Are you going to upgrade to Windows 10 before July, 29?

Stefan43

Like it or hate it eventually you will have to use it ...... it's inevitable.

If you really don't like Windows 10 and you are eligible for the upgrade, the biggest favor you can do for yourself is upgrade, activate it then roll back to your previous OS, this will guarentee that when you finally do switch to Windows 10 whether it be tomorrow or five years from now, provided you upgrade on the same system Windows 10 will always be free for you.

IF YOU DON'T .........

Windows 10 will be $199 for you ........ think about it.

Seems all the 10 haters here have a decision to make and lets see ........... you have approximately 1 month and 1 day and 8 hours left to make that decision before Windows 10 becomes a PAID os permanently.

I have Windows 7 computers that I have upgraded and rolled back, simply because I still like Windows 7 and am unwilling to part with it right now but I also realize there will come a time that Windows 10 will be it, there will be no other supported Windows OS, as much as I like it, like XP Windows 7's life is very limited and there WILL come a time when it will be unsafe to run it on the internet, software will no longer be made for it, Microsoft will no longer support and patch it making it an easy target for exploits and such.

So go ahead and bash 10 all you want, sooner or later you WILL be using it.

OR

You can go buy yourself an over priced Mac.

Edited by DarkKnight

I guess the price isn't certain - though yours is as good a guess as any.

I've secured a license for my remaining Win 7 system.  Did that around the time of the release of build 10240.  But it will remain running Win 7 indefinitely.

Not going to bother for my main Win 8.1 workstation.  Frankly,  even though I'm confident I could roll it back just the downtime from screwing around to just secure a "free" license I *may* choose to use in the future just isn't worth it to me.  And of source the future outlook for a Win 8.1 system is a little brighter for a Win 8.1 system than Win 7.  Same approach I took with Win 8.0 and I don't regret it even though I finally moved up to 8.1 when it came out.

We can only HOPE that it will come to pass that Win 10 will ultimately have enough value that we'll all want to upgrade to it "whether it be tomorrow or five years from now".  I personally haven't seen enough evidence so far to think that it's inevitable, though.  Not yet.

I am going to reserve my final decision until I see what Redstone 1 looks like in released trim.  Based on the pre-release software builds I'm pretty sure my point of view won't change.  If they don't manage to release it prior to the drop dead date, oh well.

EDIT:  I have just learned that the anniversary release is likely to be in early August (owing to a "mistakenly" leaked Microsoft blog post).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have just learned that the official release date for the aniversay update will be Aug. 2, 2016, here : Microsoft accidently reveals Windows 10 Anniversary Update release date

This does not mean anythting to anyone getting their upgrade for free because the anniversay date for the original Windows 10 release was July 29, 2015, so if you are not upgraded by July 29, 2016 you will have to pay for Windows 10 in order to receive the Anniversay Update.

You can now also decline the Windows 10 Upgrade ........You can now Decline the Windows 10 Upgrade Free Offer

Edited by DarkKnight

And for those who were hoping to have a look at what's actually in the anniversary update before making the decision to upgrade?  Zzzzt.  Fail.

Clearly Microsoft doesn't want people looking.  They're not proud of what's in there.  Instead they want people basing their decision on 10586.420.  Why?  IMO because 10586 has been stable now for the longest time of any Win 10 release.  People WANT stability.  People WANT a system they can mold to their needs, without the legs of the chair being kicked out from under them.

-Noel

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, DarkKnight said:

Like it or hate it eventually you will have to use it ...... it's inevitable.

That sentence just lacks "Mr. Anderson" at the end:

1502453.jpg

So allow me to quote Mr. Anderson:

Edited by Tommy
Vulgar image removed - Tommy

No I don't see why I should punish myself and downgrade to Bob 10, the worst Windows ever! I only moved to Windows 7 after almost every single feature I missed from XP was somehow restored to it by third party apps. Ditto for Bob 8.1 - after I could mould it to make it work like XP/Win7, I moved to it. Bob 10 cannot be modified to make it work the way you want and it has no feature that would make me downgrade to it either. Even Bob 8.1 has some genuine reasons: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175753-hardware-reasons-to-upgrade/ but Bob 10 has NOTHING. Zilch. It is indeed as one MSFN threads says the "Worst crap ever". :P

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, xpclient said:

No I don't see why I should punish myself and downgrade to Bob 10, the worst Windows ever! I only moved to Windows 7 after almost every single feature I missed from XP was somehow restored to it by third party apps. Ditto for Bob 8.1 - after I could mould it to make it work like XP/Win7, I moved to it. Bob 10 cannot be modified to make it work the way you want and it has no feature that would make me downgrade to it either. Even Bob 8.1 has some genuine reasons: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175753-hardware-reasons-to-upgrade/ but Bob 10 has NOTHING. Zilch. It is indeed as one MSFN threads says the "Worst crap ever". :P

Ok then, so when you have no other choice but to use "Bob 10" or "Bob 10" starts to look appealing to you, don't complain when you have to shell out $200 for it.

