Desperate to install/use Windows 7. Help

Tsundere

1 hour ago, cdob said:

Make a disk image first: Clonedisk can do this.
http://labalec.fr/erwan/?page_id=42
Do you have a WinPE available?
Backup a raw disk image.

• Ok, I will attempt to do this, I don't have a WinPE yet. Just to let you know, I've already made a windows system image and recovery drive (from hp recovery manager)

No idea, which raw image program works from a Windows 8.1 install media, shift F10 command console.
I'll search.

• Not sure what you mean, but thanks!

Do not continue Windows 7 so far. The final result is uncertain and may fail.

• So should I try it anyway after doing the backup?

Restoring Windows 8 to a clean disk is the next task.

• I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Continue Windows 7 then:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04501162
Spare part number 792785-001:
System board equipped with an Intel Celeron N2840 processor with 2 GB system memory, 32 GB eMMC hard drive,
and the Windows 7 or non-Windows operating systems (includes thermal grease and thermal pads)

Spare part number 792785-501:
System board equipped with an Intel Celeron N2840 processor with 2 GB system memory, 32 GB eMMC hard drive,
and the Windows 8.1 Standard operating system (includes thermal grease and thermal pads

• What should I do with this info? Match-up the numbers in .inf files?

49 minutes ago, Tsundere said:
2 hours ago, cdob said:

Strange still: Disk 0 29 GB 29 GB free

• Perhaps missing drivers still? Maybe those emmc drivers in boot.wim are not working properly. I think the recent success is largely due to the usb 3.0 drivers (I integrated both into boot.wim on that attempt). Would it help to put the emmc drivers into install.wim?
Edited by Tsundere

About making the RAW image, since it is only 29 Gb in size, and thus speed of the imaging program is not a problem, good ol' dsfo (from the dsfok package) should work fine (it is a tad bit on the "slow" side but as said it won't matter given the small size of the source emmc).

The issue might be whether you have an external hard disk with an NTFS volume capable of holding the whole 29 Gb file of the image (the thingy is as simple and as small as possible but it makes a RAW image, without any form of compression or compacting):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/

An alternative could be making a QuickPE (it is a PE made through a set of cmd scripts by the same Author of Clonedisk):

http://labalec.fr/erwan/?p=402

jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

About making the RAW image, since it is only 29 Gb in size, and thus speed of the imaging program is not a problem, good ol' dsfo (from the dsfok package) should work fine (it is a tad bit on the "slow" side but as said it won't matter given the small size of the source emmc).

The issue might be whether you have an external hard disk with an NTFS volume capable of holding the whole 29 Gb file of the image (the thingy is as simple and as small as possible but it makes a RAW image, without any form of compression or compacting):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/

An alternative could be making a QuickPE (it is a PE made through a set of cmd scripts by the same Author of Clonedisk):

http://labalec.fr/erwan/?p=402

jaclaz

Will the data get erased on the external disk?

No, the idea is not to make a "clone", it is to make an image.

With dsfo, the result of the procedure will be a (huge, 29 Gb, hence the NEED for NTFS) file which contains an exact byte-by-byte copy of the whole source disk.

Something *like*

dsfo \\.Physicaldriven 0 0 Z:\myniceimage.img

would do.

With Clonedisk you can do the same image or you can make a clone, in this latter case of course the target contents will be overwritten and you won't be able to access any of the preoviouis data.

Maybe you will find this relevant to better understand the terminology used:

51 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

No, the idea is not to make a "clone", it is to make an image.

With dsfo, the result of the procedure will be a (huge, 29 Gb, hence the NEED for NTFS) file which contains an exact byte-by-byte copy of the whole source disk.

Something *like*

dsfo \\.Physicaldriven 0 0 Z:\myniceimage.img

would do.

With Clonedisk you can do the same image or you can make a clone, in this latter case of course the target contents will be overwritten and you won't be able to access any of the preoviouis data.

Maybe you will find this relevant to better understand the terminology used:

I see. So a windows system image backup + recovery drive is not sufficient right?

9 hours ago, cdob said:

Strange still: Disk 0 29 GB 29 GB free
If this is the windows 8.1 UEFI disk, then diskpart should list several partitions.

Disk 0 could very well be a card reader. On some systems, card reader without media inserted can sometimes be detected and sometimes even get a drive letter. Often times I see card reader showing up, it will have the same size numbers as the USB key I use to boot.

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

Disk 0 could very well be a card reader. On some systems, card reader without media inserted can sometimes be detected and sometimes even get a drive letter. Often times I see card reader showing up, it will have the same size numbers as the USB key I use to boot.

Thanks for the explanation. This matches to the diskpart view: no partitons listed.

1 hour ago, Tsundere said:

I see. So a windows system image backup + recovery drive is not sufficient right?

