Random software installers not opening?

Hello, I have another problem, my Windows Vista laptop is having a rather high rate of failure to open installers. This issue has prevented me from installing a lot of software like Adobe Reader, Cyberfox, Vivaldi browser, and the list goes on. Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I am running Vista x64...I would run Windows XP if possible, but its not supported, Vista itself isn't officially supported either but works anyway with Windows 7 drivers. I had to use Vista over 7 because 7 wouldn't properly function and was even SLOWER than Vista and its own display driver wouldn't properly work or something, preventing aero from working.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

What versions of these pieces of software are you attempting to install? Adobe Reader hasn't supported Vista since version XI, so Reader DC will fail to install on it. Cyberfox recently stopped supporting Windows XP and Vista according to their site, but I am unsure exactly which version is the last one that works (EDIT: Their site says Vista and XP are unsupported, but I just ran the installer in Vista compatibility mode on Windows 7, it ran without issues, so perhaps it still works on Vista. When I get access to a Vista machine, I'll test it again and come back with results). Vivaldi 1.0 is the last version that will run on Vista, too. 

If you are trying to install Vista-compatible versions of the software, it may be blocked from running by default. Normally a dialogue box is supposed to appear to ask if you're sure you want to run the software, but I've had it refuse to run entirely before from time to time. To fix this:

1. Right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and select Properties.

2. Select the General tab of the file's properties sheet.

3. Click the Unblock button and then click OK.

Edited by 2008WindowsVista

2 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

What versions of these pieces of software are you attempting to install? Adobe Reader hasn't supported Vista since version XI, so Reader DC will fail to install on it. Cyberfox recently stopped supporting Windows XP and Vista according to their site, but I am unsure exactly which version is the last one that works (EDIT: Their site says Vista and XP are unsupported, but I just ran the installer in Vista compatibility mode on Windows 7, it ran without issues, so perhaps it still works on Vista. When I get access to a Vista machine, I'll test it again and come back with results). Vivaldi 1.0 is the last version that will run on Vista, too. 

If you are trying to install Vista-compatible versions of the software, it may be blocked from running by default. Normally a dialogue box is supposed to appear to ask if you're sure you want to run the software, but I've had it refuse to run entirely before from time to time. To fix this:

1. Right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and select Properties.

2. Select the General tab of the file's properties sheet.

3. Click the Unblock button and then click OK.

Thank you so much! I've tried to search this issue but no one was mentioning an answer (I feel so dumb right now). You should add Vivaldi on the last versions of software for Windows Vista as well, I'm so darn disappointed Vivaldi doesn't support Vista!!! Its basically the same as 7!!!

I can confirm that Cyberfox does work on Vista! (64bit AMD version)

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

15 hours ago, ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~ said:

Thank you so much! I've tried to search this issue but no one was mentioning an answer (I feel so dumb right now). You should add Vivaldi on the last versions of software for Windows Vista as well, I'm so darn disappointed Vivaldi doesn't support Vista!!! Its basically the same as 7!!!

I can confirm that Cyberfox does work on Vista! (64bit AMD version)

No problem, glad I could help. Good to know Cyberfox still works. Let me make sure of the absolute final version of Vivaldi for Vista, and I will add it to the list (EDIT: Vivaldi 1.0 stable is now added to the list). 

If you want a good Chromium based browser that supports Vista, I recommend Slimjet. They recently announced on their Facebook page that they can easily continue supporting Vista, XP too (but with a bit more work compared to Vista).

Edited by 2008WindowsVista