Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 11:50 PM, joesi said:

is it possible for me to get APCDM running on a non-ESR install?

Yes it certainty is.

On a related note, the boolean preference variable "plugin.load_flash_only" should be set to false to disable the blocking of the NPAPI plugins, Flash Player notwithstanding (which is not blocked regardless).  On the Firefox 52 ESR channel, this variable is set to false by default; the variable is set to true by default on some of the other Firefox channels.

Regarding switching to ESR, I found out how to do so here: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/03/firefox-52-how-to-keep-on-plugins/

That method may be used; however, if your goal is to be on a true ESR version of Firefox (such as Firefox 52.1.0), then it is more reliable to use the Firefox installer to update the installation of Firefox.  The installer is intended to update, upgrade, and downgrade installations of Firefox and is also converts the Firefox channel in the process.

I'm thinking I could maybe switch to Pale Moon browser, assuming that they haven't disabled/blocked this stuff too (I hear that it doesn't)

I am using the last version of Pale Moon for Windows XP, (version 26.5.0).  Pale Moon was intended to not have support for the the Gecko Media Plugins and should not work with them.

Edited by Ascii2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 1:40 PM, mixit said:

@Andy Sethmaier Since you didn't have Primetime installed before, don't forget to edit media.gmp-manager.url and replace the %VERSION% part with 51.0. This was mentioned a couple of times earlier in the thread, but since I've been lazy, I hadn't yet added it to the opening post by the time you first read it.

Hi, mixit, and all!

I have a new major headache (enclosed .bmp).  Video-streaming links that normally have played for years (as of yesterday) are showing me this error message, "Error loading player: No playable sources found" - Yesterday is when 52.1.1 auto-installed!  There's no other explanation.  Do I rollback to an earlier version of Firefox or what now?  I am demoralized.

- Andy

whatishappening.bmp

Edited by Andy Sethmaier

I'm on the ESR channel, and I just manually updated (with some trepidation!) from 52.1.0 to 52.1.1.
Touch wood, everything still seems to be fine, well YouTube is still working as before anyway!
:yes:

On 2017/4/22 at 5:39 PM, Grgr said:

How to deliver Adobe Primetime Content Decryption Module offline, if the reference media.gmp-manager.url in the future doesn't work?   

Get the Primetime ZIP package from somewhere (like @sdfox7's DL link in the OP), open you profile folder (about:support provides easy access to it), create subfolder gmp-eme-adobe, inside it create subfolder 17, unpack the ZIP file in that folder, restart FF, profit :) Need to set the usual prefs too, of course.

On 2017/5/7 at 5:42 AM, Andy Sethmaier said:

Hi, mixit, and all!

I have a new major headache (enclosed .bmp).  Video-streaming links that normally have played for years (as of yesterday) are showing me this error message, "Error loading player: No playable sources found" - Yesterday is when 52.1.1 auto-installed!  There's no other explanation.  Do I rollback to an earlier version of Firefox or what now?  I am demoralized.

- Andy

whatishappening.bmp

Not sure what's going on there, I'm seeing no problems specifically with 52.1.1. If the plugin looks active on the Plugins page and you're only seeing this problem at some specific sites, it could just be a coincidence and the problem could be with whatever player they're using. There have been a few streaming sites that I haven't been able to get working without Flash, but that's not specific to this latest FF version. If your previous version before 52.1.1 was something older than 52.0, there could be a problem with the site's browser version checking logic that you could maybe overcome by spoofing an earlier version number. like 51.0.

"The code to support the Adobe Primetime CDM was removed from gecko in bug 1329543 in Firefox 53."

--> Stop serving Adobe CDM to Firefox 52 and higher: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1337121#c1

If PrimeTime CDM is still working in Firefox 52, it probably won't be working in Firefox 53. Which is [probably] fine, since XP can't officially run Firefox 53 anyway.

--> Remove Adobe Primetime supporting code: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1329543

10 hours ago, mixit said:

There have been a few streaming sites that I haven't been able to get working without Flash, but that's not specific to this latest FF version.

That's what it was.  I corrected by re-enabling PCDM and OpenH264.  I had them turned off to get a specific site to use Flash instead.  Strange thing is before 52.1.1, Flash would play the site links that I'm now using PCDM for.  I can't think of any other reason why that would happen except for the browser upgrade.  Keep in mind, I am a new PCDM user and always used Flash before, uh, well, May.  So what's up with Flash? 

I'm trying to follow this still not quite sure, I have Firefox version 52.0.1 ESR on Win XP Pro SP3

I am trying to get the Widevine to work in my version , I did look in about preferences content but there isn't any DRM there to turn on/off

How do I get it in &/or download the widevine for my version of Firefox to work

( will downloading the widevine for google install as a addon for Firefox ) I can't find a install for Firefox

i did make New Booleans in about:config and enter strings as suggested then copied the files from chrome for widevide to

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wbs50fye.default-1488742975515

(is this the right place)

As when I goto Add-ons I get Widevine Media Optimizer could not be veried for use in Firefox and has been disabled

these are the strings (new Boolean)   I did

media.gmp-manager.url 52.0.1;               true

How Do I get DRM content button to show in Firefox about prefrences content

extensions.checkCompatibility 52.0.1;       false

media.gmp-widevinecdm.forceSupported  true

media.gmp-widevinecdm.visible                true

media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled               true
media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported    true
media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible                 true
media.gmp.decoder.enabled                    true
media.eme.enabled                                true
media.mediasource.mp4.enabled            true
media.mp4.enabled                               true

media.gmp-widevinecdm.autoupdate        true
media.gmp-widevine.enabled              true
media.gmp-widevinecdm.forceSupported    true
media.gmp-widevinecdm.visable           true

Have I done something wrong or gone wrong

sure I have missed something

how do I get DRM button to appear in about Prefrences content

found how to get widevine content dectryption module to appear in the plugins

If plugin.scan.plid.all    true

it shows in extentions and plugins

extentions is is disabled

plugins will be installed shortly

many thnx

Edited by DrWho3000
a bit bit more

• 4 weeks later...

Firefox 52.2.0 ESR

youtube html5 testpages shows all blue.

soundcloud.com and mixcloud.com aren't working.

when i try to playback something the play symbol stops immediately or the "loading" symbol running infinite.

any way to get those streaming sites working?

Strange, I updated to Firefox 52.2 ESR today, and YouTube is still working fine for me.
Mixcloud.com seems to be fine as well, but I don't think I can test soundcloud.com as I'm not a member.
:dubbio: