MS User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

HoppaLong

XP Pro_SP3

I downloaded this app after reading about it in a computer magazine in the early days of XP.
Never needed it until now. I thought I was an advanced Registry hacker, but the "readme.txt"
included with the install is not what the reviewer description at CNET suggests. The quote
is "well-written help file, which does a good job covering the app." It that were true, I wouldn't
be asking for help at MSFN.

My system shutdown is unpredictable. Sometimes it happens quickly. Occasionally, I wait
minutes, not seconds.

I can create a simple or complex shutdown or reboot script built around any group of Windows
processes. An app like Sysinternals AutoRuns lists every possible process that may or may not
be running on your computer.

Instead of tinkering endlessly with UPHClean, isn't there an applet I could include in a script
that will simply terminate all hanging processes before shutdown?

There are a lot of possible causes, it is not easy to find the cause if the behaviour is not constant/reproducible. :(

A "workaround" is in some cases to shorten the timeout of killing processes, *like*:
http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Slow-Windows-XP-Shutdowns

I guess you are referring to the UHPCLEAN tool (this one should be latest version):
https://web.archive.org/web/20130325060848/http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6676

That might be useful if you actually have issues with unloading a profile, so the first thing would be to check your event logs (as explained in the readme.txt, which actually seems to me an exceptionally good description of the thingy).

jaclaz

7 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

all hanging processes

Do you, by chance have some unneeded Services running? Maybe some that continue to run (like, e.g. Acrobat Reader)? Or perhaps some unnecessary AutoUpdate programs (like, e.g. Acrobat Reader, AntiVirus, Java, Google)? UPHClean won't help you with those. Disable unnecessary services (like, e.g. dotNET Optomizer) and any unnecessary AutoUpdaters (use Manual updates). I have absolutely NO problem with my XP (running it now) shutdown and it's fully updated (WITH dotNet 3.5).

Side Note - and YES, I have UPHClean installed.

HTH

This computer is in my home office. I don't allow anything to auto-update.

I agree that the readme.txt for UPHClean is a very complete outline of how the app
works. After reading this lengthy document I got that "falling into a black hole" feeling.

So far, I've got UPHClean running with its default values. Nothing has changed.

If you're my age then you've probably tried a thousand apps that didn't fix anything.
Decades ago it meant nothing if I had to spend days or weeks fixing a single problem.
The truth is, most intractable problems have been resolved by me, not a third party
app.

With many other Windows systems I've reduced the timeout to kill a process. I don't
think it ever made a significant difference, but I'll try it anyway.

Edited by HoppaLong

7 hours ago, HoppaLong said:

If you're my age then you've probably tried a thousand apps that didn't fix anything.

Sure, but specifically, you are using a "very narrow" tool designed to solve a very specific problem "issues in unloading a profile" without actually having checked that there are issue specifically related to profile unloading.

It's more less like you have a headache and thus you bandage your left ankle, which is very good for a sprained ankle but surprisingly ineffective to relieve you from the headache.

jaclaz