NTDETECT failed - during setup

Today I started installing Windows 2000 Advanced Server on my computer, but once it's at the part where it should start the graphical setup, I get this message:

Invalid BOOT.INI file

Booting from C:\winnt\

NTDETECT failed

Any help?

EDIT: The problem was fixed by installing Windows 2000 Datacenter server rather than Advanced server. After all, it seems like Windows 2000 Datacenter Server has better support for newer hardware rather than older versions.

Edited by Windows 2000

After successfully installed Windows 2000 on my machine, I get BSOD on start up "c000026c" and it says "Failed to Load Device Driver" - device driver: usbhub20.

Once I disable USB 2.0 support from the BIOS it successfully boots the operating system, but I can't use my mouse.

Any help?

Edited by Windows 2000

1 hour ago, Windows 2000 said:

After successfully installed Windows 2000 on my machine, I get BSOD on start up "c000026c" and it says "Failed to Load Device Driver" - device driver: usbhub20.

Once I disable USB 2.0 support from the BIOS it successfully boots the operating system, but I can't use my mouse.

Any help?

You will need to detail the specific hardware you are trying to use.

Maybe a 2k compatible driver is found (in some cases it has been possible to backport/use an XP driver).

Since your keyboard seemingly works, it must be a PS/2 one, so the motherboard likely has two "normal" PS/2 ports :unsure: especially during the troubleshooting/experiments, it would be a good idea if you could procure a PS/2 mouse or an USB one with a PS/2 adapter (AFAIK the USB mouse needs to be "compatible" with PS/2, i.e. not all USB mice are compatible with those adapters).

jaclaz

14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

You will need to detail the specific hardware you are trying to use.

Maybe a 2k compatible driver is found (in some cases it has been possible to backport/use an XP driver).

Since your keyboard seemingly works, it must be a PS/2 one, so the motherboard likely has two "normal" PS/2 ports :unsure: especially during the troubleshooting/experiments, it would be a good idea if you could procure a PS/2 mouse or an USB one with a PS/2 adapter (AFAIK the USB mouse needs to be "compatible" with PS/2, i.e. not all USB mice are compatible with those adapters).

jaclaz

Yes you're right. My keyboard is an PS/2 one. - and I am also going to purchase a PS/2 mouse, but that's not the only problem.

I am using an USB WiFi Adapter, which I don't think I can get to work with USB 2.0 support disabled... :(

That adapter is compatible with Windows 2000, so I don't think that I'll have any problems with the drivers there.

About my hardware, I am trying to install Windows 2000 on an motherboard that supports only supports Windows XP or later... Fortunately, after thousands of fails, I managed to get Windows 2000 up and running. The only problem is actually getting USB support.

Motherboard: AsRock H61M-DGS

RAM: 8GB (Afcourse only 3.6 GB are recognized - I'll put my faster 4 GBs of RAM later this week)

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 560 (I'll deal with it's drivers later... :( - BlackWingCat's support will be surely needed. :P)

Processor: Intel Core i5 3.3 GHz 4 cores (I can't boot the PC right now to tell the exact model, however it was fully recognized by Windows 2000)

P.S. I want this exact version of Windows, no matter how good my hardware is and I'll do everything possible to get it up and running with no problems. Virtual machines don't do the job as good as an physical os would.

Edited by Windows 2000

15 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

Would If I use usbhub20.sys from Windows XP help? - or it would make the things even worse?

Probably yes, though the issue right now is that without mouse it will be difficult to deal with the machine, i.e. I was suggesting to have a PS/2 mouse in order to test the XP usbhub20.sys )in XP the corresponding file is usbhub.sys, I believe) , though the actual culprit may be not the usbhub20.sys itself, but rather some other component driver (still connected to the USB, of course, the "hub" in itself should be "standard", but uUSB support is made out of several drivers "interconnected" between them) it is more likely that the issue is with the PCI to USB bridge, but cannot say.

You could try to use this (unrelated) KB files:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/838989

(just to see if they change something).

Another idea is to make a (temporary) install of XP to see which drivers are actually used in it/which specific hardware (VID/PID, etc) is on the board.

jaclaz

18 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

Probably yes, though the issue right now is that without mouse it will be difficult to deal with the machine, i.e. I was suggesting to have a PS/2 mouse in order to test the XP usbhub20.sys )in XP the corresponding file is usbhub.sys, I believe) , though the actual culprit may be not the usbhub20.sys itself, but rather some other component driver (still connected to the USB, of course, the "hub" in itself should be "standard", but uUSB support is made out of several drivers "interconnected" between them) it is more likely that the issue is with the PCI to USB bridge, but cannot say.

You could try to use this (unrelated) KB files:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/838989

(just to see if they change something).

