Research on AM3+ boards

ragnargd

Not necessarily. As I posted earlier, my MA785 has a single combo PS/2 Port. It can handle either a Mouse or Keyboard but not both. I have the PS/2 Y Cable but it does not work.
I think only some laptops support that Y Cable.

Edited by rloew

I haven't found any PS/2 splitter cable that worked to provide both PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse working.

If you have only one PS/2 Port (Combo).  Use it for the PS/2 Keyboard.  Some of the modern motherboards still have a serial Com port header if you must use a serial mouse during the setup by getting a one of those brackets and use it temporarily or install it permanently.  The 98SE install can be completed with the PS/2 Keyboard all the way to the end without the need of a mouse.  You can later swap the PS/2 Keyboard with USB mouse > PS/2 adapter and hook the USB keyboard to the onboard USB 2 ports (no drivers necessary).

I have the proper cable but the Motherboard doesn't support it.

I found it easier to use a Mouse on the PS/2 Port and an USB Keyboard. There is no COM Port.
Navigation through Installation is easier during the USB Driver Installation where the Keyboard fails.
Windows 95 will not boot, without a warning, if no detected Mouse, unless you set an Option.

USB Keyboards do need Drivers. The Files are already present, but you have to go through the detection sequence.

Edited by rloew

Not necessarily. As I posted earlier, my MA785 has a single combo PS/2 Port. It can handle either a Mouse or Keyboard but not both. I have the PS/2 Y Cable but it does not work.
I think only some laptops support that Y Cable.

I meant 2 paralell device support, its working for some - usually Asus and Gigabyte desktop board, in MSI and Asrock bioses have no such features, here in scorched hearth of europe you really cant buy MB for other vendors for retails that these 4. In OEM is lots vanilla Intels boards.

This cable is working, Dell origin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-PS-2-Y-Splitter-Stecker-Weiche-f-Tastatur-Maus-OVP-1x-Stecker-2x-Buchte/263110517788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by ruthan

I am talking about both at the same time. I have a schematic for my Y cable and it uses separate pins. My MA785 is a Gigabyte Motherboard, but it supports only one at a time.
It does some test during the BIOS phase and sets the PS/2 Port one way or the other.
I have had problems where it gets confused and thinks my Mouse is a Keyboard. I have to plug in a different Mouse, boot the Computer, restore the original Mouse and reboot again.

Once the 98SE install is done and on the desktop and after the internal Intel USB drivers are loaded or the NUSB you can plug the USB mouse onto it.  I would still leave the USB Keyboard -> PS/2 adapter hooked to the PS/2 port.  Once you exit to real DOS you lose access to it if you plugged it to one of the Intel USB 2.0 ports.  If you're just sticking inside 98SE and never planning to exit to real DOS then you could use the USB mouse -> PS/2 adapter to PS/2 port and hook the USB keyboard to any USB 2.0 port instead. Hooking a USB mouse to these ports before a proper USB driver or NUSB is added the USB mouse is uncontrollable moving all over the place and totally unusable at least on the Z77.  Older chipsets could have a more positive result and behave.

Been awhile since I tested 95 but I've always used a serial mouse on that OS.  Whether it works or boots with or without it would be strange that 98SE can do it but not 95?

I can't recall ever having a serial mouse not plugged in so maybe I haven't seen this error that it won't boot into 95 without one.  Does this apply to 95A, 95B, and 95C?  What about 98FE and ME?

I'm trying to think back but Windows 3.1 might have worked without a mouse but being the DOS days I've always used a mouse or had it connected and an external modem on the other port.  A lot of tabbing and arrows and enter keys to get around as those serial mouse often got dirty and tracking was frustrating.

The modern motherboards I've seen with the Com port headers are Asrock.  There might be a few Asus with these as well.  But I've only inspected the Intel MBs which seem to carry over more of the legacy stuff than the AMD ones.  Even the Z170 has it.  If you dig around their site look for the "Specifications" and under "Connector" will be listed

1 x COM Port Header

Edited by 98SE

Things are getting even more interesting (complicated)  with Y cable + PS2 switches. For example my Conroe machine need to have PS2 switch devices assigned during boot, otherwise its not working. even without Y cable..

Windows 95 checks if there is a Mouse. If none is detected, It puts up a requester dialog. If you are in the process of installing USB Drivers and are using an USB Keyboard and Mouse, you cannot answer the requester.
There is a MSDOS.SYS Option to override this.

Corrected earlier post.