Experimental builds

Strange, AccentColorInactive is completely ignored here. It works if I disable aero glass though...

--edit--

Nah, it does work but it's not automatically updated, I have to play with the color intensity slider in color and appearance menu after modifying AccentColorInactive

Edited by Tusticles

Please describe "here".  On what Windows version are you testing?  What version of Aero Glass?

Your sig says "OS: Windows 8 x64".  That's not pertinent to this thread.  This one is about new development for Windows 10 build 14393 (Big Muscle, you might want to include that info in the thread subject).  Please see this other thread for info about the latest Win 8 and Win 10 build 10586 and older development:

-Noel

9 minutes ago, NoelC said:

Please describe "here".  On what Windows version are you testing?  What version of Aero Glass?

Your sig says "OS: Windows 8 x64".  That's not pertinent to this thread.  This one is about new development for Windows 10 build 14393 (Big Muscle, you might want to include that info in the thread subject).  Please see this other thread for info about the latest Win 8 and Win 10 build 10586 and older development:

-Noel

why would I use the experimental version on win8.1?

Edited by Tusticles

28 minutes ago, Tusticles said:

why would I use the experimental version on win8.1?

Lack of information implies lack of care.  It's up to you, not the people who read your posts, to show otherwise.

-Noel

12 hours ago, fricku said:

I would like to suggest (humbly, if that's possible) that it is good and proper to 're-answer' previously answered questions or to directly quote a previous answer from within one's reply.  Every question deserves a good answer right then and there, even if it's been asked a few times before.  In this case, with so many ever changing versions of Windows, Aeroglass, installers, themes, etc., the same question asked now may require a different answer than previously.  Also, 'clever' one sentence replies probably deserve a couple more sentences to clarify one or two points within the first.

IMO a big part of the problem is that the information necessary to accomplish the desired goal (to install and tweak Aero Glass) is broken up and spread out over a variety of threads and websites. Each one gives you bits and pieces, none seems to put it all together.

@bigmuscle's admonition that Aero Glass is for advanced users is well taken. That said, I am reminded of the early days of radio, when the only way to tune in to a different frequency was to fiddle with a multitude of knobs controlling highly arcane aspects of radio reception inside your homemade crystal set.

800px-Crystal_radio_receiver_from_wireless_era.png

[source]

It was not until some enterprising soul devised a practical, easy-to-use tuning method that radio took off, and a new industry was born.

--JorgeA

Apparently my time came and Windows automatically installed the Anniversary update last night.  Ugh.   I was hoping for a heads up so I wouldn't trigger the Aeroglass issues.   Took me a bit to get into safe mode, renamed symsrv.dll, rebooted... dumped the beta over top (which apparently I wasn't supposed to do, but it worked).

At first I was having issues, as I like my application borders completely transparent.   Then I read the first post and the comments about the registry edits.   Put in my colours as 00FFFFF and all was good :) 

It's working great now.   Thanks bigmuscle, I appreciate you keeping transparency alive in Windows 10!

Tip o the hat to you, Zod, for not needing to ask 20 questions to get it done.

For what it's worth, a change of version can actually all be accomplished, if care is taken, without rebooting at all.

You need only stop the Aerohost executable (via the scheduler), then kill DWM.exe, which will restart the desktop without Aero Glass.  Then you can overwrite the files, and finally restart Aerohost. 

-Noel

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:24 PM, NoelC said:

How DARE you assume a user knows what a "registry" is and how the above snippet has anything to do with it.  You need to provide a complete tutorial on registry editing, not to mention a note on what hex vs. decimal is - and what the heck is this Alpha thing you mention?  A dog from a Pixar flick?  How do you "apply"?  What does "argb" mean? 

In all seriousness, people asking for help need to put in at least some basic effort.  If not willing to do that, don't post in this thread at all.  Make a new thread, just for you!  Think I'm being abrasive?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip o the hat to you, Zod, for not needing to ask 20 questions to get it done.

