Updating Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows 2000

Firefox and Thunderbird are unable to self-update on Windows 2000 with UUR. If you check for updates with an old version, it will claim it's already up to date.

On the other hand, Pale Moon will update itself just fine.

Does anyone why this is? Is there a fix for it? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Windows 2000 で Firefox 12.0以降のアップデートが自動的にできない件 - Windows 2000 Blog

(About Firefox 12 and later can not update automatically on Windows 2000)

Plz Translate its article :P

On 6/7/2016 at 10:28 AM, MrMaguire said:

Firefox and Thunderbird are unable to self-update on Windows 2000 with UUR. If you check for updates with an old version, it will claim it's already up to date.

Does anyone why this is? Is there a fix for it? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Would changing registry info do anything? If firefox thinks the OS is XP shouldn't it automatically update? If someone uses a unsupported firefox version on Windows 9x via kernelex, I believe firefox can still read that its running on Windows 9x therefore preventing automatic updating.

It is not registry setting but about:config in firefox or thunderbird.

Windows 2000 and before OS are prevented automatic update, then we should  change update url for XP.

14 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Would changing registry info do anything? If firefox thinks the OS is XP shouldn't it automatically update? If someone uses a unsupported firefox version on Windows 9x via kernelex, I believe firefox can still read that its running on Windows 9x therefore preventing automatic updating.

If I understand right, one should go to about:config, and there create or change the string value app.update.url.override so that it's contents become (according to my interpreatation of BlackWingCat's Blog):

https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/Windows_NT%205.1.3.0%20(x86)/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml

@~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~: Can you read Japanese? If so, there are many things on BlackWingCat's Blog that would be useful to translate to English and post here on MSFN...

On 6/8/2016 at 10:50 PM, dencorso said:

If I understand right, one should go to about:config, and there create or change the string value app.update.url.override so that it's contents become (according to my interpreatation of BlackWingCat's Blog):

https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/Windows_NT%205.1.3.0%20(x86)/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml

@~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~: Can you read Japanese? If so, there are many things on BlackWingCat's Blog that would be useful to translate to English and post here on MSFN...

Sorry I cannot read Japanese, only a bit of Chinese characters so I maybe able to get some basic ideas at best. (Note: I'm a weeaboo teenager so don't count on me...)

On 6/9/2016 at 7:20 AM, dencorso said:

If any one has any problem with japanese please ask me or BlackWingCat.

I do too much gramatical mistake in japanese.

On 2016년 6월 7일 화요일 at 10:28 PM, MrMaguire said:

The solution was already provided above but there is also an alternative method which is to use portable versions of the software.

I use both Firefox and Thunderbird from PortableApps and update them using the PortableApps installer. This way there is no need to touch any configuration files.