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, groomp said:

Daveo did you rename your "ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll" to "ModernFrame.dll" by any chance? Maybe the filename is the issue. I renamed mine to just "Modernframe.dll" so I had to change UCyborgs entry for that one. Just a thought.

Tried that to. No difference. I'm not fussed as I rarely use Windows Apps.

Edited by daveo76

3 minutes ago, daveo76 said:

Tried that to. No difference. I'm not fussed as there no themes I liked that works for Windows 10 RS1. I'll stick with NoelC Theme Atlas

Have you tried modernframe by itself i.e. no signature bypass dl as welll? Modernframe enables the glass effect on modern apps, it's not really a theme thing.

5 hours ago, groomp said:

Have you tried modernframe by itself i.e. no signature bypass dl as welll? Modernframe enables the glass effect on modern apps, it's not really a theme thing.

Yes ModernFrame-x64-Debug.dll works without UxThemeSignatureBypass. I feel BigMuscle has got ModernFrame working excellent own it own for Windows 10 RS1 but I guess he still got bugs to work out before he releases it as stable.

Edited by daveo76
Corrected typing mistake

@daveo76

Your settings seem correct. Can you also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM for CustomThemeAtlas, just in case it got there? Then log off and back on. If you still get Failed to load custom theme atlas file error, then I really don't know what else to suggest. I get this error if I specify custom theme atlas file that doesn't exists, it shouldn't appear unless Aero Glass is told to load it.

@bigmuscle

DWM along with Aero Glass Build #692 is running stable for 3 hours now on my 32-bit installation, no issues so far. Maybe it was a temporary glitch back then, plus there was a windows update today. Also, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I usually minimize then hide the debug window with Process Hacker, at the time those crashes occurred, I just had it minimized. Will let you know If I encounter any more issues.

Edited by UCyborg

Welp, 32-bit now crashed on resume from sleep (black screen, empty minidump), had to reset the system. Worst thing about it, it can take varying amount of time before it happens and it's impossible to give steps on how to reproduce.

Really curious what's the deal with getting 32-bit to work right. Last time I checked, 64-bit portability problems were a thing, not the other way around.

I thought about that myself. Could it be related to graphics drivers? I have AMD Radeon R2, latest drivers. It's strange, because without Aero Glass, it runs fine.

Edit: There weren't any problems with previous Windows build, and that laptop is setup almost like my desktop PC with 64-bit Windows, except there is different hardware and I run less software on it than on the desktop.

It's good to know that the problem isn't in Aero Glass. Guess I'll have to live without it on that laptop unless I figure something out someday.

Edited by UCyborg