front usb computer case connection to pentium iii motherboards

cov3rt

5 minutes ago, submix8c said:

IRQ changes are only allowed if the INF is set up for it (more than one allowable IRQ) AFAICR. And PCI2.2 won't wok in PCI2.1 - look up the "Compliance" info on that. Same goes for APMvsACPI and that's why Win95 has heartburn with many ACPI-Compliant Mobos and the BIOS has to be changed to APM. In addition, many Mobos will shove PCI-Slot#1 into VGA-slot IRQ's (brain hurts right now, can't remember the term). If you're working with an Older MoBo you're going to run into a scad of problems with "fixed" IRQ's. That's why Win95 was deemed a "Plug-And-Pray" OS.

Ha, i get what your saying, the system is using APM, i don't see any ACPI entries in device manager, power management was disabled by default by the bios, seeing that these setups don't really do well with power management settings, specifically for DOS games from what was made known from vogons.org. I'm not sure on why the old wifi card didn't work properly, but i suppose it was a mix of different factors, but i probably won't use that card again, the system isn't perfect, i have to resolve some matters still, i have a feeling the system is infected from a virus(s) and the resource problems / plug and pray relations aren't so nice with it :(, the system just runs erratically, it will work fine and then crash out of nowhere or freeze where i have no choice to keep restarting the computer, turning off the wifi radio / releasing ip addresses doesn't seem to make a difference really either. i have a few AV programs to test. This can include avast 4.8 which still seemed to get updates not too long ago in 2014 by sdfox who was using it on windows 95, outpost firewall pro 2.1, some norton antivirus program in 2001, etc.

Please don't tell me you have Real-Time Avast *and* Norton running! Bad ju-ju! Use one *or* the other, not both (I suppose you're test one-at-a-time?). Too many things go wrong (incompatibility, etc.).

Forget the POS Norton 2001, because WAY obsolete. And Updates are WAY long-gone, beside IF you could get the Definitions to install, nowadays they are YUGE! I know this since I "tricked" Symantec v10 into taking "latest" (it works) but my HDD space is eaten in terms of a whopping 400+MB!

"Suspect virus"... have you tried Over-The-Top Upgrade? Boot to DOS, rename WIN.COM and Reinstall from Clean Source. Mind you, this will wipe any/all Updates (and maybe non-MS-Supplied Drivers) just like a 2K/XP "In-Place Upgrade" (common fix method). This is NO GUARANTEE a Trojan/Virus may still be lurking. Clean any/all Temp-type folders of contents to be sure. BTW, they have a wonderful way of "hiding" under generated names inside (usually) Windows/System32 folders (among other weird places).

Best bet (since it's yours?) would be to nuke-and-reload.

(sigh... been there, done that...)

Well i received more strange results, i tried to install avast 4.8 first, was gonna test each AV program one at a time like you mentioned, it gave me an error of a missing .dll file MSVCP71.dll, in other words, the program wouldn't even run on the system, i then tried to uninstall it so i can test a different AV program but said an error as occurred while trying to remove avast antivirus, uninstallation has been cancelled. tried to uninstall from safe mode, no difference. I tried to install norton, but it said something that had to do with it being obsolete and that it can't be used anymore, weird huh? i then tried to install outpost firewall 2.1, and yes, i know i shouldn't have done this the same way with norton with multiple AV programs but at this point, it doesn't really matter, it installed but in a sort of weird way, like several times it gave an error of not being able to install, i don't have the exact errors, i think it had something to do with IRQ or something, i don't remember though. restarted the system and it also gave an error, and it too didn't run, when i clicked outpost firewall, it would just have the waiting cursor for a second and then nothing happening several seconds later.

With all this said, the only thing that i feel like doing is just wiping the hard drive clean and starting fresh after gathering up enough info. The first signs i suspected that there may be a virus was when i noticed after restarting the system, the MyComputer folder name changed to the name of 133, and i don't know how that would happen, either windows 95 is weird like that and does things like that or it was specifically from a virus. not the system was fine before that, it still crashed randomly and gave fatal exception errors, but i suppose the virus might be responsible for now allowing programs to run properly or work? Do you know why youtube videos don't work though? Could it be related to this virus, or resource problems or some kind of hardware and software conflict or limitation? The last time i used youtube with working videos in 240p with windows 95 was with dell inspiron 8200 using opera 10.63 or firefox 2.0.0.20 with the flash 7 spoof dll file in the plugins folders, the videos played fine a few months ago.

Edited by cov3rt
more information needed

i was able to uninstall the old avast 4.8 and installed it again, though this time, i used a different installer, it seemed like the previous one wasn't specifically for windows 95 or it was modified somehow or maybe some other reason, regardless, the one i have installed now ( 4.8.1368 ) is apparently the last version supported for windows 95 and works, i have a 59 day license only but im trying to see if i can just type in one of those serial number key generators to see if it can make it unlimited or longer. i did a quick normal scan of the hard drive and it didn't detect any threats, i might do a thorough scan maybe sometime later though.

MSVCP71.DLL is part of VS2003 (Visual Studio 7.1) and/or dotNet Framework v1.1. That version of dotNet would install on 98/ME (and up) but not 95 and lower (obviously).

FWIW, I probably have the "redistributable" (tucked somewhere) but can I redistribute without software? :unsure:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1596167/where-to-download-microsoft-visual-c-2003-redistributable

Hrm... Yes, I *may* have it but the file you would want "VS7.1sp1-KB9322981102-X86-Enu.exe" is not available anymore (AFAICT) even on Web Archive.

And I would be mighty careful about discussing K*g*n*r*a*t*s if I were you.

Edit: See this also. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asklar/2011/07/14/how-to-install-the-visual-c-7-1-runtime-on-windows-7/

Edited by submix8c

9 minutes ago, submix8c said:

MSVCP71.DLL is part of VS2003 (Visual Studio 7.1) and/or dotNet Framework v1.1. That version of dotNet would install on 98/ME (and up) but not 95 and lower (obviously).

FWIW, I probably have the "redistributable" (tucked somewhere) but can I redistribute without software? :unsure:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1596167/where-to-download-microsoft-visual-c-2003-redistributable

Hrm... Yes, I *may* have it but the file you would want "VS7.1sp1-KB9322981102-X86-Enu.exe" is not available anymore (AFAICT) even on Web Archive.

And I would be mighty careful about discussing K*g*n*r*a*t*s if I were you.

Edit: See this also. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/asklar/2011/07/14/how-to-install-the-visual-c-7-1-runtime-on-windows-7/

^Thanks for the heads up, although i didn't need that dll file anymore, avast 4.8.1368 installed and worked fine when i used a different installer, for some reason the original installer or package wasn't the right one or somehow modified. im still bothered by the youtube videos not working though, from the thread mentioned below, sdfox7 mentioned that you would need to first install a version of flash 7 if you want to flash 7 spoof version to work, but i never had to do this with the other builds i had, i just had the flash 7 spoof dll file in the appropriate plugin folders of either firefox 2.0.0.20 or opera 10.10 / 10.63 and it worked fine. also i noticed opera 10.63 not working anymore, similar if not exactly the same problem that andrew T had with the opera crash logging message which im deciding to just revert back to using opera 10.10 through the classic setup version, i like to use both firefox 2.0.0.20 and opera 10.10 because firefox runs quicker on some sites but opera 10.10 seems to display pages more properly than firefox does, although i can't remember to be exact if i was comparing opera 10.63 and firefox 2.0.0.20 or opera 10.10 and firefox 2.0.0.20. im unsure on whether or not to include avast in my archived cd contents and builds because none of the builds i had acted weird like this system did, and i feel like the AV program just takes up resources and slows things down more than helping out with anything. i think i might also downgrade to java 1.3.1 which i think is the last officially supported version of java for windows 95, i've been using java 1.5.0.05 for a while now but somehow i feel like java 1.3.1 might work better? plus it takes up like half the space too ( the setup program ).

well i started from a clean install again, tried both firefox 2.0.0.20 and opera 10.10 later on in the build after updating everything and youtube still wouldn't bring up and allow playing of videos. this was with the flash 7 spoof npswf32.dll files in the appropriate plugin folders. interestingly, i also still got fatal exception errors more or less the same way from before and even a invalid page fault as a new one. hopefully youtube not playing videoes is only a problem in this particular setup, i would like to test out a different windows 95 setup soon, most of my previous builds were laptops with newer hardware ( chipsets such as 845mp, mz, 855pm ).

Edited by cov3rt

• 2 weeks later...

well i tested a dell latitude d810 with windows nt 4.0 server installed, applied all necessary updates, ( SP6a, individual updates, etc ), but it too did not allow playing of youtube videos in opera 10.63 with flash 8 installed, i did it through the registry hack way mentioned on a site and followed the instructions properly, interestingly, this method worked last time with a different laptop, so im beginning to think that maybe there is some sort of universal setting in these web browsers they changed to prevents users from using legacy systems such as 9x / NT 4.0, explaining why i couldn't get the flash 7 spoof to work on windows 95 not too long ago, i even tested the flash 7 spoof on windows nt 4.0 server, placing it in the program plugins folder and it still didn't work. opera turbo enabled vs disabled made no difference either in allowing youtube videos to play, also tested VLC on nt 4.0 server and i don't know how others were able to get vlc to work in 9x / nt systems with the same exact versions mentioned on several sites but when i try to put the url in the section needed, it says it can't open it..., but yeh, this youtube problem is just killing me :huh:

well i got vlc to work, at least partially on windows nt 4.0 server, it appears that you would need to select FULL setup for it to function properly, version 0.8.6h was able to play mp4 videos fine, although the quality wasn't the best, but that is a different issue where google should be able to care of possibly. i mentioned partially working because i was not able to get youtube videos to work using one of the url boxes supplied by the vlc settings, it gave an error of some sort. i tried to install klite, 3.45 wouldn't install, mentioning it needs directx 8.1 or later installed, so it's meant for 98SE, oldapps lists it for windows 95 too but the information i just mentioned would contradict that because windows 95 only supports up to directx 8.0a, anyways, the codec packages 2.97 and 2.87 wouldn't even load an mp4 file on nt 4.0 server, tested without vlc installed, since i wanted to see if windows media player or winamp would be able to play them but it mentioned errors having to do with ddraw.dll or dynamic entry point error, etc. it seems like the codec package might be more problematic than good, i'm gonna test vlc 0.8.6h on w95 without klite and see how well it does, im not sure if i should even install klite 3.45 on 98SE, perhaps just test vlc to see how well i can get it to work, i'm really more interested in getting a higher quality video playback on vlc than being able to play videos or music from the internet because youtube on 98SE works anyways, up to hd playback with firefox 3.5.19 with kernelex, adobe flash player 10.3, etc.