Win2k Advanced Server Annoyances

This might be a long shot since I don't think many use Advanced Server, but I'll give it a shot. Why is it that sometimes it has trouble drawing windows correctly? Corel VideoStudio sometimes comes up with no text or buttons. Goldwave sometimes has trouble drawing the wave file correctly, and sometimes gets stuck if you resize the window, it'll still play but it won't display correctly. Sometimes certain parts of the window just disappear completely for no reason at all. Fast Stone Image Viewer fails to draw pictures correctly sometimes as well. This seems to happen particularly when I have Palemoon open with Facebook loaded. Any ideas why this happens? More info will be given if needed.

Have you ensured the hardware acceleration settings are cranked up in dxdiag and the advanced Display settings? Being that this is a server build, it may be set low or off by default.

I don't think that the display/video part(s) of the Advanced Server are in *any way* dfferent from "Normal" Professional or Server in 2K.

Drivers is another thing, from the symptoms it sounds like an issue with RAM.

Can you try reproducing with Task Manager loaded checking how much memory the various programs use?

Also some hardware specs?

jaclaz

I used Advanced Server in the past. There are NO differences in the core system files between all Windows 2000 editions. I do no think your problem is related to this particular version of Windows 2000. The only issues I had back then was software that claimed to be "incompatible" with the server OS which usually meant "you must pay a lot of $$$ for the server version of our product".

What kind of hardware are you using the OS on?

I had no problems with Professional and I do have my settings jacked up, in fact I even lowered it to see if it would solve anything, it doesn't. I'm using the same driver as I do with Pro as well, it's 175.86 (guessing) with an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB of RAM. The Pro version never had issues like this but this is on the very same computer so that's what has me scratching my head and thinking that there's something in the OS that's going haywire.

If you have enabled either /PAE or /3GB (or both), try to disable them. Being able to use more RAM and more CPU cores is really the only noticeable difference between this particular version of 2K and Professional (in home environment, that is).

Are you sure that the environment is identical to the one you used Pro in? Try to disable (uninstall) as much as possible to see if the problem persists in a bare-bones state too. Is there anything suspicious in the Event Viewer?

There is a nVIDIA display driver in my download archive. Could you try to replace yours with this one? I had the same graphics card before and used it with Windows 2000 without any issues.