Experimental builds

Actually I do see a glitch...

Aero Glass doesn't seem to want to auto start on bootup/logon.

The Task Scheduler entry is in there, but apparently starting it before logon just isn't working.  No dialog is popped-up.  If I stop the Aerohost entry and start it again after logon, the Aero Glass effects start.

When this happens, only the first 3 entries show up in the debug.log...

[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] Installing DWM hook...
[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] User: SYSTEM
[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] Module: C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll

Just as a guess I'm thinking that the DWM debug window just can't open because no one is logged on.

I tried setting up the Task Scheduler entry as "Configure for: Windows Vista" and "Windows 7" without apparent effect.

Edit:  Changing the Task Scheduler entry to run at the Logon of any user works around the problem, except that the colors are not being read correctly from the user-specific settings area.

However:  UxThemeSignatureBypass doesn't seem to dredge up the proper settings for the title text background given that I have to start Aero Glass from the scheduler at login time....  Still working that out...

Edit 2:  The old ModernFrame.dll is non-functional, at least with the Settings App, which is the only one I run.

Edit 3:  Setting the AeroHost task to start up 10 seconds delayed seems to work around the problem with the failure to start.  But the settings seem to not be loaded from the user area.  I'm getting a bright blue and nearly opaque border, but after I run the AeroGlassGUI it corrects itself.  Maybe this is the same problem MrGrim is having?  I'll try to work around this problem by making the settings in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM area].  I'm off to experiment with that.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I'm getting some minor visual glitches, eg. when browsing files, sometimes black rectangle shows up briefly somewhere above explorer window, 1/4 of a second or less. Black rectangle also shows up 99% of the time when I open hidden icons in the notification area. It goes through the middle of the rectangle that reveals the icons. It disappears as soon as I move the mouse over the rectangle containing the icons.

I wanted to try it out on my laptop, which has AMD graphics card instead of NVIDIA, but I have x86 Windows there... I thought about the drivers since NVIDIA's are a bit glitchy these days. Other than that, thank you for the new build. Looking forward to the final version! And thanks for your theme atlas with rounded corners, NoelC!

Regarding auto start, it seems to work fine on my end. The scheduled task is setup just how the Aero Glass installer of the previous version set it up. I'm a single user though and don't have password protected account, if this has something to do with it.

Edit: It seems those glitches can show in any program, just opened Notepad++ on the second monitor, not sure what I did, but at one point, there was one black rectangle flashing in the lower-left corner of the editor area and another above the start menu icon (on the second monitor). Glitches are not specific to particular monitor. They also don't show up on screenshots.

Edited by UCyborg
Additional info regarding visual glitches

MrGRiM: AeroGlass reads the colorization values from registry. The amount of transparency is got from I checked the old Colorization Control Panel and regardless what I set at Intensity slider, it always stores 0xFFbbggrr to registry. In pre-RS1 builds, it stored 0xAA according to the intensity. That's why it always uses the same value for transparency. So you cannot use that old control panel anymore but you must edit the registry values manually.

NeolC: no problem here with auto-startup, no delay set, load "At system startup" enabled... as to colors, do yo have "Autocolorize according to background" enabled? I noticed that this settings resets stores zero transparency to registry and thus the frame will be completely transparent on startup. (and opening UAC dialogbox changes the transparency to higher value... funny)

In my case the frames are coming up nearly opaque at startup, as shown here...  

NearlyOpaque.png

It's not bad, because my RoundedCorners theme atlas looks okay opaque.  I could get used to it, though it's a shame that the opacity setting is being overridden.  I don't get UAC prompts at all, so I don't know whether UAC causes a change.

If I drag the Color balance slider to the right and Opacity slider to the left, I get the translucency back.  This reveals the problem with ribbon-enabled windows. 

TranslucencyAfterAdjustment.png

When I tried enabling UxThemeSignatureBypass (and rebooted), the caption stayed white, but the background glow on ribbon-enabled windows just went screwy...

ScrewedUpCaptionGlow.png

Ribbon-enabled windows are okay, I guess, though not as good as before, without UxThemeSignatureBypass support.  The text when the window is in the foreground is nice and white (as you can see in the first image above), but the background is not shaded - which isn't a big deal with nearly opaque borders.

Regarding startup...

The starting delay works around the failure to start problem for me - after about 10 restarts I can say it seems to start reliably for me at bootup.  You might want to note that in the documentation if anyone else runs into the same problem.  Or just build a small delay into the installer-created Task Scheduler entry for everyone.

