Win 10 does not see pictures on camera (anymore)

mike13

I am running Windows 10. I "USED" to attach a cable from my Olympus SZ-31mr digital camera to my computer (USB) connection. File Explorer would recognize the camera and call it Drive F. Under that I would see, DB, under that I would see  DCIM, under that I would see 100OLYMP. if I then left clicked on  100OLYMP, I would open all the pictures that were on the memory card in the camera.  A while back I had to format the computer and reinstall everything. Now when I attach that cable, File Explorer recognizes the camera as  Drive F, as before. Then I see DB, as before, then I see DCIM as before. But that is the end. I do not see 100OLYMP like I did before. If I click on the last folder DCIM, it tells me that folder is empty. NOW...I do have an adapter, that if I take the memory card out of the camera, and then put the card into this adapter, and then plug the adapter (USB) connection to the camera, I see everything like I did before. But that is extra work and I do want to keep removing the card etc. It was so nice to just attach the cable and then see all the pictures. I have two other computer also running Windows 10, and they both work like before. It is just the computer that I formatted that does not work like it did.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks,  Mike

What you report is really strange.

I could understand if you could not see any folder in drive F: (which could be some misconfiguration related to the card format) or if you couldn't have F: at all, but you can access the top level folder and then inside it you cannot find the actual photos (files) is perplexing.

Try the following as a test.

1) on one of the Windows machines that "sees" files inside \db\dcim\100OLYMP copy to the F: drive two files (any small sized .txt file will do), one in \db\dcim\ and one in db\dc\100OLYMP\ folders

2) move the camera to the non-working machine and verify you can (or cannot) see those two files

Another thing that you can try is to clean the system from all USB devices (see here):

but it applies to different symptoms.

jaclaz