NTDETECT failed - during setup

I've finally figured out how to work with the integrated program with my Network Adapter... :D

All I can say is, "WHY on the world this had to be so difficult?" - I was always trying some third party programs that were obviously not working properly with my hardware, but the integrated program, after you spend 2 days on it, you figure out how to connect...

10 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

I don't understand why are we still discussing the USBs when the problem was fixed... :D

So, since in your specific case the problem was fixed we shouldn't leave any hint/suggestion for other people that - having a similar problem - may actually need those patched files? :dubbio:

Btw, my post hinted that WHEN:

15 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Also, the hotfix doesn't seem to be "downloadable" anymore. - as blackwingcat mentioned, Microsoft deleted all Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

a hotfix is not downloadable AND MS has not a link to the hotfix e-mail sending service page,you can try to access that page nonetheless, and in SOME cases it still works:

hxxps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=<actual KB number>&kbln=

As a side note:

28 minutes ago, Windows 2000 said:

There's a different problem now. I don't seem to be able to find any third party connection manager.

the thread is not titled "Please help me with all the issue I am having and will have installing Windows 2000", in order to keep things as easy to find as possible it would be nice if you could start a new thread for this new, different issue.

It seems however that the issue was - at least partially - with your "WPA supplicant" and its configuration, just in case (and for other readers landing here):

And also:
http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/

Linux but there is also a Windows binary, cannot say specifically if it works on 2K. :unsure: , let alone on a specific machine, it is largely a hit and miss game (with a lot of misses) when it comes to Windows 2000 and newish hardware/protocols. :(

jaclaz

19 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Btw, my post hinted that WHEN:

a hotfix is not downloadable AND MS has not a link to the hotfix e-mail sending service page,you can try to access that page nonetheless, and in SOME cases it still works:

hxxps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=<actual KB number>&kbln=

The M$ hotfix download system used to work well in the past but seems to have a lot of problems now...

The site itself often does not load at all (this does seem to be browser dependent as I have not seen the problem in IE). Also, I have been unable to receive any e-mails with hotfix URLs when using my main e-mail addresses (GMail and also another provider) but did receive them when I just used a temporary e-mail address.

Edited by tomasz86

6 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

The M$ hotfix download system used to work well in the past but seems to have a lot of problems now...

The site itself often does not load at all (this does seem to be browser dependent as I have not seen the problem in IE). Also, I have been unable to receive any e-mails with hotfix URLs when using my main e-mail addresses (GMail and also another provider) but did receive them when I just used a temporary e-mail address.

Well, specifically to the KB 8225688, I tested it and it worked fine for me, as said it may work or completely fail to, it is anyway worth a try.

It worked for me BOTH in Opera (Presto) and Iron (Chrome) based, it may well depend  to the location from which you request it. :unsure:

And the link was delivered fine to my (gmail) address.

The actual download link leads to hotfixv4.microsoft.com, so this is another thing worth a try when looking for "strange" MS hotfixes:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/*

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

6 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, specifically to the KB 8225688, I tested it and it worked fine for me, as said it may work or completely fail to, it is anyway worth a try.

It worked for me BOTH in Opera (Presto) and Iron (Chrome) based, it may well depend  to the location from which you request it. :unsure:

And the link was delivered fine to my (gmail) address.

The actual download link leads to hotfixv4.microsoft.com, so this is another thing worth a try when looking for "strange" MS hotfixes:
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/*

This is what I often get when trying to open any hotfix link:

Spoiler

z4swzcm.png

In such a situation the link sometimes works after refresh or when opened in another browser. I do not know what is the reason but I do know that I had no such problems in the past. It has been like this for at least a few months. I have also not experienced any similar issues with other websites, including other M$ sites.

Even if I finally manage to reach the proper hotfix request site and apply for the files, the e-mails never come :}.

I will probably have to check whether it only happens when using my home Internet or also in other places.

Edit: I do no think it is my connection because the exact same problem is happening in Tor Browser.

Edit 2: I have found a way to construct hotfix direct URLs without actually requesting them by e-mail (details here).

Edited by tomasz86