Registry Permissions Problem

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

If I select any Registry Hive and go to Edit -> Permissions there is a tick next to "Full Control."
That means all the sub-keys under each Hive should allow me to modify, rename, delete, etc.

I'm suppose to have complete control over the Registry, but I don't.  Dialog boxes are appearing
when I try to delete some Keys.  I have to right-click for the Context Menu and select Permissions
-> Full Control.  Sometimes, "Full Control" is grayed out and I'm forced to change or edit the
"Advanced" settings.

These Keys are not System related!  They're junk that should be deleted from the Registry.  I've
been working in the Registry since it was introduced by Microsoft (Windows 3.1).  I know what I'm
doing.

If you're a "Reg Hacker," which I suppose describes me, then you know how to safely edit the
Registry.  Many years ago I stopped using all but the most conservative Registry Cleaners.
Remember some of those cleaners with names like "Drill" or "Blaster?"  If you didn't have a
backup your System was toast!

How can I fix this "Permissions" problem?  Maybe I should change something in the Group Policy
Editor?

Error Deleting Key.jpg

A child node is preventing deletition. You need to tick "Replace child permissions to this object..." Even then, some things are held by the system (open handles). Never touch SAM or SECURITY hives, the system will not boot. Also, I suggest you don't change permissions of "root" (top level) keys (the hives).

As always, all this is extremely dangerous and could brick your OS at any time, for no apparent reason.

Edit: While we're at it, a shameless plug of some of my ramblings... :P

Edited by GrofLuigi

7 hours ago, GrofLuigi said:

As always, all this is extremely dangerous and could brick your OS at any time, for no apparent reason.

Don't worry! ;)

16 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

I've been working in the Registry since it was introduced by Microsoft (Windows 3.1).  I know what I'm doing.

If you're a "Reg Hacker," which I suppose describes me, then you know how to safely edit the Registry.

:whistle:

jaclaz

As usual, I sort of fix the problem, but never take the final step!

When "Full Control" was grayed out on some Keys related to an uninstalled app, I did add a tick next
to "Replace permission entries on all child objects . . . "  What I didn't do was tick that same item for
an entire Registry Hive.  That's why I was having so much trouble!

GrofLuigi, I can never wreck any of my systems.  (No, I'm not crazy either!)  Since I was kid, I've been
involved with electronics.  I've been a partner in two electronics related businesses.  My main desktop
at home (a multi-boot computer) is protected by huge piles of full image backups and several other
things.  I want full control of the Registry, because anything I accidentally damage can be reversed
from outside the system in five minutes or less.

If I really want total control of the Registry, should I also tick this item under Advanced -> Permissions:

"Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects . . ."