Experimental builds

8 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

I know what you mean but you could select the better form of saying. You could put it as some decision or feature request and not just saying that I am obligated to do it. Because I am not. Aero Glass v1.4.5 is explicitely said to be designed only for builds up to 10586 and the incompatibility with future Windows version is even explicitely written on the website. If user install some low-level advanced software and then he installs incompatible OS, it is only his responsibility when it stops working and not mine.

On the other side, since AG build 631, when DWM crashes several times in very short time, it will stop DLL injection completely.

This is great news, I am glad to see that you have found a way to do this, I think that now you need to push some sort of update, incomplete or not so that people will update as soon as possible and avoid any further  people who will continue to try using the older versions.

Better to have a version that is incomplete with a few bugs rather then having a version that isn't working at all and causing display drivers to crash, I know you hate to release a non beta\experimental version that isn't complete but I think in this case it would be a good idea.

Edited by MrGRiM

@bigmuscle

Many thanks for this new Build, i`m on 14393.82 and with Build 631 AeroGlass didn`t work after i restarted the System, with Build 639 everything works fine, with AeroGlassGUI i`ve set the Blur effect radius to 1, looks good for me so far. :)

On 16.8.2016 at 7:39 PM, NoelC said:

Here is a combination of colorless border graphics with the same .layout file...  I really haven't had time to test it or refine it any.  Let me know if you see something that can be improved.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/14393/RoundedCornersNoExtraColor.zip

-Noel

Looks also perfect for me, many thanks for your work NoelC.:thumbup

Edited by Starraider

2 hours ago, bigmuscle said:

Build #639, 64 bit
Changed the way how it deals with colorization settings:

Old ColorizationXXX settings values are ignored,

Thanks for the new build!

Is there any chance you might follow up with a new build of the AeroGlassGUI tool that matches these changes?  That thing is super handy for getting everything to look just right.

-Noel

Super!

I can confirm that the build 639 changes resolve the problem with starting up Aero Glass on bootup, without any delay added in the Task Scheduler trigger.

And of course the translucency and colors are now persistent across reboots.

AGBuild639.png

EnableBlurBlend may improve the color saturation a little bit, but I find the results without it (as shown above) completely acceptable.

-Noel

Glitches I've seen with the previous build seem to be gone with the current build. I've only noticed some subtle black flash of a part of a shadow casted by a window when I used Peek at desktop function, but can't reproduce it anymore. And when some window opens, its window frame doesn't get the correct appearance instantly, but after a few ms delay, when the animation finishes, this is only with EnableBlurBlend enabled.

So 32-bit builds are actually problematic when it comes to Aero Glass? From my past experience with software in general, bugs usually slip in 64-bit versions. There is quite a lot written on the subject.

I was going to suggest put the information about holding CTRL on the website, but you've said you implemented safe-guard that stops it from loading when DWM crashes, which is very welcome addition. Also, you forgot to rename Windows TH2 to Windows RS1 on the Support page.

Edit: Glitches are rare, they may still pop-up at random times, it's certainly much of an improvement over previous build. And just another remark, Microsoft still hasn't fixed the bug with Windows Explorer; when the background changes and you have auto-colorization of window frames enabled, the scrollbar jumps on top and a renaming operation is cancelled, if you're just renaming the file at the time. Didn't happen in Windows 8.1.

Edited by UCyborg

After adding the new registry values I am really liking this new build, will it be possible to somehow translate the old theme values for active and inactive Colorization Opacity?

I think it would also be great to have an option for themes to be applied with the active and inactive accent colors so we don't have to manually set AccentColorInactive, some sort of auto generate option taken from AccentColor.

Also would it be possible to enable RoundRectRadius again, I had this working on 1.4.5 and it looks like this value is no longer respected.

I would also like to add a possible feature request, with the caption buttons on Windows 10 they change their opacity on inactive windows unless you hover over one of them and then the opacity returns to 100% is it possible to change this behaviour back to the way it was in earlier Windows so the inactive caption buttons stay at 100% opacity?

Edit: after playing with the settings for RoundRectRadius it appears it does still work but I needed to set it to 30 in the registry to see the difference I was expecting.

Edited by MrGRiM

I think Big Muscle's AeroGlassGUI tool, once he updates it, will cover all your requests for settings tweaks, MrGRIM.

RoundRectRadius is working for me.  With my RoundedCorners theme atlas with my desktop metrics it's got to be 11 to be just about right, and those corners aren't huge.  The numbers do have to be pretty large - clearly they're not measured in pixels. 

I believe the inactive caption buttons are just separate resources in the theme atlas.  If you want full-time opaque buttons, you just need to make the appropriate ones opaque in your theme atlas.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

I think Big Muscle's AeroGlassGUI tool, once he updates it, will cover all your requests for settings tweaks, MrGRIM.

RoundRectRadius is working for me.  With my RoundedCorners theme atlas with my desktop metrics it's got to be 11 to be just about right, and those corners aren't huge.  The numbers do have to be pretty large - clearly they're not measured in pixels. 

I believe the inactive caption buttons are just separate resources in the theme atlas.  If you want full-time opaque buttons, you just need to make the appropriate ones opaque in your theme atlas.

-Noel

Hi Noel, the inactive caption buttons opacity is not because of the image, Windows 10 is somehow changing the image opacity, I am a theme designer so I can tell you for a fact that the opacity has been altered and has nothing to do with the image I am using.

As for the other things I mentioned, I will wait for BM to respond as I'm sure he will have an idea of what's possible and what's not and what he will be able to include in the GUI.

You're absolutely right; I just tested it myself.  Inactive windows' buttons are composited with partial transparency.  I stand corrected.

I shouldn't have imagined you'd make a basic mistake.

-Noel