Experimental builds

1 hour ago, JorgeA said:

I am especially curious about that "Microsoft.Windows.Explorer" window, it doesn't look like any Windows Explorer window I've ever seen. And, in any case, I thought Microsoft had renamed Windows Explorer to File Explorer?

It's normal, Jorge.  As mentioned above, one window is the debug for DWMGlass and the other is for ModernFrame.  Those will be removed when Big Muscle releases the software.  But there are still a few bugs, so I'm imagining we'll see at least one more prototype version.

Interestingly, if I do nothing after startup/logon, in about 5 minutes the ModernFrame debug window opens all by itself with the title C:\WINDOWS\system32\ApplicationFrameHost.exe, implying Windows starts up the App environment even though no one asks for it (or wants it).  Probably there's something in the system that, if its network probing parts aren't cut off, would try to download ads.

There's way too much...

WeHaveControl.png

-Noel

Thank you @Klamatiel and @NoelC for the info, things are much clearer now.

1 hour ago, Klamatiel said:

Do a virtual desktop, then move them there.

Great idea, that's the first real use I will have for the virtual desktop feature! :thumbup

--JorgeA

@JorgeA I've noticed that you can turn off the debug windows by closing the consolehost process in the task manager, not sure if it'll work though since I've really only tested this on the one pc I've "upgraded" to the anniversary build.

3 hours ago, NoelC said:

Interestingly, if I do nothing after startup/logon, in about 5 minutes the ModernFrame debug window opens all by itself with the title C:\WINDOWS\system32\ApplicationFrameHost.exe, implying Windows starts up the App environment even though no one asks for it (or wants it).  Probably there's something in the system that, if its network probing parts aren't cut off, would try to download ads.

@NoelC that's interesting actually, have you been able to locate what exactly starts up the app environment after logging in? I've tried to get this to occur since reading about it but to be honest I've been unable to replicate this issue. Perhaps in this case no news is good news? :ph34r:

No.  But I have a possible idea...  A coincidence I've seen is that when I first turned off SmartScreen, the stock firewall, and several other unwanted security features, as I recall some time after bootup I saw a number of "security" issues appear in the Notification panel.  I don't see those any more because I chose "turn off messages about..." in the Security and Maintenance panel, but maybe whatever process runs that would normally report them may be getting as far as starting up the App environment before determining I've asked it not to complain.

The other thing I've noticed is that the SystemSettings App opens and just becomes Suspended at about that time.

I imagine my Win 10 setup runs differently than most as it's optimized to be local account-only, with all Apps removed (including Cortana, OneDrive, and every pre-installed App BUT SystemSettings), all privacy selections jammed to max, and with UAC disabled.  I'm sure that's not a config/combo that Microsoft supports.

-Noel

I noticed that logging in via Remote Desktop is another way to spawn ModernFrame's debug window that belongs to Explorer. Another window belonging to ApplicationFrameHost.exe is usually spawned when actually launching Modern apps. Or it spawns by itself eventually as already pointed out few posts above.

The appearance of debug window belonging to ApplicationFrameHost.exe seems to be expected behavior since that process supposedly hosts those frames. But what's Explorer's role in this? It is considered a Modern app by Process Hacker. Maybe some sort of bridge so everything is integrated together, Explorer being part of the shell on Windows?

3 hours ago, Mostly Harmless said:

is it normal that dwm.exe uses 14-15% cpu? I guess not. Never noticed before.

I'm seeing pretty much 0% CPU for dwm.exe so I'd say no, not normal.  It is using about 120MB RAM which seems high to me, but no processor.

3 hours ago, Mostly Harmless said:

is it normal that dwm.exe uses 14-15% cpu? I guess not. Never noticed before.

Same as Joppy, I see 0% cpu usage for dwm.exe and it uses about 33-37 MB of RAM for myself. Oddly enough explorer.exe uses up more of my RAM at 72-80 MB (and around 3% cpu) despite not utilizing it.

Stop uTorrent and see what the DWM activity goes to.

Screen updates are what the Desktop Window Manager manages.  Do the uTorrent updates look different when Aero Glass for Win 8+ isn't enabled?

-Noel

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Stop uTorrent and see what the DWM activity goes to.

Screen updates are what the Desktop Window Manager manages.  Do the uTorrent updates look different when Aero Glass for Win 8+ isn't enabled?

-Noel

without uTorrent, dwm.exe's cpu usage went down to 2%.

I also have some flickering on the dwm.exe debug window: the leftmost vertical column flickers.

(is there a more simple way to disable AeroGlass? or just disable it in Task Manager and reboot?)

Without AeroGlass, uTorrent window doesn't flicker. It looks like a regular windows window. Also, I never encountered problems with it (neither with AeroGlass) until the arrival of the Anniversary Edition.

Could you test this:

On 22. 8. 2016 at 8:38 AM, bigmuscle said:

Could you test what happens with registry settings GlassSafetyZoneMode (DWORD in DWM key) set to 0x1 ?

When set to 0x1, the dirty region optimization will be completely disabled. It will bring glitches on Start menu (and other areas which are blurred natively in Win10) but it should stay completely fine else where.

Current user: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
System-wide: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

Settings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER override system-wide settings.
About disabling Aero Glass, open Task Scheduler, find the Aero Glass task, end it then disable it, afterward, you can just close the dwm.exe console window. For non-debug builds, the process is the same, except you have to end Desktop Window Manager with Task Manager since you don't have the console window.

Edited by UCyborg