About AMD Drivers on Vista

greenhillmaniac

18 minutes ago, Luxman said:

:o That's not good at all. 

As a strange side note to that, something happened today...I booted up my Vista drive (haven't done that in a while) to run a program I only keep on Vista, and decided to update Firefox (I had v46). I ran the internal updater and I could only get to as current as v47.1. I tried the updater multiple times but no luck getting a prompt for v49.1. I didn't attempt to download and run the full 49.1 installer, though, so I can't say for certain there is an issue regarding Vista/Mozilla.

EDIT: Vista/XP support ending for Firefox http://www.ghacks.net/2016/09/27/firefox-53-no-support-for-windows-xp-or-vista/

Be sure to check out (and follow, if you want to) my "Last versions of software for Windows Vista" thread, as it gives useful information about the current state of compatibility with third party software for Windows Vista. There are quite a few alternatives to Firefox listed in the ongoing support section on there that may be of interest to you. The link for the thread is in my signature, and lately has been updated quite often, since I keep a VM of Vista around and regularly test software to see what (still) works and what doesn't. 

Would it be completely unreasonable to believe that some of the work being put into getting XP somewhat up to par with 7 could be used, with relatively minor changes, on Vista?

It seems reasonable to me, given how ignorant I am regarding how it gets done :)

c

48 minutes ago, cc333 said:

Would it be completely unreasonable to believe that some of the work being put into getting XP somewhat up to par with 7 could be used, with relatively minor changes, on Vista?

It seems reasonable to me, given how ignorant I am regarding how it gets done :)

c

Don't worry, I'm pretty ignorant about it all too, but from what little I've learned, I don't think it would be reasonable due to a number of factors:
Windows Vista is NT 6.0, 7 is NT 6.1, and XP is NT 5.1. Windows Vista, while it may have some striking similarities with XP in some areas compared to 7, as an OS and under the hood, it's much, much closer to Windows 7. The driver model, the kernel, task manager, explorer, preinstallation environment, desktop window manager, DirectX (both Vista and 7 have DirectX 11 support, although Vista needs the platform update to obtain it), everything. Windows 7 is only a minor revision of Vista, while Vista was pretty much a complete overhaul coming from XP. Even Windows 10 and Vista are more alike than Vista and XP, due to the kernel architecture (Windows 7, 8, and 10 are all Vista based, just look at the NT number and the level of backwards compatibility between these OSes compared to XP). 
From my understanding, bringing XP up to par with 7 (in terms of compatibility) usually requires adding the missing API calls to the corresponding XP DLLs, and also figuring out a way to bypass OS checks (if required). The latter could probably be programmed for Vista, if it were just a script like the Application Compatibility Launcher for Win2k, but as for the former, someone would have to separately add the API calls into Vista's DLLs, which would be a totally separate project in itself. If I recall correctly, according to Dibya (I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I can't remember exactly where he posted this but I have seen it on here somewhere), there appears to be less than 30 missing calls that have been added to Windows 7 from a fully updated Vista w/ platform update which does make sense given how 7 and Vista are so similar. Getting Vista up to par with 7 would probably require minimal effort compared to getting XP up there, but the problem is finding someone able and willing to do it, which seems unlikely to happen to me, given the bad rep Vista has. Maybe one day, somebody somewhere will prove themselves and take on this project, but for now, Vista is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and I'd say by the end 2017, it will be pretty much totally done for. 

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

Maybe the discontinuation of Vista in 2017 might peek the interest of some modders, and we might get some compatibility fixes (it's a longshot...)

Regardless, I'll keep updating the thread with any new AMD driver developments. As long as there are some people interested in the OS, it will never die!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with the AMD Radeon HD 7700. It has supported drivers for vista but after rebooting, the drivers are disabled and device manager says (Code 43)

I'm using this as a second videocard though, so if it doesn't work at all, i don't mind going back to NVidia :)

EDIT: OK, the drivers doesn't even work with Vista! It's minimum requirement is Windows 7.. But why does it say that it supports Vista on the site?

It's so sad seeing Windows Vista dying like this, it was my fav OS since day one.

Edited by GTAGAME

On 01/12/2016 at 10:46 PM, GTAGAME said:

I have the same problem with the AMD Radeon HD 7700. It has supported drivers for vista but after rebooting, the drivers are disabled and device manager says (Code 43)

I'm using this as a second videocard though, so if it doesn't work at all, i don't mind going back to NVidia :)

EDIT: OK, the drivers doesn't even work with Vista! It's minimum requirement is Windows 7.. But why does it say that it supports Vista on the site?

It's so sad seeing Windows Vista dying like this, it was my fav OS since day one.

Your card has drivers for it! You can install the latest supported ones, the Catalyst 15.6 beta: http://files.ngohq.com/ati/amd-catalyst-15.6-beta-software-suite-win7-64bit-june22.exe, by modding the INF file and using @smeezekitty's fix: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173175-catalyst-1412-omega-on-vista/?page=1

Heck, even the officially supported drivers work with your card on Vista (the old Catalyst 13.12): https://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-12_winvista_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

• 2 weeks later...

(Here I am reviving a dead thread like I'm a paramedic or something...)

New AMD driver version, bumped in the big end of year update, Radeon Software 'Crimson' ReLive Edition 16.12.1 (what a mouthful!):

- 16.50 - improves DX11 drawcalls, bumps Vulkan version to 1.4.1. Also brings improvements to FreeSync, and other features.

I assume compatibility status is the same as all versions since June 2015, that is, incompatible.

One funny thing I've noted, is that the HDMI audio driver is still compatible with Vista...

Edited by greenhillmaniac

On 12/14/2016 at 1:42 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

(Here I am reviving a dead thread like I'm a paramedic or something...)

New AMD driver version, bumped in the big end of year update, Radeon Software 'Crimson' ReLive Edition 16.12.1 (what a mouthful!):

- 16.50 - improves DX11 drawcalls, bumps Vulkan version to 1.4.1. Also brings improvements to FreeSync, and other features.

I assume compatibility status is the same as all versions since June 2015, that is, incompatible.

One funny thing I've noted, is that the HDMI audio driver is still compatible with Vista...

Hi my friend can you list missing api for XP and Vista?
I will add some function to kernel of vista . I know what is the pain of not running favourite os .

Just now, greenhillmaniac said:

Yup, already have the Vista DVD ready for dual boot :P

I wished hear it .

Cheers and regards

please can you test it with xp? My fury X still not came from MSI , I donot know what hell they are doing.

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Dibya said:

I wished hear it .

Cheers and regards

please can you test it with xp? My fury X still not came from MSI , I donot know what hell they are doing.

:lol:

I'll try, but you know that Vista comes first! And besides, there's not much sense in talking about hypothetical scenarios without the modded driver files themselves, so we'll see...

14 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I'll try, but you know that Vista comes first! And besides, there's not much sense in talking about hypothetical scenarios without the modded driver files themselves, so we'll see...

okay

• 2 months later...
On 5.12.2016 at 5:45 PM, greenhillmaniac said:

Your card has drivers for it! You can install the latest supported ones, the Catalyst 15.6 beta: http://files.ngohq.com/ati/amd-catalyst-15.6-beta-software-suite-win7-64bit-june22.exe, by modding the INF file and using @smeezekitty's fix: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173175-catalyst-1412-omega-on-vista/?page=1

Heck, even the officially supported drivers work with your card on Vista (the old Catalyst 13.12): https://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-12_winvista_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

Hmm, but i'm using it as a second videocard though. I tried all official amd drivers but it still didn't work. 

The patch is x32 only :/

Edited by GTAGAME