What can I do with this old XP computer?

ZortMcGort11

23 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

In my experience, a dual core is a minimum CPU and 4GB RAM would be what I want. I've tried lesser configurations and always run into problems. I am thinking about everything that I like or want to do online. Using a lower spec system would limit that, and I would not consider such a system capable of handling the internet, nor try to use it as an every-day pc for internet access.

4 Gb of which you will be using only around 3.25 or 3.5 with a "standard" x86 32 bit OS :whistle:

Sure, 2 Gb is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2, however ...

@bphlpt

Also not-so-nicely, actually pretty much "directly" or "bluntly", JFYI:

jaclaz

On 27.07.2016 at 6:41 PM, vinifera said:

any 3D game will lag coz of GPU 64bit memory bandwith

Well, some will work: http://games.gamepressure.com/game.asp?ID=1439 ;)

Of course can't even speak about newer titles, but you can play games released up to ~2005, f.e. Call of Duty 2 http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/call-of-duty-2/10372/?p=r or GTA: San Andreas http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas/10289. Only if you are feeling good with slightly older classics, sometimes played in low details... Long-time retro lover speaks from inside of me, but you can have years of really good time just with older games and no need to even look at the flashy 'n glossy hype of E3 2016 or something like that, and newest blockbuster titles. Not even mentioning indie games, that can have really low requirements in new titles, and provide tons of fun like this one http://retrocityrampage.com/msdos_retail.php. Not even mentioning fan-made mods and freeware games... etc... and all of that with a subtle charm of playing them on PC 'from the days' ;)
Edit: even some slightly newer than 2005 (and really awesome) games can run: http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/mount-and-blade

About XP installation CD, I'm wondering how much bloatware it can contain? Isn't it better to download XP SP3 ISO, drivers for hardware and run on really clean PC? I know it might take time (I did it once for 2005 Dell laptop), but may be worth it.

Edited by Mcinwwl
new content

Well, I haven't had much recent experience with modern PCs in the last year or two, but I have used an Apple PowerBook G4 upon occasion (which is contemporary), and it didn't fare too well (I'd say barely usable, and perhaps useless if you need to do anything Flash-intensive, like Youtube). From what I've heard and read, though, those old P4's often have fared better, if only somewhat (probably because they were often clocked much higher than the G4s).

That being said, if you can optimize it carefully (and max out the RAM, if possible), it should perform quite adequately for light to medium web browsing (don't expect it to play High Definition Youtube videos, though, at least not without some serious upgrades).

c

Edited by cc333

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

4 Gb of which you will be using only around 3.25 or 3.5 with a "standard" x86 32 bit OS :whistle:

Certainly 3.26GB is better than 3GB. :P

@cc333 Yes that is probably my complaint. Streaming or watching videos is the problem. Being spoiled after all these years (to think that old videos on Youtube look grainy and bad) I need to have the best quality I can get.

Back onto the topic, aside from the obvious "games!" answer, you could also use it as a file server on a network and/or as a backup for your files. Hindsight tells me that putting backups on hard disks has been more reliable than backing up to CD-Rs...

18 hours ago, vinifera said:

not worth it, even old Geforce 440 mx had better bandwidth :D
and trust me I raped that with games made in 2008 :D

Well that's how writing when exhausted ends... now I've realized that we're speaking bout integrated Intel chipset... see it now... :)

wow, i get really touched by this post... specially about thr word "paperweight"...

....because my main PC is a optiplex usff 280

I never feel the need to upgrade, and for now, works great for everything I need, specially programming, that is my main activity

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 4:02 AM, bphlpt said:

Dibya, we all like you, we really do, and we really admire that someone as young as you are has such an interest in modifying computer software and not just playing computer games and chatting on Facebook. But please, please, please NEVER use the term "Dude" here ever again -- EVER.  You are really irritating some of our members to the point that some of them are probably tempted to ban you for the use of this somewhat disrespectful term in this environment when they have repeatedly asked you nicely over and over again not to use it. So please STOP IT!

Cheers and Regards my friend

Sorry I am really sorry

@other guys

yesterday i once opened my p4 pc from cupboard and runned it.

I can browse web, chat , email also see videos and play games online with Xp 32bit

photoshop cs6 is running smooth. Under passmark it performed quite well

I really suggest to have 1gb ram and 512 mb graphics card.

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.

Status update: Installed XP with no problems. Wasn't asked for any sort of key or serial numbers. Even Windows ME requested the registration key. So yeah, go figure.

Copied the "System Information Viewer" program by Ray Hinchliffe to the computer for a quick system summary. 1GB RAM is already installed, so I figure that's good enough.

No modems/Networking information detected. However, looking at the back of the computer I see two phone jacks so I'm assuming there is a modem, there is also a "Modem Installation Drivers" disc so maybe I'll pop that in next.

I turned off Automatic Updates. According to the "Security Center" automatic updates are off, Windows Firewall is On, and there is no Anti-Virus installed. I figured as much, so no surprise.

What are you guys' thoughts about Windows Firewall, when I get that computer hooked up to the web, will that firewall be good enough, or will I need something better?

Right now, I'm on my Windows ME computer and I'm downloading Internet Explorer 8 and some other programs. I'm not actually going to use IE 8, just trying to update the system however.

Will keep you guys posted, as I 'm sure I'll need help when trying to figure out the HIGH SPEED INTERNET stuff. Thanks :-)

2nd update:

tried to install IE8, but it said it needed to download updates from the internet. Needless to say, it didn't work without internet connectoin. Oh well. No biggie. I plan on using latest K-Meleon anyway.

What hardware will I need to get on the internet with that thing? Thanks guys.

First, you would probably need an ethernet card, if you don't have one already. The port looks similar to the modem ports, but it's wider.

Second, once you're online, it wouldn't hurt to let IE8 download its updates, as even if you don't use it, leaving it at IE6 creates a giant bulls-eye for viruses to zero in on. It will also allow for Windows Update to work properly (though it should still work on 6).

Third, upgrading the RAM wouldn't hurt down the road. 1 GB is adequate, but 2 GB or more would be ideal, as discussed earlier in this thread.

Good luck getting it going!

c

6 hours ago, ZortMcGort11 said:

No modems/Networking information detected. However, looking at the back of the computer I see two phone jacks so I'm assuming there is a modem, there is also a "Modem Installation Drivers" disc so maybe I'll pop that in next.

Isn't this:

Spoiler

126092-dell-optiplex-gx280-9466.jpg

what you have? :dubbio:

Or this one:

Spoiler

Dell-Optiplex-GX280-back.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary (and recognize RJ11 and RJ45) and those who don't. ;)

Seriously, if you have two "phone jacks", what we highly specialized technicians call "RJ11" sockets, they are likely on an add-on card, you should also have a network socket (a RJ45) near the USB connectors.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

And also, just because the hardware is present does not need you need to install the driver for it. It all depends on if you are going to use it. So when it comes to a modem in a computer, if you aren't going to use the modem, don't bother installing the driver.

Hi guys, thanks for replies. It's the second picture that Jaclaz posted. Here's a link to a picture I took (sorry I can't get my browser to upload a picture on MSFN board). I also put some arrows pointing to things on the computer. I'm sure #3 is the modem, because that's the one that says "phone" and "line" on it. :-)

As far as #1 that's next to the USB plug-ins.... is that my connector for the network/ethernet card? It's like a bigger phone jack hole.

mydell2.jpg

No clue what that #2 thing is.

Edited by ZortMcGort11