Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

Here it is mentioned videos around those length fails if you are blocking some google domains (I suppose after all that time they feel authorized to show you some ad). Otherwise on page 22 of this thread, some dude was talking about disabling webm support.

There's no reason minute 999 should be heavier than minute 2 then.

p.s. it's not like firefox html5 hardware acceleration had ever been working on any Windows before 7 anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange but it is OK now and there is no BSOD C2 (without Primetime or when installed). To be sure - I restored the system from the image and installed Firefox 52.9.0 ESR
Next strange thing - now YT works without the Primetime plugin :dubbio:I'm sure that on Saturday morning (April 4, 2020) YT did not work without Primetime and there was an error that Firefox does not support HTML5. BSOD C2 was also then.

P.S. They make some changes on YT. I noticed that now 720p quality is no longer marked as HD - there is no red HD stamp:

720p_HD_2019.png

• 5 months later...

Does H264 still work with this method?
I have tried both on Firefox 49 and on Firefox 52 ESR and it does not work for me on the test page
https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html
On Firefox 52 ESR it doesn't install and on Firefox 49 In the plugin the message "Adobe Primetime will be installed shortly" appears continuously.

Edited by Cixert

7 hours ago, Cixert said:

it does not work for me on the test page
https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

That test page is no longer valid, as pointed out by its webmaster himself:

Test cases

Test cases have been removed at the request of my ISP; they were taking up WAY too much bandwidth.

(and IIRC, that matter has been reported in detail previously in this thread; I just don't have the time at this moment to find that post...) Just use another test page to verify h.264 browser support... 

7 hours ago, Cixert said:

On Firefox 52 ESR it doesn't install and on Firefox 49 In the plugin the message "Adobe Primetime will be installed shortly" appears continuously.

I don't think the CDM is downloaded automatically anymore, one has to download and install manually; some differences may be present between Fx 49 & Fx 52; just consult again, being perhaps more attentive, first post of this thread... Others may chime in with more current details, if any... ;)

WS98nEn.jpg

The next day it was perfectly installed in Firefox 49 without doing anything else.

Test pages:
https://html5test.com/
https://tekeye.uk/html/html5-video-test-page
(Netflix continues to work only with Silverlight enabled)

Edit:
I keep not getting it in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR
I'll turn on the computer tomorrow, let's see if it works ... :rolleyes:
Today it does not appear in the plugins list as in Firefox 49

Edited by Cixert

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been almost 2 months, I get to install Adobe Primetime on Firefox 52 ESR but in the plugins list the message "Adobe Primetime will be installed shortly" appears continuously.
Any ideas to activate it and remove the message?

Edited by Cixert

8 hours ago, Cixert said:

There is an instruction in 1 post of the theme how to install it manually.

On 5/11/2016 at 11:02 PM, mixit said:

To manually install the actual Primetime plugin software, first download the ZIP package (backup link)

On 5/11/2016 at 11:02 PM, mixit said:

To install the plugin:

1. Open your FF profile folder. An easy way to navigate to it is by opening about:support in FF and clicking the Open Folder button next to Profile Folder.
  2. Inside the profile folder, create subfolder gmp-eme-adobe and open it.
  3. Inside gmp-eme-adobe, create subfolder 17 and open it.
  4. Unpack the Primetime ZIP archive into folder 17.
  5. Folder [your FF profile path]\gmp-eme-adobe\17 should now contain three files: eme-adobe.dll, eme-adobe.info, eme-adobe.voucher.

10 hours ago, Cixert said:

Well, it's been almost 2 months, I get to install Adobe Primetime on Firefox 52 ESR but in the plugins list the message "Adobe Primetime will be installed shortly" appears continuously.

All of my installs behaved the same.  I can't remember the solution, but it was simple.  I think I clicked "Options" on the Primetime plugin and then clicked "Check for Updates" from the Tools dropdown.  It's possible I also turned Automatic Updates on and then back to Default, but I'm not sure about that.

11 hours ago, Cixert said:

Despite the fact that it is deemed unnecessary in the main instructions, and that other members here report success without this step, I have always had to include it to get this working on systems that I have set up:

On 8/5/2017 at 12:44 AM, LoneCrusader said:

I just went through this same problem on a machine I built for someone else. I kept getting the "will be installed shortly" message until I manually set 51.0 in the %VERSION% section of the update URL and manually forced it to check for updates. Then it magically decided that it would work...:wacko:

On 11/15/2020 at 8:03 AM, LoneCrusader said:

Despite the fact that it is deemed unnecessary in the main instructions, and that other members here report success without this step, I have always had to include it to get this working on systems that I have set up:

uhjuju!

Thank you very much, it has worked!
What would be of us without this magnificent forum!

about:config
media.gmp-manager.url
https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml

Replace %VERSION% by 51.0 leaving it like this...

https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/update.xml

Go to Tools + Add-ons + Plugins
In the Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated go to options.
On automatic updates mark no.
Exit the plugin menu and re-enter.
Now next to "no" appears "check for updates".
Press and the problem is solved.

Edited by Cixert
solved URL error