Monitor stays in suspend/standby mode

klerg

Hello

I have a Compaq Evo D510 CMT w/1 GB DDR RAM on Windows 98 SE, and an MSI Nvidia Geforce 6200 256 MB AGP graphics board, this is a link to it. Without graphic drivers installed, the monitor goes and wakes up from suspend mode fine. However, if I install the graphic drivers, then monitor remains black when awakened from standby.  For me, that rules out the RAM  as the culprit. I've installed ALL versions of the drivers from Nvidia's 9x site here. By the way, only 77.72 and above support this card. I have an LCD monitor it is LG L206W, and is connected via VGA D-Sub port. I noticed only with the 77.72 driver it detects a 'Default Monitor' in addition to 'L206W'. Not sure if upgrading to Windows Me would fix this. No clue what else to try, some help would be great.

Thanks a lot

i also experienced this issue with 5600 ultra and 7600 GT. after installing the drivers, the monitor stays in suspended mode, and have to force shutdown the PC, then it goes away. 

Probably upgrading to ME will not solve this problem. Search for Standby or Hibernate here in this forum, if the Search Box still exists since forums upgrade. You'll find a lot of topics about standby problems. Maybe you find a solution. Changing BIOS settings could help. Standby problems occur very often on 9x and ME after graphics driver installation . I always shutdown my PC's with about three clicks and standby is set to never.

Yes, a force shutdown is the only way to get monitor back on, but it's just a temporary fix until the next time it enters suspend mode.  The search function on this forum works, but the terms standby and hibernate did not yield useful results. Not sure what BIOS Settings to change, but will try a few and see what happens. Will take a look at this program, but it seems to not support suspend or standby. I did install Unofficial NVIDIA 82.69 drivers, available here, but monitor still does not wake and it limits resolution to 720 x 576. So, I will be deleting it soon.

It's quite unusual that the 'Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)' can wake up monitor from standby, yet the NVIDIA driver refuses to do so. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the issue is? I think it may have something to do with dual monitors, because the Standard VGA Graphics adapter detects one monitor, but the NVIDIA drivers insist on being two. I'm sure if Windows 98 can support USB Flash drives and what not then waking the monitor from suspend mode should not be this difficult.   I really appreciate the help. In the mean time, my monitor will be set to never turn off for now.

Display Properties->Settings->Advanced...->Monitor->Options:
[ v' ] Reset display on suspend/resume.
"Specifies whether you want Windows to reset the display after you put your computer in Suspend mode and then resume activity.
Most display adapters cause the screen to flash while the monitor is being reset. You may be able to avoid the flashing by clicking to clear this check box. However, some adapters require the check box to be selected to work properly."

Unfortunately, turning this setting off made matters worse. When this was checked,  the monitor would wake to a black screen, now it stays in suspend/standby mode. I know it's still in standby because the power LED on monitor is amber, while before it changed to blue (On). I'll try to change some BIOS settings, and report back only if they fix anything, but I doubt that.

Edited by klerg

I've had similar problems in the past. Getting standby to work properly in Windows 98 can be a pain. It could be something unrelated to the graphics driver, or something causing Windows to lock up when you wake it from standby before it has a chance to turn on the monitor. Try dropping the RAM down to 512 MB and see if that makes a difference. Do you have the latest BIOS update?

Hi,

i have the same problem, on all my machines, once the nvidia driver is up. With my ATI 9700 Pro, no such problem, though.

In consequence, I did rule out any kind of "suspend" or screen-blanking on the nvidia machines.

And as i usually turn off the computer once done with my stuff, it's not a big deal regarding waste of energy.

Cheers, Ragnar G.D.