Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

@DrWho3000: This is the setting you've missed:

On 3/25/2017 at 2:40 PM, mixit said:

Since you didn't have Primetime installed before, don't forget to edit media.gmp-manager.url and replace the %VERSION% part with 51.0. This was mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread, but since I've been lazy, I hadn't yet added it to the opening post by the time you first read it.

I was alerted to the unfortunate fact that the Primetime plugin package is no longer downloadable from Adobe servers. This means that from now on the plugin can't be installed via Firefox GUI alone. Since Mozilla had warned about this removal, our friend @sdfox7has saved a copy of Primetime in his XP software archive, so people can still get the plugin from there and install it manually. I've updated the OP with instructions for manual install. The DL link is also there.

Edited by mixit

Thanks for the heads up. I already had a copy saved, just in case I ever need to reinstall it, but good to know that it's still available somewhere else if I ever lose it!
:yes:

I am glad I archived it when I did.

Since I am the only source on the web, effective immediately I have archived my own link, in case something happens to my server:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170718145441/http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

I find it odd that I am the only source on the web that is serving the package. Usually there is more than one source to download something!

6 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

Since I am the only source on the web, effective immediately I have archived my own link, in case something happens to my server:

Much appreciated, I've added the new link to the OP.  Is it OK to still keep your link as the primary? I kind of wanted to advertise your site :)

6 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

I find it odd that I am the only source on the web that is serving the package. Usually there is more than one source to download something!

I'm sure someone reading this can create more mirrors. Since your copy already existed, I didn't upload it anywhere else myself because I don't do this sort of thing often enough to have a good handle on which DL sites people prefer these days.

I just tried enabling this on my Latitude D630 running XP SP3 with POSReady updates, and everything looks good, except the test sites all say that H.264 is not supported (what?!)

Why? Is there something I missed? I followed the instructions....

c

I have both activated, and hence YouTube defaults to Flash. Other sites not using Flash anymore also depict fine in my machines.
I'm not on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, however, so I cannot say anything about those...

I actually just registered to thank you for this tutorial. You're a god among men.

Gave about 1-2 years to my old P4 machine with XP Pro SP3. I've been struggling for like 6 months to find a solution to this and I finally found it here. THANK YOU!

Thank you very much for great post! However, I wanted to ask - is there a way to get it working on Firefox 42? I did everything as described, the DRM plugin appeared in the list, but it just doesn't work. I tried the YouTube test page and test page from the link, and MP4 is not marked or played anywhere... Maybe I should look for an older version of the DRM plugin?