Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

• 4 months later...

Woo, a bunch of message disappeared.

Anyway, a strange finding, the videos on this site do NOT exhibit the issue.

At the 25 minutes mark, there's a slight hiccup where the video usually freezes, but in this case the video resumes on its own and playback continues as if nothing happened. 

I experience the issue everywhere else, even on youtube. :/

For me this isn't working on Firefox 52.8.1 and the settings:
"media.gmp-eme-adobe.version",
"media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi",
"media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate"
are also being removed on every Firefox launch.

Edited by Mike86

It remains working for me as always. Notice that when FF deletes those configurations it usually also deletes the files needed to get that working. Please recheck all that, in accordance with the 1st post. And don't forget to set media.eme.enabled true.

Okay it's working now.
it wasn't a good idea to Copy/Paste this settings from the forum directly into Firefox, because it has copied some strange symbols into the Firefox config file. That's way it didn't work.

Here is also a automated script that will do this stuff for every new created Firefox profile.
https://www60.zippyshare.com/v/R3Fek0SI/file.html

Edited by Mike86

I am able to play it with sound on Serpent 2018.05.25, but I use the Adobe Systems Primetime Content Decryption Module also on Serpent. And all twitter videos appear with sound turned off by default for me, both on Serpent 2018.05.25 and on FF 52.8.1 esr, so that, if I want sound, I must turn it on explicitly, in the player window.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I using this tweak one year with Firefox ESR 52. And it works! But i have a question. I noticed that version of OpenH264 plugin with this tweak is 1.6

But on their website there is link to github where is information that version 1.8.0 is present now. Is it possible to update to this more recent version for us - users of Firefox on Win XP ?

Edited by Rod Steel

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 7:00 PM, slayer1994 said:

Do the lives on youtube work for you?

Yes, but every 23 minutes picture (but not sound) freeze and i should click button "Live" near youtube volume regulator to unfreeze picture.

Currently i use 52.9.0.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou very much for these precise and detailed instructions!

Now tvthek.orf.at works and so do the clips on www.tumbler.com  ;)

I would like to add that one should FIRST carry out the instructions for the folder "17" and put the 3 files into it  etc.

BEFORE doing the steps in "about:config" - or you will end up going through and checking the "about:config" items, three of which will have

mysteriously disappeared!  But on all accounts DO go through the "about:config" values, easily verified by entering

"gmp.eme" into the "search" bar just under the top. If one is missing, just add it again!

You might find a boolean one that has gone from "true" to "false"

If you find a red triangle above the  in the list of plugins above the "Primetime Content ........." but all is properly done, just wait 5 minutes.

Perfect solution - just work meticulously ;)   ;)  I´m very happy ;)

On 8/1/2017 at 9:09 PM, Tomcat76 said:

Firefox 34 is the most recent version that will work acceptably on my computer.  It is still tamed down with Memory Fox and various other memory controlling about:config changes, which make a huge difference.  It's still leaking, but I can at least browse a little longer.  Some time ago, I did an extensive test with many different FF versions and the problems with FF35 and later are too big.

May I ask how many tabs do you open simultaneously? Because I have no memory controlling tweaks, and FF 42 still works great for me (well, on sites that support it, FF 42 does not have ES6 support, as you probably know).

But I rarely use more than 3-4 tabs at once...

On 1/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, Andreasmir said:

Yes. It works. I have Firefox ESR 52.6 and Windows XP x64. YouTube works up to 8K. But having problem with CPU 90% load when play 4K+ videos even with my i7-2600K and GTX960, no hardware acceleration :(

Do you need the latest available build? For me hardware acceleration seems to work fine with Firefox 47.0 on Win XP SP3 x86. But in this version some sites look bad and don't work as they should work - Twitch, for example.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:19 PM, Alex654 said:

For me hardware acceleration seems to work fine with Firefox 47.0 on Win XP SP3 x86.

Are you sure? How do you know with certainty that hardware acceleration of h264 works in Firefox 47.0 on Win XP SP3 x86 ?