Are you going to upgrade to Windows 10 before July, 29?

Stefan43

Yes, that could grow up.  It's also possible - though it wouldn't be my preference - that Linux with a more mature WINE subsystem could do the job.

I wonder if a corporation big enough to do that and provide commercial support could be kept from turning evil...

-Noel

A brief reminder that you cant be apart of the PC master race without direct x 12 asynchronous compute rendered shaders bouncing off your eyeballs and off that new characters elegant breasts. All while livestreaming in 2k resolution in front of thousands of envious non DX12 owners waiting for vulkan to become a thing. 

@DarkKnight

Free Windows 10 will be till RS1, to get the next version will have to pay update service fee.

about how its inevitable OS, Internet explorer is good example, its become obsolete and didnt fit to UX

today chrome is mainstream, mb Android for PC by google ? will change the OS distribution ?

Microsoft doing it again apply their policy like they did with IE, updates complication decrease security  , no updates for old OS, no addon

and going with old engine, customer satisfaction will degrade, Someone else will see it as opportunity to make a slice in MS market

Edited by aviv00

I gave Windows 10 more of a try, and I do have a version of Windows 7 that would qualify for the upgrade, but I'm just not impressed with it. To me, the simplicity of the PC is going away in favor of flashy and colorful eye candy. I will continue to use my Windows 2000 machine until it no longer serves my needs. But quite honestly, why can't an OS be secure and up-to-date, but still be as simple as 98/2000/XP is?

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

But quite honestly, why can't an OS be secure and up-to-date, but still be as simple as 98/2000/XP is?

Microsoft are pandering to the masses. Technology is a part of pop culture now, and Microsoft doesn't want to be left behind. They are in the business of making money after all.

I think the fact that Windows 7 and 8 domain clients don't get the Windows 10 upgrade nagware speaks volumes. Maybe Microsoft are well aware that their business customers aren't going upgrade. Towards the end of Windows 7's life cycle we may see a new version of Windows intended for businesses and alike, deviating away from the consumer-oriented releases we've seen since 2012.

It would be foolishness for business consumers to upgrade to this "trash". As far as I'm concerned, it's designed to be kiddish feeling. But I want an OS that works, and works right, and is as simple as possible. But that's just my two cents on the matter. I think it's time to go back to Home Edition/Professional and drop all this other silly nonsense in-between versions.

7 hours ago, aviv00 said:

Free Windows 10 will be till RS1, to get the next version will have to pay update service fee.

If that's a guess or personal prediction of the future, I suggest you present it as such.

If not, please provide a source for the info.

-Noel

What is RS1? Anniversary Update comes out on August 2 and the free upgrade period ends July 29. We will have to wait to see if some update comes out July 30 to remove the GWX stuff... but I suspect that instead there will be changes made where you could pay for Windows 10 right there.

20 hours ago, NoelC said:

please provide a source for the info.

i found website that said

RS1 gonna be free for who upgrade his windows to win10

so i assume after this release its gonna cost fee, looks like change to service fee , don't think its relate to who bought full version

A request to "please provide a source" implies more than the answer "I found it online", because we know that not everything you read on the Internet is true.  Your statement, couching it as fact, just adds to the FUD.

You're implying that further updates on a given system will cost money.  That flies in the face of Microsoft's direct statement that a system that has been upgraded to Windows 10 will receive updates for free for the usable life of the device.  I (and others I'm sure) would very much like to know it if a reputable source has made a statement that negates that direct statement.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Yet another reason that I cannot / will not "up"grade to Windows 10:  Loss of essential display functionality.  Indirectly in this case.

Details:

I have a good, powerful graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 7850.  It's not new tech any more, but it supports my 3 monitors very nicely.

Presently, using ATI Crimson 16.3.2 drivers on Win 8.1, I have set my system up to be an sRGB reference system, which I need to do to support my development work.  In a nutshell, what this means is that all my monitors are set to output in the standard sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, I have set tha profile to be associated with each in Windows, and I have fine tuned the output of the various graphics card ports so that the monitors are all well-calibrated and match one another, color-wise.  The perfection of this match cannot be set entirely with the on-monitor controls.

ThreeMonitorsMatch.jpg

Not long ago ATI decided they would just drop a feature I rely upon:  The ability to manually calibrate the output at the various ports.  As of Crimson 16.5, the per-desktop, per-channel calibration I rely upon, shown below, is simply no longer available.  Thus I can no longer keep current with ATI drivers.

DesktopColor.png

If I were to adopt Win 10 I would, before long, be unable to hold back and run the older ATI display driver I need that provides this feature.  It may even be that right now I would not be able to specifically run version 16.3 of the Crimson drivers.  After all, that release is already 4 months old.

Put another way, "up"grading to Windows 10 would ensure that ultimately I would lose a function I need and already have, without any viable workaround.

No thanks.  I require function over fluff.

It's not just theory.  The progressive loss of functionality with Windows 10 is real, planned, and sooner or later it WILL be a function we actually rely upon.  I've already identified that function in my case.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

2 hours ago, NoelC said:

If I were to adopt Win 10 I would, before long, be unable to hold back and run the older ATI display driver I need that provides this feature.  It may even be that right now I would not be able to specifically run version 16.3 of the Crimson drivers.  After all, that release is already 4 months old.

Put another way, "up"grading to Windows 10 would ensure that ultimately I would lose a function I need and already have, without any viable workaround.

No thanks.  I require function over fluff.

It's not just theory.  The progressive loss of functionality with Windows 10 is real, planned, and sooner or later it WILL be a function we actually rely upon.  I've already identified that function in my case.

-Noel

solution to that problem is simple: If it is broken, find a replacement. If you cant find replacement that you like, then write one.

Yes, just what I want to have to do to use the amazing new Windows 10 - write my own display driver software.

Have you noticed that the ATI display driver package is 300 megabytes+ in size?

Heck, that's just a few nights work to replace, right?

-Noel