1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

....don't complain when you have to shell out $200 for it.

I haven't had to shell out money for Windows ever since I started using it and activation was introduced in XP. Mostly I got free genuine licenses during promotions but I know a trick to activate Windows and pass all genuine Windows checks without any patches or cracks. It has worked since activation was introduced.

Works differently for consumer editions and Enterprise whose licensing is different.

Edited by xpclient

6 minutes ago, xpclient said:

I haven't had to shell out money for Windows ever since I started using it and activation was introduced in XP. Mostly I got free genuine licenses during promotions but I know a trick to activate Windows and pass all genuine Windows checks without any patches or cracks. It has worked since activation was introduced.

I would ask you what trick did you use, but that would probably get us both banned from the forums :ph34r:

On 29 May 2016 at 10:51 AM, Dibya said:

I use many modified Systemfiles to improve cleartype font optimization

I'm wondering exactly what kind of benefit that has. I use the Windows XP Cleartype Tuner to tweak the font rendering. If set to use the "heaviest" rendering, I find that XP Cleartype looks no different to that of Windows 7.

Since we're on the subject of ClearType...

The ClearType Tuner doesn't work properly on a multi-monitor system since Windows 8.

I have two monitors on the side turned up sideways and that works great except that it's impossible to tune ClearType on the side monitors to avoid doing color subsampling.  So in a fashion, Internet Explorer's lack of color subsampling is actually better for my side monitors.  Kind of a funny twist of fate when two bugs cancel eachother out.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

9 hours ago, MrMaguire said:

I'm wondering exactly what kind of benefit that has. I use the Windows XP Cleartype Tuner to tweak the font rendering. If set to use the "heaviest" rendering, I find that XP Cleartype looks no different to that of Windows 7.

Hey Dude i use both cleartune for xp and auto tune service from win8.1

3 hours ago, NoelC said:

Since we're on the subject of ClearType...

The ClearType Tuner doesn't work properly on a multi-monitor system since Windows 8.

I have two monitors on the side turned up sideways and that works great except that it's impossible to tune ClearType on the side monitors to avoid doing color subsampling.  So in a fashion, Internet Explorer's lack of color subsampling is actually better for my side monitors.  Kind of a funny twist of fate when two bugs cancel eachother out.

-Noel

Exactly same problem faced by me under 8.1

I have two monitor one 1920x1080 and one 4k on single pc . (Intel Core i7 6700k)

Currently it has XPx86(PAE) and XPx64 , ArchLinux in multiboot

On 6/28/2016 at 4:21 PM, NoelC said:

I guess the price isn't certain - though yours is as good a guess as any.

I've secured a license for my remaining Win 7 system.  Did that around the time of the release of build 10240.  But it will remain running Win 7 indefinitely.

Not going to bother for my main Win 8.1 workstation.  Frankly,  even though I'm confident I could roll it back just the downtime from screwing around to just secure a "free" license I *may* choose to use in the future just isn't worth it to me.  And of source the future outlook for a Win 8.1 system is a little brighter for a Win 8.1 system than Win 7.  Same approach I took with Win 8.0 and I don't regret it even though I finally moved up to 8.1 when it came out.

-Noel

Here's the other thing.  That upgrade is only good for the device you're activating it on, for the life of the device.  So if you hustle to upgrade, and then don't use Windows 10 for say, five years, but meanwhile that old PC or notebook breaks down, you need to buy it.

:(

So far the most compelling argument overall to "upgrade" is this, based on history:

If you want to stay in the thick of things, keeping current has numerous if intangible advantages.

If keeping up with the technology is important to you - be it for business or personal reasons - temporarily holding back works as long as ultimately you do finally upgrade.  However, swimming against the current WILL prove tiring.  That being said, I can imagine - given the popularity of Windows 7 - that there will be a real following for Windows 7 who want to keep it viable for a long, long time.

And of course it's never a black and white situation.  You might choose, for example, to run Windows 10 on some systems, 8.1 on others, and 7 on still others.  It needs to be whatever makes sense - regardless of what Microsoft wants you to do.

I guess it's too much to hope for that everything new offers more value than everything it replaces.  Those days seem over.

History has shown us that to ultimately remain in business, the OS vendor has to sooner or later deliver value, or be brushed aside.  Microsoft has built up such a legacy and market that it has the luxury of screwing up literally for years and still survive.  But that won't keep.  Sooner or later the rubber will have to meet the road and things will have to get better.  Or another company will come along and eat Microsoft's lunch.

Frankly I'm surprised that it hasn't happened already.  I see no reason why an OS that truly provides Win32 compatibility and a solid, serious computing experience can't be developed.  THAT would then be the way forward for all who need serious computing, vs. fun 'n games.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

25 minutes ago, NoelC said:

I see no reason why an OS that truly provides Win32 compatibility and a solid, serious computing experience can't be developed.  

-Noel

Something like ReactOS?...