I'm not surprised Microsoft has been throwing even more monkey wrenches in your way.  They have no interest in supporting our desire to improve the desktop appearance.  They want us using THEIR UI setup and none other.  They apparently have no interest in Windows having a future.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

Actually I do see a glitch...

Aero Glass doesn't seem to want to auto start on bootup/logon.

The Task Scheduler entry is in there, but apparently starting it before logon just isn't working.  No dialog is popped-up.  If I stop the Aerohost entry and start it again after logon, the Aero Glass effects start.

When this happens, only the first 3 entries show up in the debug.log...

[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] Installing DWM hook...
[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] User: SYSTEM
[2016-08-15 10:28:12][0x5FC:0x600] Module: C:\AeroGlass\DWMGlass.dll

Just as a guess I'm thinking that the DWM debug window just can't open because no one is logged on.

I tried setting up the Task Scheduler entry as "Configure for: Windows Vista" and "Windows 7" without apparent effect.

Edit:  Changing the Task Scheduler entry to run at the Logon of any user works around the problem, except that the colors are not being read correctly from the user-specific settings area.

However:  UxThemeSignatureBypass doesn't seem to dredge up the proper settings for the title text background given that I have to start Aero Glass from the scheduler at login time....  Still working that out...

Edit 2:  The old ModernFrame.dll is non-functional, at least with the Settings App, which is the only one I run.

Edit 3:  Setting the AeroHost task to start up 10 seconds delayed seems to work around the problem with the failure to start.  But the settings seem to not be loaded from the user area.  I'm getting a bright blue and nearly opaque border, but after I run the AeroGlassGUI it corrects itself.  Maybe this is the same problem MrGrim is having?  I'll try to work around this problem by making the settings in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM area].  I'm off to experiment with that.

-Noel

I had the same problem so I followed your configuration and met with the same problem of colors and other settings not being read correctly; however, unlike you, using AeroGlassGUI did not correct the problem. My workaround that seems to be working at the moment is to configure the Task Scheduler entry to run at the Logon of your user account rather than any user.

With auto-colorization of frames according to desktop background color enabled, the colors also come back when the background changes in addition to when UAC dialog pops up. So there's no workaround for this issue ATM? I'd also like to know, where exactly in registry are those settings related to transparency?

That is the question - where the hell are all the different colors stored, and wouldn't it be awesome if we could work out one way to adjust them all that creates and maintains a consistent, unified desktop coloration.  Oh to have the time

The only thing that I haven't got visually integrated right now is to get all the colors that make up the title bar on the Settings App don't match (not that I use it much).  The others I've got pretty well set up so that they look good without much transparency.

SettingsApp.png

-Noel

16 hours ago, NoelC said:

For those who like my RoundedCorners theme atlas, I've updated the .layout file.  You can find an updated copy here that works with build 14393:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/14393/RoundedCorners.zip

Lastly, are you planning to update AeroGlassGUI.exe, Big Muscle?  That would be very cool.

-Noel

The RoundedCorners theme atlas is terrific. I love it. Would it be rude of me to ask you for its mod with no extra color?

As a matter of fact the AeroGlass scheduled task for me does start on system startup every time.

2016-08-16.png

Triggers: At system startup - Enabled

Edited by iweksler

It's probably something special about how I have removed the Apps and App support that changes the timing of the system startup for me.  No matter, the delay is a fine "set it and forget it" workaround for me.  It doesn't cause any additional visible startup delay.

Thanks for the nice feedback on RoundedCorners.

Here is a combination of colorless border graphics with the same .layout file...  I really haven't had time to test it or refine it any.  Let me know if you see something that can be improved.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/14393/RoundedCornersNoExtraColor.zip

-Noel

InvicTech, I know your question is to Big Muscle, but I have a suggestion: 

Try installing Classic Shell.  It facilitates adding blur to Taskbar and Notifications panel...

ClassicShellOnWin10.png

ActionCenterDoesntBlurEdge.png

-Noel

13 hours ago, NoelC said:

It's probably something special about how I have removed the Apps and App support that changes the timing of the system startup for me.  No matter, the delay is a fine "set it and forget it" workaround for me.  It doesn't cause any additional visible startup delay.

Thanks for the nice feedback on RoundedCorners.

Here is a combination of colorless border graphics with the same .layout file...  I really haven't had time to test it or refine it any.  Let me know if you see something that can be improved.

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/14393/RoundedCornersNoExtraColor.zip

-Noel

Thanks cordially. Works great and looks great. It's just perfect for me.

Edited by iweksler