Wimboot is a special feature.
I doubt windows system image, may work or fail. Or restore to a non wimboot configuration.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

Do you have another USB stick, different size, e.g. 16gb? Does Disk 0 list a 16 gb media, given a empty card reader?

Do you have a micro sd card? Can you insert the sd card? Does diskpart list the sd card?

A raw image is the basic approach. Works more likely that way.
Try dsfo, should run at a Windows 8 installation media.
And convert the image to VHD image using clonedisk.
Then mount the VHD image at Windows 8.1 disk manager.
There should be a new GPT disk with several partitions.

Added:
HP PCs - Creating WIMboot recovery media
http://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c04487758

Edited by cdob

15 hours ago, Tsundere said:

I think the recent success is largely due to the usb 3.0 drivers

Sorry for the confusion, currently both eMMC and USB 3.0 are a target.

Let's jump to USB 3.0 boot then.
I understand: the Lexar USB works, the WD USB dosn't work.
Most likely the Lexar USB is a removable disk and the WD USB a fixed disk.
Do you have another fixed USB disk?

Try another fixed USB disk. Does diskpart list this disk?
Backup the files, w'll clean the USB disk.

As for intermedia testing, you may try the Lexar USB too.
Should survive first boot.

Boot Windows 8.1,
Z:\sources\install.wim : default Windows 7 install file
C:\drivers\Win7_x86\USB3 : Windows 7 USB3 drivers

diskpart.exe

list disk
sel disk Number
detail disk
clean
create par prim
format fs ntfs quick
active
assign letter=U
exit

DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Z:\sources\install.wim /Index:3 /ApplyDir:U:\
bcdboot.exe U:\Windows /s U: /f BIOS

Dism.exe /image:U:\ /Add-Driver /driver:C:\drivers\Win7_x86\USB3 /recurse /ForceUnsigned
Dism.exe /image:U:\ /Get-Drivers /Format:Table

fix_USB3_SD.cmd U:\Windows

fix_USB3_SD.zip

14 hours ago, cdob said:

Added:
HP PCs - Creating WIMboot recovery media
http://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c04487758

Do you think this is sufficient? Do I need to still make a raw image (I need to download win8.1 iso for that right?)?

8 hours ago, cdob said:

I understand: the Lexar USB works, the WD USB dosn't work.
Most likely the Lexar USB is a removable disk and the WD USB a fixed disk.

How can you tell? I haven't really used the WD passport for anything yet, I only booted win7 from lexar (and it only started 'sort of' working after usb3.0 drivers). I have both a WD passport and WD elements, which are both fixed disks?

8 hours ago, cdob said:

Sorry for the confusion, currently both eMMC and USB 3.0 are a target.

I am confused about this confusion. I thought the target was emmc and usb 3.0 drivers helps to detect that.

Ok, I will follow all your instructions and report back

I would create a RAW image anyway. Better to be safe.

The Windows 7 diskpart did not list the WD disk.
Did you connect the WD passport at all?

A driver package to the eMMC is missing still.
So try USB first, then validate driver to the eMMC from running Windows 7.

Try install Windows 7 x86 to the USB WD elements.

23 hours ago, cdob said:

Do you have another USB stick, different size, e.g. 16gb? Does Disk 0 list a 16 gb media given a empty card reader?

I tested this with an 8gb verbatim usb pendrive and I got "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key". Strange because I used the same procedure that I used to make the lexar usb, and the lexar can still boot into win7 setup. I have the pre-slipstreamed win7 iso (that I made the other day) and used Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to burn the iso, so I don't see why it's different. They are both single partition NTFS.

Added:  It may be a defective verbatim usb from what I've read, so I'll buy another one

Edited by Tsundere

5 hours ago, Tsundere said:

So I should try to install win7 ON an external disk (wintousb?)?

Yes, Win7 on an external disk: on the USB WD Elements.

No, not wintousb: this dosn't support Intel USB 3.0 driver stack.

Follow given suggestions, especial the fix_USB3_SD.cmd command.
This set Intel USB 3.0 driver bootable stack.

On ‎9‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:16 AM, cdob said:

DISM.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Z:\sources\install.wim /Index:3 /ApplyDir:U:\
bcdboot.exe U:\Windows /s U: /f BIOS

Dism.exe /image:U:\ /Add-Driver /driver:C:\drivers\Win7_x86\USB3 /recurse /ForceUnsigned
Dism.exe /image:U:\ /Get-Drivers /Format:Table

fix_USB3_SD.cmd U:\Windows

fix_USB3_SD.zip

@cdob The apply-image command is taking too long for some reason. It takes 3 hours to reach like 10%, but the laptop crashes around then (overloaded cpu I think). Is there anyway I can work around this? Mounting is much faster (but must I unmount?). If I use my usual method of mounting-unmounting then both the boot.wim and install.wim will be included. I will try to do this on a faster pc as well

ADDED: Nvm, just realised that you said fixed disk, and I was using removeable. Disregard this post lol

Edited by Tsundere