Convenience rollup update for Win 7 SP1

alacran

End of support/life date doesn't mean anything to me. I still run Windows 98 and XP computers personally.

End of sale means that my day-to-day work with the OS is going to stop. Windows 7 will go away for me, work-wise, in around 6 months or so unless something changes.

New win7 update package? NO WAY!  Let me tell you guys how I got a practically new computer over the weekend-I was talking to my grandmother who mentioned to me she had just bought a brand new system (with Win 10 :puke:) to replace her old one that wasn't working properly.  She knows I love collecting computer parts so she offered me the old system which I was happy to accept, a practically new looking Dell Inspiron system.  I got the thing home and tried to start it, only to see the windows 10 logo on screen and nothing else, no activity, nothing at all-the hard drive was a brick, apparently a victim of an automatic upgrade.

When I broke out my dell win7 installation disk I got from ebay a while back, it couldn't even detect the drive for installation.  I ended up swapping the original hd for a western digital drive I had in my old homebuilt system I'm not using and tried to reinstall again-success!  Now I have a practically new computer which is my first to have more than 4 gigs of ram (6 ddr3 ram at the moment).

Of course the first thing I did before going online was to turn updates off!  If this leaves me security holes, I have a firewall, antivirus, etc-I'll take my chances alone rather than with MS!

Edited by OldSchool38

The incorrect size SP1 appears because the OS is missing a pre-requisite. What that kb is, I have only determined by process of elimination. In other words, it is too much work for me to bother with, because the update that makes it go away can be different.

On 6/5/2016 at 1:59 PM, wiktorynka said:

After installing convenience rollup offered fragment SP1. What is this component? What is his number KB?

image.jpg

I had the same result. I started with a windows 7 x64 sp1 iso. I slipstream 'sp2' with ntlite. After a full install I see kb976932, I try to install it and it took a couple of seconds, so it was really small 9,1 mb max. It almost seem like it did not donwnload at all.

I've just taken a new install of Win-7 Ultimate SP1 (32-bit), applied the convenience rollup 3125574 offline install (after first installing something else that was needed, a servicing stack update 3020369) and the rollup shows in the install list - but NOT all the individual KB's that's contained in the rollup.  So that kinda sucks.  I've tried several ways to get an installed-update list, but they all just show 3125574 and not all the individual updates it contains.

Even with this rollup installed, an on-line update session shows that there are 70-80 important updates available.  Has there been that many since this package was created?  Only 1 or 2 months ago?

My primary question is, can the large offline install file for 3125574 be unpacked and all individual kb's accessible?  I've tried 7zip and winrar on an XP machine but that doesn't work.

The individuals kb did not list on my x64 windows neither. I did not had 70-80 importants KB remaining, more like 25.

Here something I found on MS site:

We intentionally did not include any specific post-Service Pack 1 updates in convenience rollup 3125574 for which the following conditions are true:

They don’t have broad applicability.

They introduce behavior changes.

They require additional user actions, such as making registry settings.

You may download and install such fixes manually after you determine whether they apply to your deployment scenarios. Specifically, the following fixes are not included in this convenience rollup:

2620264 You cannot start any RemoteApp applications through a Windows Server 2008-based or later Terminal Server or RD Gateway
2646060 An update that selectively disables the Core Parking feature in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available
2647954 The PIN dialog box does not appear or you are presented with all the certificates in the store when you try to access a WebDAV server in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2
2663685 Changes that are not replicated to a downstream server are lost on the upstream server after an automatic recovery process occurs in a DFS Replication environment in Windows Server 2008 R2
2695321 IPsec session takes 5 to 6 minutes to connect to a storage controller on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2
2727994 You cannot open or save Office 2010 documents on a WebDAV file server on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
2728738 You experience a long logon time when you try to log on to a Windows 7-based or a Windows Server 2008 R2-based client computer that uses roaming profiles
2750841 An IPv6 readiness update is available for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2
2752259 An update that improves the performance of the Printbrm.exe command-line tool in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 is available
2891144 Application does not draw polylines correctly when you run it through an RD Session in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
2898851 Description of the security update for the .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1: May 13, 2014
2907020 "Location is not available" error when you access a mapped network drive after Windows standby or resume
2918833 Third-party IMEs give users unprotected access to your Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based system
2923766 Black screen when you plug in a monitor on a computer or open a lid of a laptop that is running in Windows
2925489 You cannot establish an IPsec connection with certain third-party devices in Windows
2990184 A FIPS-compliant recovery password cannot be saved to AD DS for BitLocker in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
2781512 - WinRM operations to Hyper-V fail on a Windows 7 SP1-based or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computer that has Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed
2823180 - Update is available for Windows Management Framework 3.0 in Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, or Windows Server 2008 SP2
2802886 - You cannot register an SPN from a Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012-based client computer in a disjoint namespace
2842230 - "Out of memory" error on a computer that has a customized MaxMemoryPerShellMB quota set and has WMF 3.0 installed
2887064 - The Start-Process cmdlet ignores the "-Wait" parameter when the cmdlet is started remotely on a Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, or Windows Server 2008 SP2 computer that has Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed
2889748 - High memory usage by the Svchost.exe process after you install Windows Management Framework 3.0 on a Windows-based computer
2830615 - $MyInvocation.MyCommand object is set to null when you run the script by using PowerShell 3.0 in Windows 8 or in Windows Server 2012

This convenience rollup also does not include any of the servicing updates for Internet Explorer. If you require the servicing updates for Internet Explorer, download and install the latest Security update for Internet Explorer.

source:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/3125574

Correct me if I'm wrong here (or tell me which items are right or wrong).  This concerns the creation of a win-7 installation image.

1) The 3125574 roll-up *does* contain either unwanted telemetry KB's, unwanted Win-10 migration stuff, or both.

2) There are no tools or methods to extract all desirable components from the roll-up and integrate them directly into an install image created by, say, NTlite/Nlite

3)  MS's Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is (or is not?) capable of directly taking the 3125574 roll-up and selectively de-selecting unwanted items to create the desired win-7 install image, but DISM is a bear to learn how to install and use.

4) The 3125574 roll-up does (or does not) contain hot patches or fixes that are (or not) otherwise easily (or publically) available.

5) The continued use of NTlite/Nlite and the manual downloading of individual KB installation files remains the only practical way to create an up-to-date installation image of Win-7.

4 is false

5 is easy, use WUD

doing manual is always better than just downloading a "pack"
that way you can ditch the unwanted KB's and there are plenty of them, since some are defected and corrupt OS

1) Yes

2) You can integrate each sub-package .mum manually to avoid components, but that's an almost impossible mession due the large number of those packages
the easier way would be by integrating the whole rollup, then use install_wim_tweak.exe to remove unwanted sub-packages

3) No, but as in 2, dism can integrate individual sub-packages

4) The rollup contain all hotfixes, except the ones listed in KB article as excluded
p.s. 1500 update included:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yongrhee/2016/05/20/enterprise-convenience-rollup-update-ii-2-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1/

5) With or without the rollup are practical

For anyone who's interested, I wrote: How to make an updated ISO with Windows 7 SP2 Convenience Rollup so Windows Update works It is nothing special, just info I got thanks to the user abbodi1406. :) If you do a clean install with just a few more updates besides Convenience Rollup, it doesn't break WU.

As for the controversial KBs included in Convenience Rollup, there are no KB to upgrade to Windows 10 in the CR. There are *some* telemetry updates but if you turn off Customer Experience Improvement Program (Type: ceip into the Start menu and choose "No, I don't want to participate") then there should be no more telemetry issues on Windows 7.

Edited by xpclient

Nice :), though personally I am not going to believe that ALL the updates listed in your point #5 are actually needed to have Windows Update working.

It would make no sense whatever and - no matter how stupid is the update system and how much lazy and demented have the good MS guys become - it would be IMHO just too much that (say) KB3064209 (Intel CPU microcode update) is connected to slow Windows Update (I mean, what if I have an AMD processor?).

Seemingly the actual cause (and the corresponding fixes/updates needed) is still to be found :(, it is however good to know that by integrating that long list of MSU's Windows Update works again :thumbup .

jaclaz