-Noel

If you're still stuck on yesterday, why don't you get a life? If you take a serious look back at the record I actually got it done right after your initial instructions (I also made considerable effort on my own before asking for help).  I just had a separate issue with the transparency where you implied I was in the wrong registry area (even though I now see you were probably just advising me some entries were missing), leading to more confusion.  Once I realized that your vague statement had thrown me off and that I was in fact in the correct area I was done.  So why don't you look at the record and include your own participation as well before you get so judgmental.  By the way, I don't need a tutorial on registry editing, either.  I thought you were a decent person from your posts up until now, but I'm really beginning to wonder.  The world won't be coming to an end if someone has an extra question or two. 

aeroglass.xml

Edited by genecooper

On 23. 9. 2016 at 8:30 PM, bigmuscle said:

Experimental build #675 for 32-bit Win10 10.0.14393 has been uploaded.

Doesn't work, clicking Ignore would produce black screen 99% times, requiring hard reset. And even in 1% of time when it seems to work, computer would hang with another black screen when shutting it down, probably nothing strange given the nature of the error.

Edit: If I remove UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll from AppInit_DLLs, I can click Ignore and it doesn't hang/crash anymore. I found this in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899025
Faulting module name: UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll, version: 1.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x54fc8726
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00005ece
Faulting process id: 0x3f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2171319b1d076
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\AeroGlass\UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll
Report Id: 87cf6c68-0a6b-48b5-9551-16d906d0e434
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edit2: After few minutes of use, I'm staring at the black screen again.

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57899025
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x57898e09
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002609a
Faulting process id: 0x3f0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d21716d93e059f
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: 30b4cf17-5cf3-4aa5-b718-44c217a0fd3d

This is the most recent crash, it occurred when I used Aero Peek. I also have another crash log when I had UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll loaded:

Faulting module name: DWMGlass.dll, version: 1.5.0.675, time stamp: 0x57e55c92
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x000e7c7c
Faulting process id: 0x1244
Faulting application start time: 0x01d216dea8826712
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll
Report Id: 9237a6d8-e4f6-47d6-b478-a39103f442c8
Faulting package-relative application ID:

AeroGlassRTError.png

Edited by UCyborg

13 hours ago, genecooper said:

If you're still stuck on yesterday, why don't you get a life? If you take a serious look back at the record I actually got it done right after your initial instructions (I also made considerable effort on my own before asking for help).  I just had a separate issue with the transparency where you implied I was in the wrong registry area (even though I now see you were probably just advising me some entries were missing), leading to more confusion.  Once I realized that your vague statement had thrown me off and that I was in fact in the correct area I was done.  So why don't you look at the record and include your own participation as well before you get so judgmental.  By the way, I don't need a tutorial on registry editing, either.  I thought you were a decent person from your posts up until now, but I'm really beginning to wonder.  The world won't be coming to an end if someone has an extra question or two. 

Gene, I'm sorry you feel that way.  Everyone has their limits, and you have no idea what's going on in my life right now (nor I yours).  I will take your input at face value and try harder to be a "decent person".

Rather than lash out at me, I have a suggestion:  Create a "Soup To Nuts How To" instruction set in a separate thread that will clearly spell out every step of the process of getting Aero Glass to work, in layman's terms, that anyone can follow.  Ask for comments/input from others, figure out what they mean, and adjust your instructions accordingly.  If you'd rather, I won't say a thing in that thread.  Turn this into something positive.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

18 hours ago, NoelC said:

Gene, I'm sorry you feel that way.  Everyone has their limits, and you have no idea what's going on in my life right now (nor I yours).  I will take your input at face value and try harder to be a "decent person".

Rather than lash out at me, I have a suggestion:  Create a "Soup To Nuts How To" instruction set in a separate thread that will clearly spell out every step of the process of getting Aero Glass to work, in layman's terms, that anyone can follow.  Ask for comments/input from others, figure out what they mean, and adjust your instructions accordingly.  If you'd rather, I won't say a thing in that thread.  Turn this into something positive.

-Noel

Thanks!  You have thoroughly redeemed yourself in my eyes.  I'll see about creating such a thread if I get some requests for it.  Your input will be more than welcome.

Edited by genecooper

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Build #692 32-bit works great! UxThemeSignatureBypass32.dll also works as it should.

Actually, sometimes it still crashes in d3d11.dll, but I'm unable to determine the condition that is causing it.

I've created a guide for setting up AeroGlass in the Anniversary Update without the benefit of an installer.  Eventually an installer will be available but for now this will help those who don't know the process.  This is applicable only to 64-bit:

Edited by genecooper