Another idea is to make a (temporary) install of XP to see which drivers are actually used in it/which specific hardware (VID/PID, etc) is on the board.

jaclaz

Now I am going to order an PS/2 from the internet. Unfortunately, for the next 4 days I won't have access to the computer, but until then, I am open for ideas.

Once I get access to the computer, I'll try using that file from Windows XP and I'll share the results, but as I said, until then, I am open also for another ideas.

Before actually trying that file, I may try the update that you recommended to see if it actually changes something.

Edited by Windows 2000

Fixed by installing Windows 2000 Professional... (It's strange... I know)

After it's done installing, we'll see what's up with the drivers.

EDIT: Now it doesn't give BSOD or anything, but it doesn't recognize the mouse at all... Only the red laser is working, while in the bios, the mouse works perfectly.

EDIT: It doesn't detect ANY USB devices. Anything that would help to fix it? - I might end up using an internet WAN adapter and an PS2 mouse...

EDIT: It seems like microsoft has a fix for me. My both USB devices (WIFI Adapter and Mouse) are being displayed in device manager with exclamation mark. HOTFIX: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822568

Edited by Windows 2000

8 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Fixed by installing Windows 2000 Professional... (It's strange... I know)

After it's done installing, we'll see what's up with the drivers.

EDIT: Now it doesn't give BSOD or anything, but it doesn't recognize the mouse at all... Only the red laser is working, while in the bios, the mouse works perfectly.

EDIT: It doesn't detect ANY USB devices. Anything that would help to fix it? - I might end up using an internet WAN adapter and an PS2 mouse...

EDIT: It seems like microsoft has a fix for me. My both USB devices (WIFI Adapter and Mouse) are being displayed in device manager with exclamation mark. HOTFIX: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822568

You are experiencing a problem that has existed for W2k Pro on the last several generations of hardware.  I have worked through this on Z77, Z87, Z97 and X99 platforms; the corrective steps vary with the hardware (including the mouse being used).

The solution is to use your PS/2 keyboard to enter device manager, and from there to install the USB drivers manually (the necessary drivers are already present on your machine).

10 hours ago, bluebolt said:

You are experiencing a problem that has existed for W2k Pro on the last several generations of hardware.  I have worked through this on Z77, Z87, Z97 and X99 platforms; the corrective steps vary with the hardware (including the mouse being used).

The solution is to use your PS/2 keyboard to enter device manager, and from there to install the USB drivers manually (the necessary drivers are already present on your machine).

I've already tried reinstalling both of them, unfortunately, without any success...

Also, the hotfix doesn't seem to be "downloadable" anymore. - as blackwingcat mentioned, Microsoft deleted all Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Anything else that could fix my issue?

EDIT: There was 2 devices in device manager as "USB", but after installing different driver, they're now 4 from which 3 are recognized! - unfortunately the 4th is my mouse... :(   I have few other things that I could try regarding "reinstalling drivers"

EDIT: THIS FIXED EVERYTHING! I REALLY REALLY REALLY THANK YOU!

Edited by Windows 2000

52 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

...but after installing different driver, they're now 4 from which 3 are recognized! - unfortunately the 4th is my mouse..."

Correct, you don’t want to “reinstall” the USB drivers the OS has chosen, because those don’t work--you want to manually direct Device Manager to the other USB drivers.  Device Manager will give you a number of choices to try.

I think you can get your mouse working, too.  It is a frustrating process with multiple steps; expect some trial and error, e.g.:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173698-windows-2000-professional-on-the-z97-platform/?do=findComment&comment=1100721

EDIT:  I missed your second edit--sounds like you have your mouse working, as well?  If so, excellent!  You can now move back to a USB keyboard, if you wish.

Edited by bluebolt

Exactly. No more problems with any USB Device.

By the way, can someone recommend me a good (or at least working) Windows 2000 Third-Party Wireless Connection Utility, because mine does work, however it doesn't have the abillity to connect to a wireless network or atleast I don't seem to be able to navigate it to. Any recommendations?

11 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

EDIT: It seems like microsoft has a fix for me. My both USB devices (WIFI Adapter and Mouse) are being displayed in device manager with exclamation mark. HOTFIX: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822568

Try requesting it here:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=822568&kbln=it

;)

jaclaz

6 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

Don't apply it.

Windows 2000 SP 3 and before version not support USB 2.0

You should create SP4 Integrated CD and reinstall with it.

I don't understand why are we still discussing the USBs when the problem was fixed... :D

There's a different problem now. I don't seem to be able to find any third party connection manager. I've tried BVRP, QSS, the integrated in the WLAN Card and one more which I don't remember, but all of them seem to be giving me different errors. Most of the times saying that my WIFI password is wrong in some sort, but I even tried in open WiFi and it gives me another error.20160712_101429.jpg

20160712_101932.jpg

Edited by Windows 2000