I Want To Run XP On An HP 15-G010DX - Is It Possible?

cc333

26 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Will do. Thanks!

Incidentally, AMD themselves provides XP compatible drivers for the 6-series chipset that this machine seems to use, so once I'm past this AHCI driver issue, I should be good to go (and my friend will be happy, as XP was his favorite OS).

EDIT: I'm planning on installing XP 32-bit, but would it be worth my while to use the x64 edition instead? The only thing of note that I can think of is native support for =>4 GB of RAM, but do any unofficial updates exist that would make it on par with standard XP with the POS hack?

c

I am also thinking about buying HP Pavilion 15, but I would try to put XP 64 just because of as you said, the native support for more than 4 GB of RAM, but the problem with XP 64 bit is that it's very incompatible on the drivers side. You may have more success to install it and it would run faster, but to find drivers would be  very hard. (much harder than the original XP)

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

Will do. Thanks!

Incidentally, AMD themselves provides XP compatible drivers for the 6-series chipset that this machine seems to use, so once I'm past this AHCI driver issue, I should be good to go (and my friend will be happy, as XP was his favorite OS).

EDIT: I'm planning on installing XP 32-bit, but would it be worth my while to use the x64 edition instead? The only thing of note that I can think of is native support for =>4 GB of RAM, but do any unofficial updates exist that would make it on par with standard XP with the POS hack?

c

I am using 4gb up patch for many days with no problem

Soon i will release my new one that will do for you

I am now in possession of the machine once again, so I will try the modded drivers. I'm gonna try XP x64 too, just to see how it works (it seems I have better luck using Vista drivers (should none exist for 32-bit XP) with 64-bit XP for some reason).

c

Edited by cc333
Corrected weird double-post.

6 hours ago, cc333 said:

I am now in possession of the machine once again, so I will try the modded drivers. I'm gonna try XP x64 too, just to see how it works (it seems I have better luck using Vista drivers (should none exist for 32-bit XP) with 64-bit XP for some reason).

c

I'm often lazy when it comes to installing drivers; try this offline driverpack if you can't seem to find them (You can run it from a flash drive!!!) https://sdi-tool.org/. Although, since the laptop isn't officially supporting XP, be very careful if you do use it. In my experience a few incompatible drivers will say "entry point not found", once my XP (Maybe it was 2000, I can't remember) installation kept giving me a blue screen after booting due to drivers.

OK.

Well, I got it past the AHCI issue, but now the computer shuts off for no reason after I hit enter to go forth into Win XP x64 setup. I'll try 32-bit XP and see what happens. EDIT: It works fine otherwise with Windows 8.1.

EDIT #2: It does the same thing with XP 32-bit. What's going on?!

EDIT #3: Success! Hitting F5 and selecting "Standard PC" on XP 32-bit has allowed setup to proceed normally, so far. I wanted XP 64-bit, but that'll have to wait I guess, as there is no "Standard PC" option.

I will also try to download that driver pack, as it seems like a very handy thing to have.

c

Edited by cc333

OK, I have it running fairly well now, except there's no GPU driver (anyone know of a modified-for-XP driver for the Radeon 4 series?), and I'm stuck with no ACPI support (so no standby, I have to manually power the machine off when I shut Windows down, and it only sees one CPU core).

I'd like to fix at least the ACPI issues, but when I try from setup, it dies as described in my last post, and when I try the workarounds on the installed system, it crashes and BSoD's every time I boot. If anyone has any other ideas (patched files, registry workarounds), I'm all ears!

Oh, well. I'm surprised it works at all.

c

Edited by cc333

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 1:51 AM, cc333 said:

OK, I have it running fairly well now, except there's no GPU driver (anyone know of a modified-for-XP driver for the Radeon 4 series?), and I'm stuck with no ACPI support (so no standby, I have to manually power the machine off when I shut Windows down, and it only sees one CPU core).

I'd like to fix at least the ACPI issues, but when I try from setup, it dies as described in my last post, and when I try the workarounds on the installed system, it crashes and BSoD's every time I boot. If anyone has any other ideas (patched files, registry workarounds), I'm all ears!

Oh, well. I'm surprised it works at all.

c

try universal vesa vbe driver